tire sizes

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dozergyp
MMOC Member: No

tire sizes

Post by dozergyp »

Hi All, Will the 155 / 80 / 14 fit the Moggy OK ? The 145 / 80 /14 They tend to be quite a price
Any help the best size and make tires to fit (radials) On road holding and " price "
My moggy is 1957, Not sure what size rims are fitted!
Take care out there
Last edited by dozergyp on Wed May 25, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Re: tire sizes

Post by liammonty »

In a word, yes. Original size (on those late cars offered radials) was 145 14, but thousands of people have been fitting 155s to their Minors (on standard rims) for several decades without issue!

If you go for them, I've found that the Nankangs are much better suited to the Minor than the Toyos you can get.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

There isn't all that much choice regarding makes of tyres. I agree with the above. I have tried the Toyo tyres and found the sidewalls very soft and found the handling of the car a little disappointing. I now have the Nangkangs of the same size and, for the price, consider them unbeatable. I have another Minor which is fitted with the 145/80/14s and I do prefer the drive of that but, as you say, they are more expensive.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The 155 tyres are FAR TOO WIDE for the standard 3 " rims - you are fitting a 6" wide tyre on a 3" wide rim! :o :roll: It's WAY outsider any tyre fit charts. The garage should in fact refuse to fit them on safety grounds. They are fine on the wider 'van' 4.5" wide rims. Driving on the 155s on standard rims is like steering a jelly - many report much better handling on the 145 tyres. I believe they can be bought economically if you look around on ebay. Bridgestone are often recommended.
ImageImage
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

bmcecosse wrote:The 155 tyres are FAR TOO WIDE for the standard 3 " rims
Are they not just 10mm wider than the size recommended by the car manufacturer?
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I have been running 155/80/14 tyres on my Minor since 1979 with no problems
[sig]3580[/sig]
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

bmcecosse wrote:The 155 tyres are FAR TOO WIDE for the standard 3 " rims - you are fitting a 6" wide tyre on a 3" wide rim! :o :roll: It's WAY outsider any tyre fit charts. The garage should in fact refuse to fit them on safety grounds. They are fine on the wider 'van' 4.5" wide rims. Driving on the 155s on standard rims is like steering a jelly - many report much better handling on the 145 tyres. I believe they can be bought economically if you look around on ebay. Bridgestone are often recommended.
Call me old fashioned, BMC, but I stick to eating jelly - I've never yet tried steering one, so can't use that as a comparison! :wink: