A bad reputation created by some 'modern' car drivers ?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

A bad reputation created by some 'modern' car drivers ?

Post by LobbyLudd »

Having had to do a lot of driving around in a 'modern' car during the last few weeks (covering all types of road , Motorways,' A' roads and country 'B' roads etc.) I have again and again experienced that a lot of drivers of certain makes of car seem to need to overtake all other drivers more so than some other makes at any cost' even in any adverse weather conditions . Without wishing to upset any ' responsible' drivers of any certain modern car make my own recent observation is to have been most often 'tailgated' relentlessly until being overtaken at great speed particularly by a higher number of Audi,s recently (some at blind bends ) for some odd reason ?
What actually gets into some of these drivers minds when behind the wheel of this type of car and why ?? :evil:
I used to think it was a lot of BMW's that had made this reputation not so long ago (brought about probably by the aggressive driving habits of a certain percentage of the total overall BMW drivers)
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: A bad reputation created by some 'modern' car drivers ?

Post by MarkyB »

I don't know about Audis but I drove a BMW a couple of years ago and found that it had a very "aggressive" throttle response.
Just about anything else I've ever driven has been much more progressive and controllable.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

Someone has just said that the Audi is now apparently one of the highest 'aspirational' choices of company car from a list of available choices available for the younger 'go ahead' company executives at the moment ?? :roll:

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Oh yes - an Audi is definitely much better at overtaking than a Morris Minor.... :wink:
ImageImage
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

I think the problem is that these modern cars are SO VERY capable they can be driven like an idiot and the various hi-tech systems can get you out of no end of trouble. They can create a sense of confidence that can make a driver take risks that he/she may not consider in a car without all these gismos. I don't think it is just Audis and BMWs, it is just that they are so common (or should that be popular?)

LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

beero wrote:I think the problem is that these modern cars are SO VERY capable they can be driven like an idiot and the various hi-tech systems can get you out of no end of trouble. They can create a sense of confidence that can make a driver take risks that he/she may not consider in a car without all these gismos. I don't think it is just Audis and BMWs, it is just that they are so common (or should that be popular?)

Yes, it must be a case of being so insulated from the outside world in that so called personal 'safety bubble' that gives a lot of present day drivers a feeling that they are in an inconvenient traffic jam, even when in the outside lane of motorways.
In reality they are dangerously close nose to tail in there own '70 -95 mph traffic jam'. Now that seems a bit scary to me even keeping to the nearside lane in my Morris. This style impatient driving now appears the norm and is seen daily on any stretch of motorway.

kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

It matters not a jot,these days,you get overtaken,and10 mins down the road that car is one car in front of you held up by another,that he overtakes and then 10mins d...................................................I travel the motorways regularly,to the south coast. Its amazing how many times I see a high performance car fly past,then see them fly past again after a service station. I was once overtaken three times by a Subaru,and when I pulled into the ferry terminal at dover,the driver was just pulling up at the check in, two cars in front and I guess a lot more petrol used than my car.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

No one ever seen a lunatic in a modded old car? These people don't just exist in 'moderns' but regarding modern cars be careful of Vauxhauls! Almost always driven by --well I'll leave the word to your imagination. Personal opinion of course :D

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

les wrote:No one ever seen a lunatic in a modded old car? These people don't just exist in 'moderns' but regarding modern cars be careful of Vauxhauls! Almost always driven by --well I'll leave the word to your imagination. Personal opinion of course :D
Mine is a badge engineered Vauxhall - Opel keys and horn push!

Get out of that, buster!!

Chris.Stevens
MINOReg Historian & Archivist
Freelance saviour of mankind and the universe
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Get out of it?---I wouldn't be getting in it!
les.
Collector of long overdue books.

qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

les wrote:Collector of long overdue books.
Must be a rather small collection, unless I am mistaken.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

les wrote:Get out of it?---I wouldn't be getting in it!
les.
Collector of long overdue books.
I contacted MMOC HQ for Parts Book info I required, greeted with a "NIL POIS" - best person to help you is "such and such", have you contacted "such and such"? NO, I have NOT contacted "such and such" because if I had known "such and such" was the best person to contact, we wouldn't be having this conversation......okay, would you let me have "such and such's" contact details? Sorry, unable to supply "such and such's" details because you are NOT a member.....!

This is what I'm up against!!

As for requesting BODY numbers......less of a struggle to donate a lung.....
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I thought you were going to buy the ones recently advertised by a poster on this forum. Would have saved some hassle and you would have got a bargain.

LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

Today Friday 24th Oct was driving at approx 5pm on a B road in the New Forest and keeping to the 40mph as very clearly sign painted at regular intervals on the road surface.
Suddenly around a bend and in the middle of the road - YES , a large shiny new looking black Audi coming towards me driven by a young guy in white shirt sleeves approaching at least 60mph forcing me over into the side of the road!!

Is it just me they are determined to get!!! and why I wonder :-?

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

les wrote:I thought you were going to buy the ones recently advertised by a poster on this forum. Would have saved some hassle and you would have got a bargain.
Didn't get back to me!

So, I'm in a awful situation whereby I have 20 people nagging on at
me about when this wretched book is due out, cannot find required AKD's,
constantly asking for body numbers with VERY limited responces,
desperate to find out AddPk Traveller change points, seemingly
no-one's interested, have to work out Aussie build dates/ranges -
identified TWO previously unknown id systems, RSA CKD id system to
tidy.up, YET to even START on Brittains stuff.
Add to this month by month body numbering id, BL colour change
points, what the mysterious "0" LCV chassis prefix denotes.

Perhaps you can understand the struggle I'm faced with?
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

Anyway..... and out of interest ...... which make of 'modern' do you think deserves your own special vote as the title for having the worst driving behaviour reputation on our various roads and why??
(These individual vehicles may all be wonderful marvels of present day technology and engineering advancement ...... but driven in the hands of just a few individual prats !!! :roll: )

MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Just about any 4x4 would get my vote although in London the stardard of driving is abysmal and defensive driving is the order of the day, every day :(

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

I saw a 4x4 (Japanese, I think) that had somehow had its roof and windscreen caved in, coming out of sleepy Herne Bay in Kent the other night; I'm guessing the driver must have gone around the S-bends there a bit too fast and rolled it. :roll:

There were a couple of police vans present, but I didn't see any other vehicles involved, so I suspect it was just the 4x4 driver at fault...
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

Today the worst behaviour was involving a new model white Range Rover (the one with the very low squashed down roof) driven by a very young lady constantly tailgating and trying to overtake on bends,so close I could count her heavily mascara'd lashes. Obviously 'outraged' that I was keeping fairly close to the legal speed limits through a village complete with a primary school entrance etc. etc.

I just pulled over, and after a blasting to me on her car horn, it then vanished into the distance at an incredible speed !

I have come to the conclusion it can be any number from a range of the top rated 'luxury' and very 'expensive' vehicle type that allows some particular drivers an automatic right to drive like this.

I now rest my case :-?

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

LobbyLudd wrote:Today the worst behaviour was involving a new model white Range Rover (the one with the very low squashed down roof) driven by a very young lady constantly tailgating and trying to overtake on bends,so close I could count her heavily mascara'd lashes. Obviously 'outraged' that I was keeping fairly close to the legal speed limits through a village complete with a primary school entrance etc. etc.

I just pulled over, and after a blasting to me on her car horn, it then vanished into the distance at an incredible speed !

I have come to the conclusion it can be any number from a range of the top rated 'luxury' and very 'expensive' vehicle type that allows some particular drivers an automatic right to drive like this.

I now rest my case :-?

Totally agree!

Today, had one of those new Audi's [horizontal front lights?] overtake
me going along a bypass, mile or so later caught up to him at the lights,
they changed to green just as I approached them and I zoomed straight
past the dopey pillock.
Single carriageway from then on, but you could almost see the steam
coming out of his ears!