Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
swgj97
MMOC Member: No

Not Starting

Post by swgj97 »

Hello,

I am new to the Club, not sure if I'm on the right set-up but anyway.

I have a 1967 Morris Minor 1000 3 door and I am having problems starting it.

As far as I know with the 'testing' that I've done that everything is working.

However everything apart from the fuel gauge, fuel pump & wipers.

The car turns over very well, but I know it wont start as there is no fuel getting through.

Not sure what is it? Electrical fault maybe? Battery is new and is always checked and fully charged.

I cannot seem to narrow it down to it problem(s).

Any help or information will be much appreciated!

Many Thanks
Sam
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Not Starting

Post by busguy »

Looks like the petrol pump isn't working when you switch the ignition on is your issue. It should make a clicking noise when you first switch on after standing for a time, which shows it is powered and pumping. It's a common issue with minors. Do a search on this site for more info on previous comments.
If it isn't working a sharp tap of the pump with a screwdriver handle/light tap with a small hammer could set the contacts going in the pump, or fit a new/secondhand, known to be working, pump.
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

Have you checked the fuses :(
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

There are no fuses to the fuel pump or the ignition.... There is to the gauge etc - but lets worry about getting it going first, When did it last run?? Take the delivery pipe off the carb and put it in a jar - swich on - is the pump delivering fuel to the jar? If not - check there is power to the pump, and if that's ok- clean the points in the pump. But first download a FREE copy of the Workshop Manual from Google so you can see how it all works!
ImageImage
trabant
Minor Fan

Post by trabant »

Terminal on voltage regulator corroded or loose ( happened to to me ) or possible fault in ignition switch or wiring to or from it.

trabant
Minor Fan

Post by trabant »

Before we go mucking about with fuel pumps lets check for a spark at the spark plugs and see if its a general electrical fault.

trabant
Minor Fan

Post by trabant »

A quick scan of the wiring diagram I would check the following terminals A & A1 of the voltage regulator on the bulkhead A1 should have a very big spade connector with two brown and blue wires going in to it A should be a big spade connector with two brown wires going in to it on my car the wires going to.terminal A had corroded causing the same symptoms. If these appear ok go to the fuses on the bulkead and check the one with white wires going in to it and green wires coming off the other end.If you have access to a volt or multimeter you should get 12 volts between the end of the fuse holder with the white wires connected and the cars body ( Earth ) no voltage getting to this point would cause a non running fuel pump no wipers no fuel gauge it should if they are wired directly also cause bother with the indicators ignition coil and heater fan. If this is the case id suspect the ignition switch or its wiring.

trabant
Minor Fan

Post by trabant »

That's 12volts at the end of the fuse with the ignition turned on *

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Once again -that's WRONG. Neither the fuel pump or the ignition go through fuses. Simple test of fuel pump delivery is the first thing to try.
ImageImage
trabant
Minor Fan

Post by trabant »

I never said they did did I I said to check for voltage at the fuse as its supplied from the same spur as the fuel pump and the ignition coil look at the circuit diagram . This guys lack of power to the wipers and fuel gauge would indicate the problem is quite likely nothing to do with the pump.

The Issigonis Kid
Minor Fan

Post by The Issigonis Kid »

I had a problem with Woody stuttering when he got hot after about 20mins. I was nearly kangarooing and felt like all power was being cut to the engine. I thought it was a serious electrical or fuel issue. Like your problem, lots of nice kind help all suggesting the fuel pump and distributor / points needing to be reset, coil etc. All it needed was a £12 condenser fitting in the distributer. Fitted that and now its only abit hesitant when I've not used him for along time. Lots of people say modern condensers are cheap and rubbish so I might try another to see if its better or carry a spare. Just saying, for a tenner it might be worth trying a new one (but keep your old one just incase it isn't the condenser).

The Issigonis Kid - Richard Troup - Sheffield - 1961 Morris Minor Traveller ...... at last
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed the condenser and points gap are the very first things to check.
ImageImage
swgj97

Post by swgj97 »

Thanks for the help & information people. Didn't think I would get so many replies :)

I still need to test the voltage regulator A to A1 points.
I have a new voltage regulator ready but if not used I can send it back.

Fuses are fine and everything to my knowledge is getting power, which leads me to think its either
the voltage regulator or ignition switch.

I have a spare condenser, may just change that out anyway.

Also car has been sitting for 4 years before I got it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It will never start on 'old' petrol - try some fresh petrol - pour an egg cup full down the carb.
ImageImage