Series 2 windscreen

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
vee12jag
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Series 2 windscreen

Post by vee12jag »

HELP Please!
I am in the final stages of finishing my 1956 Series 2.
One of the last items is to replace the windscreen. Since it is reputedly a horrible job, I decided early on to get an 'expert' in to help. The gentleman in question has an excellent reputation and over 40 years experience in glass replacement.
When I first got the car, he came over and we removed all the glass. Upon examination we found that the windscreen glasses had been replaced with laminated glass at some time. The lamination was starting to go so a decision was made to go back to the original style Triplex toughened glass which was sourced from MMOC Parts Dept from an old Series 2. This glass is slightly thinner and smaller than the laminated glass.
I then purchased a new windscreen rubber from ESM. We tried to fit the screens and even though we got them in OK, the rubber did not seem to be in tight enough and the glass could easily be moved back and forth, mostly forward from the inside.
It was concluded that the seal was of poor fit, so I ordered a new rubber seal from Bull Motif (their best UK made seal) and we tried again. While the quality of the rubber is better, when fitted, the seal is still not tight enough to the body and will definitely leak. I have attached a couple of photos.
My glass fitter is at his wits end and has no further suggestions. He says this is the first screen he has not been able to fit in 40 years! (Unlucky for me).
Can anyone please help? If you need more photos/description please let me know.
Many thanks
Mark[frame]Image[/frame]
kennatt
Minor Legend

Re: Series 2 windscreen

Post by kennatt »

join the club,very few of the new rubbers fit. Like others it needs sticking down at the corners, black silicon is the usual fix.,I would re fit the laminated, much safer.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Have you fitted the centre pillar at this stage? Its should pull the whole thing forward a bit more than that. You will need to use lots of sealer between the glass rubber and between the body and down the centre strip as well. I used a sealer call Arbo Mast Autograde, its a non setting flexible sealant and its easy to apply and clean off as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arbomast-Auto ... 3ab26616d3
Last edited by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH on Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Too many Minors so little time.....
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

I always use fish tank sealer and its easily applied and definitely watertight
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Looks about par for the course with the new rubbers. :(

graham1957
Minor Fan

Post by graham1957 »

my second rubber was supplied by bull mottif and was way better than the first one but needed sealing and sticking down on the corners by a product called polyurothon, we cut some timber to length to wedge the screens in from the seats and used gaffer tape to pull the rubber down on the outside corners,i bet they didnt have this problem in the factory ?
[sig]8872[/sig]
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

They didn't get them made in China
vee12jag
Minor Friendly

Post by vee12jag »

Thanks for the replies guys.
This situation is really bad. Can't understand why they can't be made at least to the same size.
My original rubber completely filled the aperture as designed. Now I'm not sure the chrome surround will even fit properly.
I take it no one has found a screen rubber from anywhere that fits totally as original?
Thanks again.
Mark
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

vee12jag wrote:Thanks for the replies guy
I take it no one has found a screen rubber from anywhere that fits totally as original?
Thanks again.
Mark
unfortunately no,and you will find you need to stick the chrome surround down as well, you are lucky to still have one they are unavailable and s.hand ones sell for mega bucks when they come up.With a bit of care it can be done and looks fine,even with proper fitting and sealing it MAY still leak at the corners. I sorted mine by pumping sealant under the seal from the inside,you can lift the large rubber lip and insert the nozzle of the gun and push it right in till it actually hits the frame then with plenty of sealant in when the rubber drops back it seals up . I did mine all the way round and never had a leak after that GOOD LUCK.
TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

I know the problem from the chrome surrounds, so I try to collect them ;)
Without much succes, but I have more than one pair...
Now to get one pair in a car.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve