The new addition to the family (my first traveller)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: The new addition to the family (my first traveller)

Post by MoggyBlue »

Alright guys so been a little quiet for a while but things have been happening. she now has a good second hand side in need of a new rear post but will make a great improvement to her messy and wavey side.

I have also just bought a very nice interior for her that a friend will be holding onto until I can get Ona MOTed she is having major light issues with no sidelights. Sidelights are now working after a full rewire me and my brother got them working but now the Indicators flash through the sidelights and I have no headlights so will be getting them behaving this weekend hopefully
I would upload pictures but for some reason the website won't let me post anything with pictures recently :(
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Hey guys
Thought I'd better update you all, Ona is having some major issues :( she has no oil getting to the top of the engine I have put an air line through the oil passage ways, sump off and cleaned oil pickup was clean and as my headgasket had gone not long before I started the work I replaced that to.

Last weekend we drove a 450 mile round trip with a friend to collect her very lovely new interior (can't seem to upload pictures sorry) can't wait to get rid of all the rubbish carpet.

Just bought an oil pressure gauge I will be collecting and fitting tonight/ tomorrow and then fill up with oil and coolant and hope my oil problem is sorted
Any suggestions would be great really hope it's not the pump though could the oil filter have anything to do with it? It's the original paper filter. Want to fit a spin off but they all seem to be out of stock :(

But other than that she is going like a dream :) and will hopefully be coming to nationals with me can't wait!!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

There does seem to be an issue with the supply of spin on filter kits, have a look round for a second hand Mini one. It might be worthwhile taking the rocker gear to bits and cleaning the oil ways out, but what makes you think there's no oil getting there, the top end doesn't get flooded with oil but there should be some splashing about. If the wasn't any it would be a tad rattley after your long trip :-? . Take the rocker cover off and push one of the rockers to one side against the spring and see if there's any damage on the shaft.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Hey panky
Yeah I have found two on ebay and may have to get one if it comes to it but will have to get studs and gaskets etc still.
When I fitted the engine I did a quick strip down and whilst doing the engine work I put an air line through the channel but all torqued down now so will see what happens I guess as all getting filled up tomorrow
And well the simple answer is the rocker shalf is bone dry :( I have got videos but can't post them on here. also on the journey home she smelt very strongly of very hot oil dipstick smelt normal and drips from gearbox did to diff oil was change (it was black) but the smell was still there
I also heard slight knocking noise from the block area but there is no play in the shells so may be down to lack of oil coming up so checked the pickup but looks very clean and ill move the rocker and check the shalf before the oil goes in but I have checked it's not worn or anything
Thanks
Jordan
don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by don58van »

Sometimes people reassemble the rocker assembly incorrectly when overhauling the head. There is an oil passage in one of the pillars that interfaces with a passage in the head. If that pillar is in the wrong position, no oil will get to the rockers.

Don
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Doesn't sound good :cry:
Good call with the oil port in the pillar, but it may be too late
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Just so you don't spend the rest of your week worrying about poor Ona. I drove her to work today 13 miles each way she is running alot quieter, no knocking and also looks as If oil is still on the rockers after filling yesterday and driving a little bit to and no fully smells. Will update you all at the weekend to give the final verdict but it honestly looks like I've sorted it. :D oil pressure is where it should be according to the gauge and she drives much quieter bet you can't wait to see her at the nationals this year :wink:
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Did you do anything else besides topping the oil up?
The vast minority
Minor Fan

Post by The vast minority »

panky wrote:Did you do anything else besides topping the oil up?
My thoughts also
Reads like you fixed an oil starvation problem by adding oil!

There must be more to the story.
Al
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Oops sorry guys
Oil drained
Rocker off
Compressed air down the oil passage way
Head off ( new head gasket fitted)
Compressed air down the block
Sump off
Cleaned sump and checked oil pickup
Checked for play in the shells (no play)
Fitted oil pressure gauge
Back together again

Oil pressure is where it should be but have a funny oil smell still I do wonder if it's coming from the inspection panel rubber gasket and burning on the block as I have quite a pool on the block. It really is one thing after another :-? Haven't even been able to start making her look any better from the outside yet haha
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

So a quick update I've been very busy (to busy and forgot to keep you all updated :oops: ) getting her ready for nationals
After the oil blockage was sorted I had running issues they are now sorted she is mechanically ready

New interior is all fitted and looking great :)

I have new Seatbelts and the correct exhaust strap on its way to be fitted next weekend

And for the past few weeks I've been trying to make her look a bit more pleasing on the eye :wink:

Front grill and housing has been all sanded back to metal, rust treated, primed and painted :) and hammerited in the hidden areas :)

Now painted the housing waiting for it to harden before polishing it and will be painting the grill tomorrow :)

Coming along nicely I think
Can't wait for nationals :D hope to see you all there[frame]Image[/frame]
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Hey guys, so Onas new front grill and housing is all painted and assembled. Sadly although I'm not 100% happy with the paint finish on the housing and the brand new chrome has been a massive headache to fit but I'm happy with the overall product :D doesn't look out of place due to not being perfect and still thinking about a colour change so will be redone with the car.
Very happy with her new smile :)
New and old[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Looks great!
]
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

So had an amazing weekend at nationals last week only just found time to get round to posting :oops:

Ona did great only issue we had was 10 miles from home she blew her newly fitted nos condenser then went through another 4 cheap ones that a friend gave me after letting him use my spare to get there.
I've layed her up for a little bit whilst I get my saloon happy again on the road then within the next few months Onas wood will be taken off and worked on can't wait :D

Doesn't she look good ;)[frame]Image[/frame]
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

And so the fun begins!!!!

All wood will be coming off and replacing complete passenger side, rear doors and rear cross member that runs under the doors. Panels will be resprayed and all seals replaced. All wood will also be stripped and treated.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Update time

So today got alot done :)
Interior and panels, windows, headlining, guttering, roof removed and inspected wood, and lots more.

Notice where the hinge is and should be.....[frame]Image[/frame]

The waist rail.... If you could call it that. Looks to be made up of two planks of wood neither the shape or size it should be not even sealed together just a few nails holding it.... utter discrase[frame]Image[/frame]

What's left of the rear post[frame]Image[/frame]

Front of the rail pretty much non existant[frame]Image[/frame]

Guttering wasn't to hard to remove the good side of wood achually looked almost original guttering with very few holes under the guttering.[frame]Image[/frame]

Roof off with no damage thankfully[frame]Image[/frame]

Think I'm better off replacing all top cross sections rear has rotten and other two have started delaminating[frame]Image[/frame]

All coming along nicely and no to scary suprises all things I prepared myself for before starting
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

I would suggest replacing all the wood. It sounds like you plan to replace everything except the driver's side anyway. That way you will not have to worry about having to try and match. I suspect once you get all the drivers side sanded back to good wood, you may find dark or soft patches anyway. It would be a shame to have to go through it all again! It would also be a shame to have to stain the new wood (to compensate) too. It will naturally darken with age and give a much more mellowed and natural look than using a stain. I say that because the natural deep honey colour that comes from the almost translucent nature of natural wood can never be replaced by surface stains and colourants. They offer short term gain only and can prevent the natural (good!) ageing process taking place.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Neil MG wrote:I would suggest replacing all the wood. It sounds like you plan to replace everything except the driver's side anyway. That way you will not have to worry about having to try and match. I suspect once you get all the drivers side sanded back to good wood, you may find dark or soft patches anyway. It would be a shame to have to go through it all again! It would also be a shame to have to stain the new wood (to compensate) too. It will naturally darken with age and give a much more mellowed and natural look than using a stain. I say that because the natural deep honey colour that comes from the almost translucent nature of natural wood can never be replaced by surface stains and colourants. They offer short term gain only and can prevent the natural (good!) ageing process taking place.
Hello Neil
I see what your saying and sometimes wonder the same but as a 20 year old with not much of an income I really haven't got a choice. I haven't ordered any wood yet until I have sanded back both the drivers aide ans replacmrnt passenger sides. And know what I have. Woodies has said they have a complete drivers side for me so if it comes to it I have a back up for the passenger side to.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

So after work I thought I'd get that awful passenger side off.
Well I'm both horrified by what some people pass as acceptable and also happy with how solid it is. Although it does need some welding in areas and some welds redoing.

So after ripping the waist rail off i thought I would start at the front we started to try work out what the bolts were as they were ruined and only 2 were seen. Well whilst digging, the screwdriver slipped and went straight through the wood after digging it I'm suprised there it stayed together for so long[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

I then moved onto the rear post and please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the rear post should be a complete piece of wood. It seems like this has had 4 planks of wood put together..... :-?[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

Once the wood was off I could see what was hiding beneath. The foot rail although almost solid the welds will be redone. We tried getting the wing off and realise someone has even badly welded the wing to the car :lol: sometimes all you can do is laugh[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

The flange doesn't seem to bad really will get the other side off and decide what to do overall. There's a few more holes but nothing major. very happy with metal work minus the welds[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

The foot rail itself seems to be made from a gate post.... unbelievable[frame]Image[/frame]

Overall she's looking great :) about what I was hoping to see really[frame]Image[/frame]
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I appreciate that you are 20 years old and on a budget, not all of us classic car enthusiasts have pots of money to throw around, however seeing what you have found on that side makes me wonder how sound the other side is and, as has probably been pointed out earlier in this post, the wood on a traveller is structural, so for the sake of your own safety (not to mention that it will be a pain to take all apart again) you might want to investigate thoroughly the side you haven't touched yet.
Perhaps get what you can afford now and the rest later, as funds allow.
Then do it all once, treat it and enjoy.
Don't varnish it though, as over time it traps moisture and you'll end up with the same problem all over again.
There are other posts on here with advice on wood treatment, I'm sure Cuprinol 5 star was mentioned??
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)