Bonnet Realease

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pbottomley
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by pbottomley »

Dam good these bonnet locks ! unless like me you forgot to reconnect the bonnet relese and then closed the bonnet !!! DOHH

any suggestions welcome, nearly ready to angle grind the front pannel away ! thats how frusatrated i am!
davidpinkney

Post by davidpinkney »

right, its not too difficult. this happened to me whilst on a way to a show once, i stopped to check the oil and it wouldnt open, the spring had fallen off.
lie on the floor at the front of the car head underneath and squeeze your arm between the engine and tie plate, find the release lever situated on the fron panel (where you should have fitted the pull rod into!) and pull it towards the back of the car to release the catch. you might need a person with the thinnest arms possible to help cos its a squeeze, and dont do it when the engines been running cos u burn ur hands, lol.
good luck
pbottomley
Minor Friendly

Post by pbottomley »

Ya grand idea tried that (OUCH first time hot) second time managed to get my arm about half ya up.... maybe i need a diet?? Maybe i will run down a lanky thin person and tell them undo the bonnet release whilst they are laid down?

thanks for the idea, kinda guessed that would be the solution but with popeyee arms its a tight squeze
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

You can release the bonnet with a hammer handle or similar passed through the front grill near the top, locate the sliding mechanism (centre of car) find the protruding lug (just off centre towards drivers side)and push it to your left. It may need a sharp tap.
les