Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
BTU268F
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Handbrake securing nuts

Post by BTU268F »

I'm fitting a pair of handbrake cables but don't have the nuts that secure the cable to the axle and the transmission tunnel. Does anyone know what size these nuts are, nothing in my nut and bolt box would fit. Esm don't list these as a separate part, seems a bit mean that the new cables don't come with a couple of nuts, but this seems to be the way with most new parts now as nuts and bolts need to be bought separately.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Re: Handbrake securing nuts

Post by mike.perry »

Should be standard 1/4 unf thread, 7/16 A/F head. Same size nut on the other end of the cable. Most hardware shops only sell metric nuts and bolts
[sig]3580[/sig]
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Nut - Pt No: AJD8104 - available from MOSS @ £0.32 plus the usual.

I have just tried a 7/16" UNF spanner on the nut and can confirm that it is 1/4" UNF.

If the nut was 1/4" BSF the 7/16" UNF spanner would not fit as the 1/4" BSF nut is slightly larger.
Phil

BTU268F
Minor Friendly

Post by BTU268F »

Hi, thanks for the replies, can add these to my next order now I know what I need to order!
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Sorry to open old thread, I ordered my two cables from ESM, not anywhere do they state they come without nuts so I rang them up and mentioned how stupid it was that I've been waiting for this part and they don't do it. The gent sent out 4 nuts and washers for free after I did this, hopefully they'll add it to their website now, I don't mind they don't come with nuts it's just they don't tell you so!
'If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same'

Edd, 26, Devon.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done and good result!
ImageImage
laneychief
Minor Fan

Post by laneychief »

Thanks, yeh it just seemed mad to me that they'd be supplied without nuts and even upon a search they're not listed. Crazy.

Having fun trying to get the old ones off, discovered a hole in my floor pan where the centre nut goes and has rotted through from a leaky rear window seal running water down to the corner under the backbench. Welding again. Yawn.
'If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same'

Edd, 26, Devon.