CHO 315C - Blue Traveller

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
RichardS
MMOC Member: No

CHO 315C - Blue Traveller

Post by RichardS »

I have just bought a blue Traveller in Germany where I live which was exported to Germany in May/June 2007. Unfortunately all the UK documentation has been lost but I believe it may have been restored about 10 years ago.
I have an MOT certificate form April 2007 issued in Enfield and one from March 2006 issued in Ashford.
I am trying to establish the history file on this car and have written to the DVLA but would appreciate any information on it.
The UK registration was CHO 315C
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: CHO 315C - Blue Traveller

Post by MarkyB »

Doesn't add much apart from date of first registration;
Vehicle details

12 Month rate £0.00
Vehicle make MORRIS
Date of first registration 20 July 1965
Year of manufacture 1965
Cylinder capacity (cc) 1098cc
CO₂Emissions Not available
Fuel type PETROL
Vehicle status Not taxed
Vehicle colour BLUE
Vehicle type approval Not available
Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight Not available

It seems they have stopped saying if cars have been exported.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Further to this mail I have now received the BMIHT Heritage Certificate which states that the date of build was 6-11 May 1966. On request this date was checked and confirmed.
However the chassis no. is M-AW5D/1108315 which implies it is a car from 1965. The registration, CHO 315C, is from 1965 and the available MOT certificates give 20 July 1965 as date of first registration. Engine and body numbers are as given on the certificate
I am now confused. Does anyone have an explanation?
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by busguy »

My Glasses guide chassis number books say it is a 1965, if the chassis number you list is correct.
Jan 65 traveller start chassis number was 1092772, and Jan 1966 traveller chassis number start was 1131829.

Were the actual body numbers supplied for the history certificate, as well as the chassis number?

There have been mistakes made before on dating vehicles. If the body number is found to definitely be a '66 and the car chassis number a '65, it just might be a rare re-shell after early life damage, ...... or plate or plates might have been swopped!

CHO ***C registrations were definitely all issued in Hampshire in July 1965 according to another Glasses guide book of registrations of the period.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

It may well be that the car just didn't sell/ i.e. wasn't registered until 1966.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by busguy »

ASL642 wrote:It may well be that the car just didn't sell/ i.e. wasn't registered until 1966.
Build date listed as 1966 on certificate, chassis number definitely in 1965 sequence, and definitely registered in 1965????
So it was registered before it was built on this info, not as you suggest .............. :roll: :wink:
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Thanks for your suggestions.

The build date on the certificate is 6-11 May 1966 with dispatch on 11 May 1966 to a dealer in Hampshire. The registration CHO 315C is a Hampshire no. but from 1965.

First registration from car documentation is 20 July 1965 which would be consistent with dispatch on 11 May 1965.

Chassis, engine and body nos. on certificate agree with those on car plates and chassis no. is consistent with a 1965 car.

For now I will assume that there is a typo in the build records ie. what appears as 1966 should be 1965. This seems to me to be the most logical explanation.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Sorry misread dates! If you have been to Gaydon and viewed the build books from which they take all the data for the Heritage certificates you would be amazed they could read any info at all. The info on the early cars was all entered carefully into the ledgers in copperplate handwriting - on the later cars some info is entered into the wrong boxes very hurriedly in pencil with gaps. I found 2 cars with same numbers!!! so anyone searching for the heritage certificate would simply copy the info in the book.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

ASL642 wrote:If you have been to Gaydon and viewed the build books from which they take all the data for the Heritage certificates you would be amazed they could read any info at all. The info on the early cars was all entered carefully into the ledgers in copperplate handwriting - on the later cars some info is entered into the wrong boxes very hurriedly in pencil with gaps.
That sort of confirms my assumption. After all, a handwritten "5" can easily be mistaken for a "6".

[frame]Image[/frame]