Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
John Naylor
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Duplex Timing Chain

Post by John Naylor »

Just got round to fitting a Duplex Timing Chain (benefitting from Roy's clear-out, thanks!). The old chain was really noisy and fitting was quite simple once the radiator and grille were removed. Countersunk the 2 bottom screws (brake drum screws incidentally) and did a pre-assembly to check clearances and fit. Did a bit of tidying and painted Timing cover etc. and it all went together perfectly so I stood back and admired. I only have a tiny garage now so tidied up before restarting work and fitting the grille. Then I spotted a woodruff key on the floor! Whilst aligning the cam gear and ensuring correct timing I had dislodged the key - well it is always easier to do the job the second time. Once complete, I went for a run and it was not only quieter but seems to rev better - can't imagine it would have improved performance but it certainly felt like it.
I used to check Bertie on my 'Test Hill' but since moving haven't found another yet. I used to have a long straight hill with a parking spot at the bottom and, having let the traffic clear, could let rip up the hill and time the ascent up to my marker, an oak tree. If I reset timing or carb or any mods I could compare the time and keep tweaking to get best performance. Must find another....

Bertie.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Duplex Timing Chain

Post by bmcecosse »

Bad luck with that key - and well spotted! Yes - a test hill (or straight) is handy....
ImageImage
amgrave
Minor Addict

Post by amgrave »

But you live on a hill. Glad it's now sorted it's a job I have got lined up for later this year. Re performance, a slack chain will make the valve timing go slightly out not much but enough to make a small difference.

The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

Crikey! That's a lucky spot you made.