Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
spike_esq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

1970 Pick Up (with Tilt) Door Mounted Mirrors

Post by spike_esq »

Hello Readers, So two years on from my last post on the restoration of the Persian Blue Pick Up. The PU now has an MOT. Shock horror did I hear. Well it is true. Phew. I wanted to ask for some reader feedback/ experiences on door mounted mirrors. Obviously for the Pick Up with the Tilt a "long reach" (say 180mm) door mounted version will be required. Have we any experience out there that you would care to pass on? There's not an abundance of options in the marketplace to be honest. I had thought of mounting the mirrors in the so called triangle area just adjacent to the quarter light.
I would appreciate any member comments for experience of door mounted type and then mirror model and likely manufacturer. It would be good to open up some dialogue/ discussion in this section so I can draw on the various experiences. Thanks so much. Look forward to your replies and possible recommendations based on your personal experiences. Regards, spike (Bath)
diggerjones
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1970 Pick Up (with Tilt) Door Mounted Mirrors

Post by diggerjones »

diggerjones
Minor Fan

Post by diggerjones »

My van with the fitted on the triangle bits you mentioned.http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... 3&start=60
Not ideal but look ok , they are motorcycle mirrors
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

I have honda moped mirrors on my pickup and they are fine.[frame]Image[/frame] :D Photo courtesy of gaydon photgrapher.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

This adaptation gives a pretty good rear view, maybe not the prettiest solution but its only a van!
----and you can choose your own mirror heads. :D
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... rs#p525831

diggerjones
Minor Fan

Post by diggerjones »

les wrote:This adaptation gives a pretty good rear view, maybe not the prettiest solution but its only a van!
----and you can choose your own mirror heads. :D
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f= ... rs#p525831
Les yours are probably the best for vision
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Greetings and thanks for all the feedback on door mirrors. Les ingenious using and adapting the tie-rods excellent and smithskids who is using the Honda moped mirrors fascinating. Could you advise suitable source for purchase of the Honda moped mirrors? In the meantime I shall have a trawl on the net.
So glad the topic generated some discussion and super positive feedback from the membership. Many thanks. Now to make, purchase and fit a suitable solution. I'll post as we progress meanwhile any feedback on Honda moped mirrors welcome. Do they do convex and concave types I wonder.
Regards......spike.
leafie

Post by leafie »

From a Suzuki motorcycle if memory serves me right.

http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/RallyPics/ ... G_8755.jpg
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

Hello Spike, the mirrors were from a moped my son had about 15 years ago. May be scrapyard would be worth a walk round. :(
midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

After trying a couple of other options I decided to try Les's suggestion, and am very happy with the outcome.
Having spent most of my working life driving commercial vehicles, I was not at all confident of the lack of rearward vision so its a revelation to have these fitted. So I'm very much obliged Les.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Yes I know I have to sort the cab gutters out! :oops:
John
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Pleased to pass on the idea. :D Incidentally you may well have done the same, I fitted a small piece of timber with a drilled hole, inside the triangular piece to stop the metal crushing when the nut was tightened.

midget
Minor Fan

Post by midget »

Yes indeed I did Les--eventually! Started with diamond shaped piece of 1/2" steel plate drilled and tapped, but could not get the correct width and consequently squashed a finishing plate. Packed them wood and now they are fine.
Lucky with the heads,found on Ebay cheaply. They are marked Wingard PO but look too small to be actual Post office issue?
John