Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Nourish
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Rusty panels

Post by Nourish »

When is it time to replace those rusty panels - I'm starting a full restoration of a series 2 body shell and the floor panels are rusty and pitted inside and out but only holed in the usual corners - I intend to blast the car over so should I keep the original floor or repalce it as a matter of course?
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Re: Rusty panels

Post by greendefender123 »

Iv kept my original floor. Tho it needed repairs above the crossmember and behind the heat shield. To me it was important to keep the original floor as it was sound everywhere else. Tho if it was bad with holes everywhere i would of replaced them. If it needs lots of welding on the floors it might be better to replace but once the original floor is gone its gone forever. Im sure this will open a can of worms here.
MrIan
Minor Fan

Post by MrIan »

I'd prefer to keep as much of the original panel as possible, but that does depend on how much patching is needed. There are a few good rust converters that will hold back rust on pitted floor pans for a good few years at least if they then get a good protective coat of zinc primer and paint.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Not sure what 'blast the car over' means ? Bead blasting to remove all traces of rusty metal? if so - it's likely the floors will disappear anyway. No point leaving paper thin/rusty metal in the car.
ImageImage