Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Gear lever removal

Post by Mark Wilson »

I'm about to remove my engine and box, but I've read dire warnings about not dropping the anti rattle plunger and spring into the casing when removing the lever. What's the removal sequence to avoid this? I assume this applies to all plungers (haven't looked yet to see if there's one or two) including the reverse. It's a late 1000 Traveller.

Mark
biomed32uk
Minor Addict

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by biomed32uk »

Remove the gaiter etc etc.

You'll see a plate with three screws on the top, undo and lift the plate away. The gear lever will now lift out.

The plunger is at about 7 o'clock, its not going to fly out under loads of tension, and will probably just sit there, small pair of pliers hook it out and the spring.

Its only going to drop into the remote control housing if it did, bit of a pain to get back as you would probably have to take the cover off underneath.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar
MMOC Member: No

Post by mike.perry »

Undo the three bolts on top of the gear lever cover plate and remove the gear lever carefully. The plungers should stay in place. Never had any problems myself, maybe I am just lucky!
[sig]3580[/sig]
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

Thanks gents, that's helpful and a relief. I did have visions of a total box strip down if I got it wrong....