By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Painting steel, aluminium and fibreglass

Post by Sidney'61 »

Hi,

I'm hoping to respray my traveller.
I have sprayed a saloon before so I'm comfortable with prepping and painting steel, but this has fibreglass wings and of course an aluminium roof. What are the best methods to use for stripping, prepping and painting each of these?

Thanks,
Andy
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Painting steel, aluminium and fibreglass

Post by kennatt »

same procedure but don't use Etch primer on the fiberglass or wet flat it ,it absorbs water.It's also recommended to put a plasticizer in celly on top of F/G but I've used it without with no problems on a couple of scimitars,but probably better to take the advice of the paint suppliers. Good luck with it
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

Not only ali roof, of course, but side panels and rear door panels too..

Bertie.
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Thanks for the responses :)

My next question then is whats the best way to remove old paint from fibreglass?
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Same method as removing it from steel.You dont have to remove it unless its oil based and youre using celly or two pack.Youre just flatting to give a good surface for the new stuff.
Mick
ajsreeve

Post by ajsreeve »

Hi guys,

Just read through this post. I also had a question about prep and painting. I am currently in the process of restoring my 1958 Morris 1000. At the moment I am attempting to remove the paint, rust, sealant, wax etc... myself to save on costs when I send her off to be welded and painted. Although it will be at least a month before she goes to be welded, I wondered what precautions I should take to protect the bare steel? I don't want to leave it as i'm sure surface rust would develop. So should I apply a rust proofing coat? or a primer? If so, any recommendations as to what? I'm just looking for something to protect the metal temporarily... i'm not sure what the paint shop require as i'm still awaiting a reply to my email... :x
Redmoggy
Minor Fan

Post by Redmoggy »

Quick coat of etch primer would go someway to protect the surface and should not cause issues for the paint shop.

Rod
ajsreeve

Post by ajsreeve »

Thanks Rod.

Will look into it.

Alex