Anyone else own a Land rover

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
samuria
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Anyone else own a Land rover

Post by samuria »

8) nice ......
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

I have a 1980 FFR 2 1/4 ltr air portable which I have been trying to finish off for the last few years but never seem to find the time or interest to do so.
It has had a new galvanised chassis fitted, bulkhead grit blasted and all new metal fitted, I have a brand new vent panel, new door bottoms. Fitted with hard top with side windows, Fairy overdrive, Fairy Free Wheeling Hubs, Weber carb fitted, electric winch on front with remote, lots of new spares fitted and on the shelf. 48k miles from new. I would say 80% completed. Might be persuaded to sell if the price was right. Currently on SORN

samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

philthehill wrote:I have a 1980 FFR 2 1/4 ltr air portable which I have been trying to finish off for the last few years but never seem to find the time or interest to do so.
It has had a new galvanised chassis fitted, bulkhead grit blasted and all new metal fitted, I have a brand new vent panel, new door bottoms. Fitted with hard top with side windows, Fairy overdrive, Fairy Free Wheeling Hubs, Weber carb fitted, electric winch on front with remote, lots of new spares fitted and on the shelf. 48k miles from new. I would say 80% completed. Might be persuaded to sell if the price was right. Currently on SORN

sounds good... pity its not
tax exempt ... :wink:
grantstew8
Minor Friendly

Post by grantstew8 »

Yes, two....both Series 3 SWB, one a '75 and other '74, one just on the road and the second is queued up behind a moggie I've just started to refurb. Major differences working on the LR and MM is crawl space and the size and weight of parts.
Use the Landy around the farm, primarily to take the bins to the bottom of the road. Apparently the bin men will suffer from "whole body vibration" if they use our road to come up to the house to collect the bins. Let's not start a debate, I've lost to the council and fortunately can take the bins standing vertically. If we had a normal car, it would be taking it done in a leaking bag....

Designed and built the Teardrop trailer on the base of a 2 berth caravan, still making slight adjustments but we've used it for 2 years now and love it.

Glad I've a reasonable collection of imperial spanners, the Landy was slightly more metric than the '69 MM. Learning curve on the MM is steep but this forum is proving invaluable. Thanks folks.
"To begin, begin" William Wordsworth.
Build blog https://boristhemorris.wordpress.com/
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I used to drive these amazing vehicles all the time when I worked on opencast coal sites in the 1980's. They would take you anywhere,provided you had half a brain. The NCB would only buy UK made cars at the time,our contractors used Daihatsus which had a narrow wheelbase and couldn't straddle the ruts. All their
guys got used to driving around at 45degrees! Mind you, the Japanese cars were more reliable and a bit more civilised on road.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

I've just removed a wasp nest from the engine bay on my Series 1 yesterday :-? It was blackbirds nesting in the battery bay last year - must get on with making it more mobile and less of a nature reserve...
The 130 is still doing good service though, its just done duties in the heavily overgrown field behind the house, flattening the 4 foot high undergrowth so I had a fighting chance of getting the Minor van up there with a little trailer full of loads of garden waste to dump. I know I could have put the garden waste in the Land Rover, but the Minor with little trailer can get to parts of the garden that the land rover is too wide for so it sort of made sense...
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Take the trailer off the minor and put it on the landy?

I am on the lookout for a 200tdi/300tdi/or possibly td5 defender county 110 - but they are making too much money :cry:
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
grantstew8
Minor Friendly

Post by grantstew8 »

Hey Matt
Keep your eye on ebay and gumtree although watch out for scams. LRO mag has a few Landies for less than a grand. :D
http://www.lro.com/search/type-motors/s ... ice-0-1000
"To begin, begin" William Wordsworth.
Build blog https://boristhemorris.wordpress.com/
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Yeah iv got one. 200tdi defender that iv rebuilt onto a galvanised chassis. Tho iv left it looking tatty as it is used. Il post some pictures at somepoint.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Matt wrote:Take the trailer off the minor and put it on the landy?

I am on the lookout for a 200tdi/300tdi/or possibly td5 defender county 110 - but they are making too much money :cry:
The Land Rover was too big to get round onto the top lawn, (both height and turning circle) otherwise I'd have just loaded that up. Also the little camping trailer is completely invisible to the driver when on the Land Rover, so reversing is a matter of guess work. It all made sense honest! :)
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

I know this is a Morris Minor forum but being as this topic covers Land Rovers I thought I have got nothing to loose. So here goes I have just brought a 1982 series 3 short wheel base land rover, it has come with tyres which are bigger than the standard ones; so far I have been unable to find the size of standard tyres so my question is what are the correct size of the tyres. Also does anyone know where I could find a handbook, I have looked on ebay but was only able to find restoration manuals.
Picture taken from the advert.
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg (193.4 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Last edited by qwerty165 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

if fitted with standard swb rims 6.00x16 or 205rx16

most guys in the series 2 club change the wheels to lwb rims and fit 7.50x16.

which are fitted to mine.
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

Thank you, for the information.

OHP 900
Minor Friendly

Post by OHP 900 »

I've got a 1959 SWB Series II, had it since the summer of 2011. Beautiful old car with a lovely patina and an original canvas. According to the chassis number it should be a diesel, as it's a '59 car that means it should have a 2.0 Series I engine :D . It's petrol now but I'm hoping it's been converted as they only made just over 500 of these 2.0 diesels!

Unfortunately it's lost it's original reg, I'm going to try and get the smaller round black mirrors for it too. The van has its towing bumper on in the photo btw, I've got the original.
[frame]Image[/frame]
'49 saloon - LMM 982
‘52 4 door saloon - KWP 463
'53 van - OHP 900
‘54 Traveller - LVJ 184
'56 4 door saloon - 656 BPK
Million #281 - 1620 MY
'63 2 door saloon - KGH 680A (was 936 STX)
‘65 2 door saloon - CYD 315C
'66 Traveller - FHW 952D
'66 2 door saloon - KUD 108D
'66 Convertible - GKE 885D
'68 2 door saloon - TUW 453F
'68 4 door saloon - TYA 501G
'69 2 door saloon - RKJ 882G
'69 2 door saloon - ROU 979G
‘69 Traveller - LWL 835G

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I hope this Facebook photo shows up! Though I usually drive "Dibble" the white convertible pictured below, on Saturday, I got to drive the lovely condition series 2 a land rover pictured above. Quite a culture shock after driving my Minor.

Do they all have oddly positioned pedals a very heavy clutch, vaugue steering with lots of play in a straight line and very heavy round mini roundabouts. Not to mention the 98Decibels recorded at 50 MPH.

Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

if adjusted the steering should be fine , yes to the noise...
(mine is anyway with its 200 tdi) as for the mini roundabouts...
i just drive over them :lol: :lol:
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

This particular 1968 series II a wandered about on the motorway at 50mph. I had to constantly steer to keep it in line, does this mean the steering box needs adjusting???
ImageImage
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

i had the same problem :roll:
was told to check
1. the four u bolts. this can make the steering wander. so re-tighten
2. the oil level in the steering box. (ep 90)
3. adjust the steering box. from under the off side front wing.

http://mud4fun.com/2013/02/03/steering-box-adjustment/
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Thanks for that! I've now got the job of trying that to improve the steering.
ImageImage
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

ha ha, volunteers one step forward.