Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
nwxh
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Reading dipstick

Post by nwxh »

(I'm worried my car has two dipsticks in it, with me being the other.)

When reading my dipstick, there is a small amount of oil going all the way up beyond the maximum level, however the oil clumping on to the stick forms a U shape half way between the "min" and "max" reading. Is this correct, or have I put too much oil in?

Many thanks!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Reading dipstick

Post by mike.perry »

Take the dipstick out (the one in the engine), wipe it clean, push it back in, pull it out and read it
[sig]3580[/sig]
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

No... you haven't put too much in.There will be a small amount of oil on the dipstick hole that will catch on the side of the dipstick as it is removed.This "clings " to the sides.It is the main bulk of oil, across the face of the dipstick ,that you should concentrate on.A reading... mid way between the min and max is fine.Below min or over the max is not good.

Always take the reading when the engine is cold ( and the oil has returned to the sump, after circulating around the engine at operating temperature ).Most people take the dipstick out, wipe it clean with a non fluffy rag or kitchen roll and then dip it in the sump to take a reading.Another tip if the oil is very black / dirty then it's probably a good indication that the car's next oil change and oil filter change is not far off.

Generally inexperienced people ,who don't ask daft questions, are the ones that make expensive mistakes.
My old Dad use to say "ask intelligent people daft questions, you'll be surprised at the answers and learn an awful lot in the process "
Bob
nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

Thanks for the reply. Tomorrow morning I'll fill it up closer to max based on the main body of oil.

The stick doesn't have the "hashing" which I've seen on modern cars which makes it harder to read.
Boomlander
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Boomlander »

Sounds like you have the correct oil level if the reading is between Min and Max.
Never be worried about asking questions, the vast majority of members are happy to help no matter how "Daft" the question may sound to you. :D

nwxh
Minor Fan

Post by nwxh »

Many thanks!

I find the theory very easy. The practice (e.g. am I looking for a lot or small amount of oil) is harder.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Try about a quarter of a litre, give it five minutes to percolate down into the sump and check the dipstick again, add a bit more if required. It doesn't need to be right up to the high mark but don't over-fill it. Remember to check the level weekly to get an idea of how much oil you are using.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Check the engine oil level with the car standing on level ground otherwise the dipstick reading may be false.

katy
Minor Legend

Post by katy »

Some dipsticks have 2 marks on them, min and max or low and full, some have only the full mark and the bottom of the stick is the low mark. As long as the oil is between the 2 marks it's OK. You don't need to keep it up to the top mark all the time. It's only when it gets down to the lower mark that you need to add oil.
Talk slow, think fast!
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

1 pint between max and min
[sig]3580[/sig]
MikeNash
Minor Addict

Post by MikeNash »

Mike Perry says its a pint between max & min. But on my 1963 1098 Trav its 2 pints (i.e. the common quart can of oil of the time) between them. So its variable - perhaps according to the engine type.
Regards, MikeN.
Morris Minor, the car of the future. One day they will all look like this!
alfrednewall

Post by alfrednewall »

If I have put too much oil in and it is above the max mark on the dipstick should i be worried?

just noticed it was low the other day and over did it.

colour of the oil is quite black so may be worth a change soon too!

thanks
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

A small amount - say 1/4" - won't matter at all. But if black - then a change of oil (20W50) and filter is strongly recommended. Make sure the spring and plate are present in the filter casing - under the paper filter.
ImageImage
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Make sure that you have the right dipstick for the engine fitted.
The 803cc/948cc engine oil dip stick (Pt No: 2A294 (MOSS)) fits into the block hole and rests on the bottom of the sump. When dropped into the dip stick hole hits the sump bottom with a nice clunk.
The 1098cc engine oil dip stick (Pt No: 12G175 (MOSS)) fits inside and is supported by the plastic tube (Pt No: 12G107 (MOSS) and does not rest on the bottom of the sump.
If you have the wrong dip stick it make a considerable difference to the reading.
I always check the level of the sump oil in the morning after the oil has had all night to drain into the sump and as above with the car on level ground.
As above so long as the oil level is between MIN and MAX there is no need to add oil.
Phil

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It really is best to keep it up near the MAX mark - otherwise the oil can surge away from the pick up on cornering - causing the oil light to flicker on (indicating very low pressure) and quickly ruining the bearing shells.
ImageImage