Series 11 Saloon, 1956

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Series 11 Saloon, 1956

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Seeing as it was raining this morning I needed an inside job to do, so I sorted out wring for the indicators. I laid out the wiring to check the length and the soldered on bullet connectors for the lamp ends. The car had indicators before I rewired it so the lamps were already fitted. I used a flasher unit on each side so that they will work with the semaphore, I had some old screw in terminal flasher unit so I fitted them as none of my other minors use screw in ones. The new wires were cable tied in beside the wiring loom and it looks reasonably neat. Its just a pity the wings had been drilled for the rear lamps, if I had of been starting to fit them I would have hung them on bracket below the bumper, but I suppose they are good and noticeable up there.

Also refitted the glove boxes no that hopefully all the wiring is sorted. :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

[frame]Image[/frame]
Gloves boxes as mentioned, already getting full of junk![frame]Image[/frame]
And the refitted indicators, I have replaced the plastic lens with some glass ones. Still have the bottom of the bootlid to sort along with a small repair on the passenger side chassis leg which I noticed when I was adjusting the height of the suspension. The steering wheel also need some attention to the cracks, I have an already repaired one I might put on in the mean time.

minor65
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by minor65 »

Good work. Gold speedo looks far better :D

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

So almost a 1000 miles covered since Ive put this car back on the road! Jumping out of second is something Ive got used to and pretty much know when its going to happen. The release bearing also screeches when the cars cold but stops after 100yards or so. At some stage I will fit a 1098 gearbox, Stevey found me a 1098 backing plate and ring gear as these will need to be changed.

The height of the passenger side still didnt please me so Ive adjusted it again today and it seems better. Also a grease up and adjust of the brakes all round.

Still to sort the bootlid too, Im enjoying using it too much to take off the road! While Im using it Ive been carrying out a few maintence jobs and winter proofing on my blue minor which is my normal daily driver and the car that sits out in all weathers all winter :([frame]Image[/frame]

This pic was taken on a road run with the Ulster Pre War Austin Club were we did the County Antrim Coast Road covering about 180 miles that day.

Johnd103
Minor Fan

Post by Johnd103 »

Looks tasty would love to use mine as a daily driver too but can't because of the insurance here :(
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

The engine was burning a bit of oil on the overrun and I suspected the valve guides were wornand that the valve stem oil seals were probably knackered. So it was off with its head for an examination. There was quite a bit of carbon in the head and the old seals were rock hard. I replaced them with the newer type which I havent used before so will see if they make any difference.

.[frame]Image[/frame]

[frame]Image[/frame]

The bores are in good condition, one has a tiny wear ridge but nothing worth worrying about. I re torqued the head after the first heat cycle and it did take a bit, so well worth doing.

Another couple of hundred miles done, started loosing a bit of power but it was only the points were closing a bit. Decided to take the distributor out and give it all a good clean and check over to make sure the weights were free and the vacuum was working, all good!

Also got round to repairing the chassis leg yesterday, a fairly handy job even though I hate lying on my back to weld!

The seats have been returned from Steveys car so they are back were they belong, just need a few stitches in the back seat base before its refitted[frame]Image[/frame]

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Excellent job sir!

Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »