A bad reputation created by some 'modern' car drivers ?

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
minor65
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: A bad reputation created by some 'modern' car drivers ?

Post by minor65 »

Nothing makes me happier, when that happens 8)

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

What mode of propelled transport do you give to the stupidest and
hopelessly inept motorist?.........a Ford Ka!
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
qwerty165
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by qwerty165 »

POMMReg wrote:What mode of propelled transport do you give to the stupidest and
hopelessly inept motorist
Public transport, maybe?

LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

POMMReg wrote:What mode of propelled transport do you give to the stupidest and
hopelessly inept motorist?.........a Ford Ka!
Brand new and the latest model Porche or an Audi ( each must be driven by a company executive on expenses with obligatory phone clamped to ear whilst overtaking every other road user at any cost ) just 'fresh' from the showroom.

Not forgetting the latest BMW in similar circumstances as above . BMW = BIGGER Monthly Wage
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

If I can't see the number plate in the rear view mirror they are too damm close
[sig]3580[/sig]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

What if its a bike rather than a car Mike? :lol:

Tea
Minor Fan

Post by Tea »

LobbyLudd wrote:
I have come to the conclusion it can be any number from a range of the top rated 'luxury' and very 'expensive' vehicle type that allows some particular drivers an automatic right to drive like this.
You are absolutely correct. Here's an interesting talk that relates and uses a great study for the proof. If you have time watch the whole talk and if not, the part that is most relevant starts at 8:08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ8Kq1wucsk
moggiethouable
Minor Legend

Post by moggiethouable »

For my own part, I marvel at the confidence drivers have in their cars ability to stop in time, the distances left by drivers in the outside lane, particularly on the A1m at home time, is real scary, (these people must live in fabulous houses, or they are all on fire,) I have developed a habit now of coasting in the inside lane at a slightly slower speed, with lots of space tween me and the usually equally old geezer in front.
This morning an Audi cut me out, panicked as he spotted me at the last minute and then carried on "blindly" without a care in the world, he did turn off and I passed him offering my spectacles, I have a spare pair you see, he respectfully saluted and declined my offer.
The Minor when it appeared on my drive some 3 or so years ago taught me I think that good driving is an art, yes I know we all think we are good drivers, but perhaps lessons in a minor/Mini/Ital or some such would be beneficial to all.
I recall Tiff Needell saying he learned to drive in a Minor and thought it helped him enormously.
Where angels fear to tread
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

"Bimbo-mobiles" (Mini One)

Toddling along a winding country road today, had one of the above tailgating me, I had
to brake quite sharply to avoid splatting a squirrel, squealing brakes behind me followed
by a few horn beeps - in my mirror,a stationary Mini One!!

Obviously I'm not a safe driver!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I did the same thing a few years back, also avoiding a squirrel, unfortunately someone ran into me from behind. The good news being, the squirrel lived! :D

LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

I just wondered also if this particular number of todays inconsiderate drivers of this model type of car are totally convinced,
( as portrayed in the latest mega budget TV special digitally enhanced fantasy world video footage,) that they suddenly assume 'special superior powers' above any other road user ,pedestrian or any other unfortunate animal , when in the driving seat .

Are these drivers possibly dim enough to be influenced in some way and somewhere in the mind to think . - " I am actually driving one of those special cars that flies like a space missile , and then racing along a country road, always, always, being the only vehicle ever to be in existance on the deserted open road and nothing else is ever around any of the many windy bends I am also immune from any danger when driving at this fantastic speed - just as the ads show "
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It's crossed my mind before now, that some drivers displaying this sort of behaviour, probably have other issues going on in their lives and it's reflected in their aggression. However it's not easy to feel sorry for them despite their problems.

POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

les wrote:I did the same thing a few years back, also avoiding a squirrel, unfortunately someone ran into me from behind. The good news being, the squirrel lived! :D
Apparently - according to experts - Squirrels can survive falls from 30ft.

Sooooo....If someone paints "31" on your back.....blah blah
Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

Don't think anyone has mentioned lorry drivers of any nationality, including British. I've spent today travelling from Aberdeen to the Midlands, and have passed through many motorway roadworks with restricted speed limit in force. Most were enforced by 'average speed' cameras. I came through every one with the speed limiter engaged on the C4 to ensure I kept within the law. Every lorry that was in my rear-view mirror on entering the roadworks had passed me by, by the time I'd got out the other end, including lorries that were a mile or more behind me!!

Photo taken at Skaw Beach, Unst, Shetland Islands. The very end of the most northerly road in the British Isles.

Owned 663 KYC a 1961 Clipper Blue Morris Minor Tourer.
Propriétaire d'un 1988 Vert Bambou et Blanc Meije Citroën 2CV-Six Spécial.
leafie

Post by leafie »

I had to shake my head today a Ranger Rover Evoque driver who whilst I was driving along the M60 through road works with a 50 mph limit and average speed cameras passed me like I was stood still, upon seeing the speed camera braked to 50 mph and after passing the camera floored it again. :o
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

leafie wrote:I had to shake my head today a Ranger Rover Evoque driver who whilst I was driving along the M60 through road works with a 50 mph limit and average speed cameras passed me like I was stood still, upon seeing the speed camera braked to 50 mph and after passing the camera floored it again. :o
The concept and understanding of the term "average speed" means nothing to some drivers, usually the ones in expensive German cars :(
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

Deserves all he/she gets. Just hope it's a summons.

Photo taken at Skaw Beach, Unst, Shetland Islands. The very end of the most northerly road in the British Isles.

Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

Another annoying habit of lorry drivers is pulling out in front of other vehicles. I often find that lane 3 on a motorway is full of Audis/BMWs/Mercedes/Porsches/VWs (you get my drift :wink: ) all travelling at 85-90mph, and I'm in lane 2 overtaking a group of lorries, when one will decide he's going to pull out, even though I'm travelling along at 70mph and I'm in line with his rear wheels!! Where the hell does he expect me to go? I can't move over to lane 3 as the 'Germans' are driving too fast and won't let me in either. I end up having to brake sharply then have to sit behind the lorry for the next five miles as it inches its way past ten lorries. It beggars belief, it truly does.

PS: Who started this thread? It's just producing negative vibes. LOL :lol:

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Good job no one on this forum has a German car, if they had, they would, unfortunately, not be held in high regard. Except perhaps for their recognition of quality engineering! :D

Deux Chevaux
Minor Friendly

Post by Deux Chevaux »

les wrote:Good job no one on this forum has a German car, if they had, they would, unfortunately, not be held in high regard. Except perhaps for their recognition of quality engineering! :D
No doubt there are some owners of Teutonic engineering on this forum, but I'd hazard a guess that they're keeping a low profile on this thread. :lol:
Last edited by Deux Chevaux on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.