Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
lindamary
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Buying a Morris Minor!

Post by lindamary »

Hello, I am looking for a Morris Minor to buy and to hopefully join you lovely people of the Club with my new 'baby'. I have seen one on Classic Cars which looks gorgeous to me . It says in the sale info that it belonged to a member of the MMOC who maintained it very well. Wonder if anyone knows of this car or even it's owner? Registration is OVB 776 and its a black 1955 split screen. Its being sold by South Norfolk Classics in Norfolk. Any info would be great and very much appreciated. Thanks for reading !!

Linda
:D
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Buying a Morris Minor!

Post by bmcecosse »

Don't see it on their website..... But found it on ebay... - no UNDERNEATH pictures - which is what matters! So I would want to see it up on a lift to study (and poke) the underside. Seems expensive to me - but then 'Dealer' cars are always expensive.... It will drop £2k in 'value' as soon as you drive it out of the showroom.... Much better value buying a car from the Sale section on this forum!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1955-MORRIS-M ... SwPc9Wwfwk
ImageImage
lindamary
Minor Friendly

Post by lindamary »

Thanks for your message. I have asked for underneath pics but none yet. I would have it inspected first but will have to find an inspector to do it! Yes, it does seem expensive too but I'm not sure what one would pay for a Morris in great condition ?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The dashboard has been 'messed about' badly too - not sure why......
ImageImage
lindamary
Minor Friendly

Post by lindamary »

Has it? I don't think I am much good at this game. Maybe I will be better buying a dinky toy !! Ok, so anyone here selling a great Morris Minor let me know please .
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

It looks like a decent car but as said above, have a very good look underneath, local members will help you with this if you ask.

Above all, check the body numbers, post on here if you need help with this and people with vast knowledge of how to avoid dodgy cars and ringers will help you. NEVER rely on what the V5 says, it's very probably correct but lots of minors and old cars in general are ringers and you don't want to buy one.

Price is right if you feel it's worth it.

And it's a 4 door of course so very very tasty

Al
lindamary
Minor Friendly

Post by lindamary »

Thanks! I bought online , for a small amount, a UK Vehicle Car Check to give me some info such as it's VIN, engine numbers plus up to MOT histories. Also tells me if it's stolen, exported, imported. It did say that it has had a colour change but I don't think that's too important is it?
Yes, it's a nice car and just what I am looking for but ain't no good if it's rotting underneath! I have a VW camper which I bought a few years back and it's amazing how many I previously looked at which were very prettily painted outside and a nightmare underneath. I've learned a lot from this experience and that is to have something thoroughly checked. Luckily I got a good one and I love it.
The company selling the Morris have offered to pay delivery included in the price so that's a plus but maybe they just want to get rid! I really know very little about Morris Minors' workings.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

bmcecosse wrote:The dashboard has been 'messed about' badly too - not sure why......
Really?? In what way? I can't see any clear picture of the dashboard but it looks OK to me!
You couldn't restore a Minor for that price and although it is moderately expensive, if it is the model you're looking for I'd have thought it worth a look myself. As others have said, the underbody structure is very important - especially if paying a high price but there is nothing I can immediately see to suggest that the car is not what it says it is and the fitment of the later 948cc Minor 1000 engine & gearbox can only be a bonus on this model.

DON'T be tempted to take them up on their offer of free delivery without first going to see and drive it however and taking someone along who knows a bit about these cars :wink:
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

In a perfect world...... :D

Never trust the DVLA or an online check with an old car.

I stress that I am in no way doubting the car you are looking at, but I'm telling you that you cannot trust DVLA or online checks with an old car from the reg number alone

Sadly, no online vehicle check can tell you if a car is a ringer, nor can the V5, this is my point.

You must look at the body numbers on the car itself, an online check is only checking the identity of a car. Example, put the plates of a nice straight red Ford Fiesta on a crashed and stolen repaired red Ford Fiesta, ask for a report on the reg and it comes up clean. Happens all the time.

Another example,
2 minors, both the same colour and spec. One crashed, stolen, whatever... The other perfectly straight. Swap the reg plates over and do an online check, you get the point?

Always check the numbers on any old car on the car itself. Not trying to scare you, just helping you stay out of trouble. Visit the dealer and look at the numbers. Take a member from here with you if it helps.

Al
lindamary
Minor Friendly

Post by lindamary »

I live in Edinburgh so first plan was to have it inspected. Anyone there able to do that for me? I would be willing to pay the going rate if anyone could but if not no probs. I won't hold you accountable if it falls apart first week of ownership :wink: A good drive around in it is best done by someone who knows what to look and listen for. Guess I just want something to remind me of my Dad's favourite car. Don't have him anymore but I could have the car.
XWL61
Minor Fan

Post by XWL61 »

My advice, for what its worth, is to join your local branch, speak to other Minor owners and look at their cars before buying something you know nothing about,and perhaps most importantly drive one if you have never driven one before!

Andy :D
1955 Series 2 saloon XWL61
1957 Series 3 saloon
1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover
1953 Jowett Javelin PE Std.
lindamary
Minor Friendly

Post by lindamary »

Holy .... ! This is hard work and I think I am close to wimping out now. I have driven most cars, especially old classics and large VWs but not a Morris Minor for a while anyway. Thanks for all the input people. Think I need to lie down now :wink:
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

All good advice but if the car is as good as it looks in the pictures I don't think the price is outrageous. If you can't get down to see it with a trusted expert I'd commission an independent engineer's report. Pity there's no information about the structural condition.
lindamary
Minor Friendly

Post by lindamary »

Thanks for that. I will try to get as much info from the seller but I am guessing that they don't really know instead of unwilling to give it up but who knows. I always give people the benefit of the doubt and so far, with a fair bit of research on my part, it hasn't come back to bite me. I really do appreciate everyone's knowledgeable input here which is why I asked in the first place.
Will let you know what I come up with .
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Try contacting our Norfolk & Suffolk (Iceni) branch : Tricia Loades 01five08 5two0273
email patricialoades at btinternet.com Someone from the branch may be able to go and view the car and give you an honest opinion of its condition.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
lindamary
Minor Friendly

Post by lindamary »

Thank you - will do. :)
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The dash is very wrong - don't understand why no-one is picking up on that. It should have doors on the gloveboxes -surely? Can't comment on the veracity of the car - but all (except the dash) looks fair enough for the declared age, On-line checks/DVLA and so on are a waste of time on old cars like this - as others have pointed out - all they will confirm is that the Reg Number belongs to a Morris Minor - not necessarily to THIS Minor ! You need to see the stamped in chassis number (not the little screwed on plate...) to confirm anything - but this one looks fair enough. As I said earlier - it will drop £2k in 'value' as you drive it out of the showroom. And I agree - don't go for free delivery unless you first go down and inspect/test drive the car in person.
ImageImage
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

When were courtesy lights introduced?

No glove box lids, as Roy points out.

Always suspicious of new carpets(?).

Always check the "numbers" before even considering buying a Minor. (c)7mm b/head, (remembering this was stamped AFTER painting, and should only be covered with dirt NOT paint).

As Roy also points out, insist on pics of underside - loads of black underseal sometimes indicates naff welding.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

A car more than 60years old is bound to have had alterations carried out over the years isn't it?

I really don't think some of the comments here are very relevant or helpful to the the lady asking advice, who must now be highly confused.

A courtesy light - one which comes on when the doors are opened - was not fitted to the Series11 Minor and none of the photographs show this feature do they?? However an interior light, visible in one picture is quite probably correct by 1955 in a 4door deluxe model? If it isn't part of the original specification - does it really matter??

I feel it should be pointed out since two people have now made an issue of it, that not having glovebox lids is entirely correct for a 1955 Series 11 car like this. Glovebox lids were fitted later on, to the Minor 1000 models.

"suspicious of new carpets"?? Honestly, I'd be surprised if a 60year old restored car HADN'T received new carpets! Particularly as this car has been fitted with the later Minor 1000 gearbox. As you should know, the gearbox cover is a different shape and the gearstick is in a different position so that even in the unlikely event of the original carpet being in good order, it would no longer fit!

I would be one of the first to comment if I thought a particular car had issues but I see no reason to think that this car does.
Do you?
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Apart from THAT....

Comments all good?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!