New member with moggie

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: New member with moggie

Post by ian.mcdougall »

I am not having a go but just pointing out to you that the way that car is supported is not very safe,if you had the blocks flat on the ground and another on top on both sides it would be more stable, you need to think carefully before crawling under a car, look at the way its supported if not safe let it down and start again, its not worth getting injured or even worse.

Johnd103
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by Johnd103 »

I seen the pickup one and the work was incredible on it I'm looking to have a nice clean moggie at the end I'm not going mad on detail when restoring would love a usealbe drivable classic car that I can rely on with a nice paint job that won't really offend the purists .. The restoration threads have given me great inspiration so far I have to say and my deadline for next summer seems far fetched to me now . still waiting on the delivery of my clean shell but for now I have the rear axle out stripped de rusted and painted satin black and today I'm working on removing the front suspension from her .. I have been lucky so far with nuts and bolts coming off apart from the Bell housing ones that want to be a nightmare . even the impact driver won't shift them
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

I have the car changed around ian its sitting on four blocks now and there was no way I was getting under it like that had a scary experience before of one falling on me so won't make the same mistake twice that pic was taken when I was changing the axle stands over for blocks because I need them for my shell
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Another Irish built feature on the axle that Ive never saw on a British built Minor is the metal surround around the backing plate of the axle. You can see this in your, Ive always wondered what it was for. Nicely painted up by the way! :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Thank you I wonder is there much other differences I have shamrocks on the glass after closer inspection .. Today I have taken out the front suspension .. Easy enough wire brushed it down used rustins rust remover .. Brilliant stuff goes back to bare metal and primed and got the Mrs to paint one side up having problems removing the little bolt out of the wheel cylinders there between an 8 and 9 mm tried a vice grips and no joy there really tight .. Is this a common thing or just my luck ?
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Just a little update have stripped moreboff her and found more horror stories good job I'm not restoring this shell or id need shares in bull motif alot of useable parts on it though quick pic of what I've found[frame]Image[/frame]
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Just a sneak pic of the colour hope ye like it just wanted a modern twist with it just tested it so finish isn't the best but happy with colour[frame]Image[/frame]
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

New shell arrived today delighted needs a small bit of welding but nothing major[frame]Image[/frame]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Whats happened the front wing and suspension?

Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

It got a bang of a modern car but its just the inner wing that took the brunt of it chassis straight in it .. Car was on the road till last year and rest of shell is near perfect
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

[frame]Image[/frame]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Ouch atleast the rest of the shell is ok tho. I bent a marina upright and nothing else a couple of years ago. Nobody could believe i done it.
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

I was lucky with it but older cars seem to take a bang better than younger ones the shell is pretty straight I managed to roll it over today amazing how light they are with nothing in it .. Few bits of rust but everything is 99 per cent OK[frame]Image[/frame]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Best way to get at everything and saves your back! I think Stevey and I burnt out about 3 grinders when we were cleaning his one down!

Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Definitely alot easier than Lying underneath it .. Mosty oil so won't burn to many out .. Funny there is new inner wing fitted in front and new chassis rails as well and 0 rot on floors :)
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Just a bit of an update under side going very slowly alot of scraping wire brushing and rust treatment I've a small bit painted jus to keep rust at bay because I have no garage to keep it in so here is a pic of it[frame]Image[/frame]
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Looking good. Whats your plan for the painting? Iv gotta put metal back before i can paint. Iv use chassis black, which has lasted well on other cars. Still perfect when primed properly.
Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

I'm using agri zinc primer good stuff 2 good coats of that and a course of primer and then 3 coats of diablo red ontop I want to update the colour slightly without offending people if you get me