Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidmiles
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Starter switch or Solenoid fault

Post by davidmiles »

hi all, car wouldn't start this morning, the ignition warning light and oil orange came on, but no clicks and def no starter motor noise. (thought it was the teeth meshed together with the starter and fly wheel, but it's not) 12 volts battery and connections both sides of the solenoid when earthed bodywork and engine. but no voltage here, this terminal on my starter switch, all the other terminals on the starter switch show 12 volts except this one, can I deffinatly say I have a starter switch fault or do I need to keep digging, do you remove the key and barrel for inserting into a new starter switch?[frame]Image[/frame]
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
Budgie
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Starter switch or Solenoid fault

Post by Budgie »

something similar happened to me about a year ago, drove her back into the garage ok, went to start her the next day, nothing. After checking what I thought was everything and cursing at the same time , I forgot about the cable on the starter motor. Hey presto, the cable fastening nut had worked loose so a star washer and a couple of turns of the nut later and all's well ! So give it a check first ...unless you have already done so .p.s. have you tried breeching the solenoid terminals with the switch on and out of gear to see if that turns the engine or press the button if you still have one of those in the engine bay?
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

With the car in neutral and hands clear of fan etc, try taking a lead from the non-earthed battery terminal to the small terminal on the side of the solenoid where the white/red wire connects. If the solenoid operates then it's OK, if it does not operate then it's faulty.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

cheers Sim, I'll check that, back in a mo
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

the starter motor coughed momentarily when I bridged the gap between the solenoid terminals, bypassing the switching inside and going streight to the starter motor, so it's not that. I had a thought of switching the white red wire from the starter switch to solenoid, replacing it on the spare terminal on the switch that deffinatly shows 12 volts, but nothing when I tried to start, I can only surmise that the proper terminal that shows nil volts, see pic above, has broken inside and disconnected the circuit, so new switch needed, I note Bull motif sell the barrel lock key and terminals in one piece for £7, rather than esm's two parts each £10. shop around for the best deals always.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As above - try a wire from battery to the small terminal on the solenoid to see if that operates the solenoid.
ImageImage
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Budgie, sim and BMC go to the top of the class, you were all correct, it was the Solenoid. I ordered a new one and a starter switch as I was convinced there should have been 12 volts on the white red wire terminal, wrong. The parts were ordered from BM @ 0930 yesterday morning, arrived at 10 am today. fitted the sol and started right away. Thanks for the replies gents.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Good result -well done.
ImageImage
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

For reference, the terminal with the red/white lease will have 12 volts, but only when the starter is operated, not when the ignition is off or on. When you turn the key to the start position it then puts 12 volts onto the wire which in turn operates the solenoid. Glad you're sorted.