Trafficator fixings

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
vee12jag
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Trafficator fixings

Post by vee12jag »

Hi,
I'm getting ready to put the trafficators back in my 56 Series 2.
Can anyone tell me what size the cup washer should be that sits under the screw on the outside of the body?
Does the cup washer sit inside the recess in the body or on top?
Is there a cup washer at the top and bottom mount on each side? Some pics I see only show the chrome screw/cup washer in the top hole.
In the parts manual it shows the screw to fit the bottom trafficator mount fits from the inside. Is this correct? If so how does that work without a protruding thread thru the body.
Sorry to ask silly questions but I want to get it right. Also any tips how to get the trafficators in place in the body would be great. I currently have them mounted to the brackets.
Cheers
Mark
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Trafficator fixings

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Im guessing its a 2 door with the trafficators low down, they have cup washers top and bottom and it should be big enough to cover the hole in the body. Do clean the inside of the screw holes with some rubbing down paper as this is were the trafficator earth to the body and u want a good connection were it touches the bracket. Once you have them loosely in place its a matter of adjusting the screws at the body to get the best position so the arm doesnt hit anywhere and they open freely.

Do remember when your driving with them and you pull in to let your passenger out to cancel the trafficator so they dont jump out and break off you shiney new arm....... Some years ago a friend had restored a convertible and let me have a drive in it on its first run out. New old stock trafficators had been sourced at around £75 each, I indicated and pulled into the kerb, he got out and broke it off, Im not sure which one of us was more annoyed :oops:

Too many Minors so little time.....
vee12jag
Minor Friendly

Post by vee12jag »

HiDavid, thanks for your reply. Have you got any idea how the 'rain shield' fits to the inside of the body adjacent to the traficators?
Thanks
Mark
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

If I remember correctly it fits with the same two mounting screws, but it's a few years ago now...

While we are on the subject, I strongly recommend the flashing bulbs. They turn an often invisible (to other motorists) indicator to something that draws the eye and hence the attention. Definitely a big improvement.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Flashing bulbs ? Do you have a part no or supplier. Is it the modification where the bulb is feed independently from the trafficator through a flasher unit .

Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

No, they are flashing LED bulbs, just a straight swap for the standard bulbs and the trafficators flash and are brighter.
http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php

I fitted a pair to my car about a year ago and cannot recommend them highly enough.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD