Was XBU911 ever found?

Your Moggy been stolen? Let everyone know here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
C.J.
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Was XBU911 ever found?

Post by C.J. »

Does anyone know if there was ever any conclusion to this dreadful theft.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... pital.html

The story was just posted/linked on my facebook wall by a fellow classic enthusiast, and got me wondering again.
So dreadfully sad reading that again.

DVLA still shows it as being untaxed and no mot.
Absolutely disgusting what depths these slimy sticky fingered low life parasites will stoop to
leafie
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Was XBU911 ever found?

Post by leafie »

It hasn't been seen since, we do still keep an eye out for it around Manchester as well as cars that look like they could be it having gone through the usual ID change. There have been a couple of false alarms but sadly they have come to nothing so far.
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

Does anybody in here know or keep in touch with Mr and Mrs Hepworth?

I can quite literally feel the pain they must have gone through over this.
Did they ever get a replacement?

Great and happy memories get attached to cars. That's why most of us love them so much.
Next to a dog, they are mans best friend....generally obedient and ready to go anywhere anytime
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

leafie wrote:It hasn't been seen since, we do still keep an eye out for it around Manchester as well as cars that look like they could be it having gone through the usual ID change. There have been a couple of false alarms but sadly they have come to nothing so far.
Does anyone know the chassis/engine number of this car?
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Sadly this car looks to be in such good condition that it has probably been 'ringed' (perhaps with one of these ID's that keep popping up on eBay).
Who know perhaps the new 'owners' are members of the club (that would be ironic)!
Basically we are relying on the honesty of anyone who purchased a grey 2 door Morris Minor (or whose car has had a recent respray and they can see it was previously grey) not long after this was stolen.
If they can find (look for) numbers on the car that don't match the log book and get them checked out with the Police.
I believe there are some stamped into the bodywork, perhaps someone on here can refresh our memory as to where these are located.
I would like to think that if someone on here found it was the one they've just bought they would come forward for this poor couple.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Tip being one with fresh paint covering the b/head stamped vin - popular trick on chop-top 2drs with "Genuine" convertible identities - thankfully, the idiots usually overlook the body number tags and NMP plate.

Sadly, few check these numbers.
leafie

Post by leafie »

I recently reported a very suspect car to the police and dvla. The police said they would not investigate unless the dvla asked them to, the dvla replied saying they would not investigate further unless the police asked them to. I replied to both pointing out the problem with their respective replies and each refered me to their first answer.
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

leafie wrote:I recently reported a very suspect car to the police and dvla. The police said they would not investigate unless the dvla asked them to, the dvla replied saying they would not investigate further unless the police asked them to. I replied to both pointing out the problem with their respective replies and each refered me to their first answer.

Staggeringly unbelievable! :o

Someone in one or both of those government led institutions needs a bloody rocket up their a***s!! :x
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

leafie wrote:I recently reported a very suspect car to the police and dvla. The police said they would not investigate unless the dvla asked them to, the dvla replied saying they would not investigate further unless the police asked them to. I replied to both pointing out the problem with their respective replies and each refered me to their first answer.
Take photos or screenshots of these replies and post on YouTube
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Contact Practical Classics and ask them to post this response.
They are quite helpful and these two bodies deserve the embarrassment factor, as this response is simply disgusting!
I often wonder why we pay their wages, when both are as much use as a chocolate teapot at times!!

Perhaps they'd like to explain their attitude to the old gentleman whose car is the subject of this post and then go on to explain how he can break this to his wife!

The phrase 'deliberately obstructive' springs to mind!!
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

jagnut66 wrote:Contact Practical Classics and ask them to post this response.
They are quite helpful and these two bodies deserve the embarrassment factor, as this response is simply disgusting!
I often wonder why we pay their wages, when both are as much use as a chocolate teapot at times!!

Perhaps they'd like to explain their attitude to the old gentleman whose car is the subject of this post and then go on to explain how he can break this to his wife!

The phrase 'deliberately obstructive' springs to mind!!
Would their actions change if the car was driven around with Julian Assange at the wheel?
leafie

Post by leafie »

Reply from dvla to my reporting of the suspect car to them as requested by the police.

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your email received on 3/2/16. Your email reference number is *****

I can assure you that the police will now deal with this appropriately.
With regards to DVLA Records, it may help if I explain the background to the law regarding registering vehicles. The DVLA is tasked with maintaining a register of vehicle keepers. Records essentially exist to assist revenue collection, road safety and law enforcement. The police and other enforcement agencies rely on the DVLA record for all vehicle related investigations. It is therefore paramount that the information stored on the vehicle register is accurate and up to date.

When an individual (or company) take possession of a vehicle, for use on the public road, they have a legal obligation to notify DVLA of the keeper details. However, in any system that relies on the public to play a major part, it will always be possible for determined individuals to evade compliance. Due to the extreme volume of transactions processed on a daily basis, the majority of notifications are accepted at face value. Although the current system works extremely well, DVLA does not have the resources to check the validity of all name and address changes. If it is found that false information has been deliberately given, that person is guilty of an offence, and if found guilty on summary conviction may be fined a maximum of £5000 and go to prison for two years.

The Government recognises the importance of maintaining an accurate register of vehicles and their keepers, and is continually looking at ways in which current practices can be improved. In 2002, the Jill Dando Institute for Crime Science recommended a programme to modernise vehicle registration and make it less vulnerable to abuse. As a result, consideration was given to a scheme whereby anyone purchasing a vehicle would have to prove their name and address at a Post Office® that deals with vehicle tax and present a certificate to the seller, who would then pass it to DVLA along with notification of the sale. However, it was recognised that this would have inconvenienced the large majority of motorists who are honest and provide correct details.

Reply from dvla to my contact pointing out that police had given me an incident number (which I had previously provided to the dvla) but would not investigate further without dvla asking them to.

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for your email received on 4/2/16. Your email reference number is *******

Thank you for your feedback. As previously advised in our last email response, if you have contacted the Police, they should contact DVLA accordingly for the matter to be investigated further.

I hope this information is of assistance.

Contacted police who again told me they will not investigate further until the dvla inform them there is an issue which requires investigation.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As ever - the answer is to fit a secret switch -and use it every time the car is parked. I urge everyone to do this ! Surprised the reg number hasn't turned up on a Porsche !
ImageImage
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

bmcecosse wrote:As ever - the answer is to fit a secret switch -and use it every time the car is parked. I urge everyone to do this ! Surprised the reg number hasn't turned up on a Porsche !
Won't stop 'em hauling it away on a low loader though ey?

On saying that, as had been said well over a squillion times now, ....if they REALLY want it, they'll have it, simple as, thank you and good night. :x

Makes me feel sick saying that.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I had a Mini Cooper stolen from a cinema car park, when I found the car, minus the bits they wanted, I found the handbrake cables had been cut through. Obviously towed away by someone with a flashing orange light. You don't want to know what I'd do ,even after all these years, if I found the lowlife and had a baseball bat to hand.

TDV102
Minor Addict

Post by TDV102 »

I'm going to put a heavy duty locking steel post in front of my parking bay and a hidden PIR sensor. It's taking me a long time to find the car I seek, and once found no twonk is going to help themselves to it
Good home offered for custom splittie
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

TDV102 wrote:I'm going to put a heavy duty locking steel post in front of my parking bay and a hidden PIR sensor. It's taking me a long time to find the car I seek, and once found no twonk is going to help themselves to it
Good move.
It's ALL about slowing them down and making them move onto some other easier poor sod target.
C.J.
Minor Fan

Post by C.J. »

My son has just spent a considerable amount of money on a comprehensive tracking system on his new car, but even that's not fool proof, and the guy that fitted it told us that.
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

Along the lines of "if they want it they will take it", if I park up for the day in public short of removing the wheels there is not that much I can do to stop them and even then if they use a vehicle lift it's gone. Maybe having it look a bit ratty is the way to go :(

TvdWerf
Minor Addict

Post by TvdWerf »

the problem with a minor is, they only need to know before they want to steel a Minor...
When you are in the car, every secret switch does not help when the know the wiring under the hood.
So it is easy, just make a ready to use cable, connect it to ignition, fuel pump and starter, and go....
Or load him quick and easy with the front wheels on a dolly and drive away.
Slowing down these guests is the one and only way, so park the car with the front to your house, and give 2 cm space there.
Better is an inside corner, my colleague does this with the service van.
Back and side door to his house, so the rear compartment cannot be opened without moving the car..
The only secret switch who helps, is one who after 5 seconds after opening a door, not found, and switches the horn for a long time.
MM '51 LHD sidevalve