Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sionsevern
MMOC Member: No

Saloon to convertible conversion - Advice and Help

Post by sionsevern »

Hi

I'm new to this but would like some help if possible. I have a 1967 light blue two door saloon and I am thinking of having the roof chopped to make it a convertible. I am wanting a good job done on it because its my pride and joy. I have had the car for about 11 years and its in very good condition and sound underneath. Is there anyone with any advice on if its a good idea?? Also does anyone have any contact details of anyone who is good at doing this job. I live in the Notts area but I am happy to travel to make sure I get a good and proper job done. Any information or help will much appreciated.

Look forward to any responses.
Thanks
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: Saloon to convertible conversion - Advice and Help

Post by aupickup »

get hold of canterbury convertables
i am sure they will advise you
sionsevern

Post by sionsevern »

I have and they don't do the conversions, and they don't anyone to recommend.

Thanks
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

I had one that started life as a 59 saloon.I'm not even sure that the conversion kits are still available.If they are unless you have the skills to do the work yourself I suggest you don't bother.There's a hell of a lot of hours work to do it,repainting is necessary in the areas needing welding,a body shop would charge a fortune if you could find one willing to take it on.It would cost less to buy a genuine convertible and that car would have the correct info on the body and the V5.Prices will be high right now but will drop again when summer's over.I should still have the video of how its done somewhere.
Mick
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Pretty sure Canterbury Convertibles pride themselves on NOT selling converted cars.
Mick
leafie
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by leafie »

I know Millennium Minors in Manchester have done some in the past.
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Bull Motif sell the complete conversion kits.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Thats not bad then.With everflex roof and VAT about £1100.No idea what paying someone to fit it would be though.
Mick
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

also esm
might be best to get an original convertable
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I've done a handful myself now. Some of the instructions you get with the kits can be a bit brief, so if you do it yourself and need any advice just ask. Been meaning to put together a 'real world' how to article for the magazine but not had time yet :-?

Incidentally, if anyone needs a spare roof for a saloon I have a few. Bit loath to throw them away - dunno why... :-?
Last edited by IaininTenbury on Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
moggalot
Minor Friendly

Post by moggalot »

I built one about 20 years ago using a kit from Ron Tofts in Martock nr. Yeovil. It turned out well and wasn't that difficult. I think he still does the conversion work now. You need to be fairly critical about the condition of the car before you start, the sills have to be spot on, condition wise. (Get rid of any overplating first) I can put you in touch with someone who builds them for a living (in Dorset) if you are interested.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

If you have a good saloon already, I would encourage you to go ahead with the conversion. Yes, you COULD buy an original convertible, but you've got to actually FIND a properly good one at a sensible price first!
When looking for one myself a few years ago, I finished up buying a converted car because it was much cheaper and in much better condition than any "genuine" cars I saw. It has been done over 20years now and was carried out using a rust-free shell, properly converted by a company in the South West whose name I can't recall unfortunately.
The result is an excellent vehicle which has given us great pleasure in almost daily use. No, it isn't "original" but there isn't much point in keeping something original just for the sake of it if it isn't what you want :wink: .
sionsevern

Post by sionsevern »

Hi moggalot.

Any information of anyone who would do the job for me would be amazing. I'm going to have a look at Charles ware tomorrow but would be nice to compare.

Thanks
moggalot
Minor Friendly

Post by moggalot »

Sorry, but the guy I was going to ask has gone away on holiday for about 3 weeks (abroad). I will ask when he comes back and pass it on (by which time it will probably be too late!)

moggalot
Minor Friendly

Post by moggalot »

He's back now, so if you still need a contact please pm me.