Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Maximas
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Replacing a semaphore and where to buy

Post by Maximas »

I have a broken lens on my semaphore...never had to touch these before...any pointers please on how to change the lens would be welcomed,also best one and where to buy from...thanks in advance... :lol:
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: Replacing a semaphore and where to buy

Post by ASL642 »

Here? http://morrisminorspares.co.uk/shop/pro ... dc00afcc77

Sorry can't help with refitting as I don't have a car with them on - try posting a request in the electrical section. :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

If it's just the lens and the chrome body is ok then it's just a single screw on the end securing the lens to the arm. Simple enough to replace.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Switch the indicator on and slacken the clamping screw underneath the arm and the securing screw on the end of the arm. Lift the top of the stainless steal semaphore cover and push back slightly to disengage the cover from the arm. Then carefully pull the lens out.
Carefully push the new lens in until the clamp is against the shoulder of the lens. It might take some persuasion and a drop of WD 40 may help but take care not to bend the arm. Hook the cover securing tongue in place and check that the top cover fits over the lens and the securing screw will fit in place. Lift the cover check that the coiled section of the wire fits in the botton of the lens and drop the bulb in place. Fit the end securing screw and test.
In future cancel the indicators bfore you get out of the car!!!
Last edited by mike.perry on Sun May 24, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Maximas
Minor Friendly

Post by Maximas »

Thanks for the reply so....I didn't see the little screw holding it in place...will get this ordered on tue
Thanks again everyone
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Be aware if you want originality that the item highlighted is a pretty inferior reproduction part. I replaced one of mine recently and bought one of these :-? A bit of searching on the internet and I found an original Lucas one which was more expensive but vastly superior.
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

ManyMinors wrote:Be aware if you want originality that the item highlighted is a pretty inferior reproduction part. I replaced one of mine recently and bought one of these :-? A bit of searching on the internet and I found an original Lucas one which was more expensive but vastly superior.
I agree, high visibility parts such as trafficators, trim etc. are poorly reproduced and this is reflected in the price you pay.
This is especially noticeable in parts imported from abroad.
Far better to trawl the net and buy an original replacement, even if it needs a clean up.
I have just done exactly that with Jethro's dip switch which had been bodge fitted by the previous owner.
Listed at £25 from supplier (with no spacer plinth) plus postage - I bought an original switch with plinth for £6.99 plus £1.80 postage on Ebay and after a clean up and a coat of paint it looks as good as new! :D

Maximas
Minor Friendly

Post by Maximas »

Thanks for all the I put...it's now off and with a temp repair until I find another....feel free to get in touch if you have a spare you don't need in the mean time
Thanks again
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Disconnect the wiring to the broken trafficator until it is repaired
[sig]3580[/sig]