New Moggie Owner in Scotland just saying Hi!

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Gordi Smith
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

New Moggie Owner in Scotland just saying Hi!

Post by Gordi Smith »

Hi!

I'm Gordi from west central Scotland just south of Glasgow and I've just bought my first Moggie!
It's a 1971 Morris Minor 4dr Saloon in Green.
(I'm not sure if it's a standard colour?? Looks more like British Racing Green than Almond Green to me.)
From the V5, the previous owner was from Eaglesham village which is very near where I live... I wonder if they are/were members here?

The Moggie has just passed it's MOT with no advisories, (woohoo!) but will need a fair bit of cosmetic TLC over the coming weeks and months including paintwork so I hope I can find a good match.

I've just joined the MMOC and wanted to say a quick Hi!
Does anyone know if the Scottish branch in Ayrshire is still on the go?
(The link I found on another page here is "Not Found" when you click on it.)

Anyway - Hello! and it's very nice to join the club, I shall no doubt be nipping your ears with technical queries as I get to grips with my new beast!

kindest regards,
Gordi
minor65
Minor Addict

Re: New Moggie Owner in Scotland just saying Hi!

Post by minor65 »

Hi and welcome to minor ownership :D

Campbell McDonald lives in Ochiltree and he is on here too. He is part of the Scottish branch. Facebook is prob the best way of contact.

Enjoy your car and feel free to put it on the boat and visit us in Northern Ireland :D

Andrew

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
Welcome! Great car and I think the colour suits her! It could be British Racing Green or it might be another BL colour, Brunswick Green was the name I think, which a Morris Marina I once owned was painted in, my first car for that matter, MBY 601P where are you now??............................... :P
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Gavin3659
Minor Friendly

Post by Gavin3659 »

Welcome, I stay in dalry so not a million miles away. Nice looking car. Hope to see you around.
samuria
Minor Legend

Post by samuria »

looks a nice car welcome to the club.
enjoy your car. i like the colour :wink:
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Nice car i just bought my first moggy last week im from glasgow so maybe we meet up my moggy is a 68 four door
EwenCameron
Minor Fan

Post by EwenCameron »

Welcome to the World of Morris Minors. The Ayrshire branch is still on the go. Campbell McDonald's email is ruairidh1@hotmail.co.uk I live in Inverkip and would be good to see you at some events. The Scottish MMOC are currently updating their webpage. We have been using facebook. PM me your details and I can get you some details of shows etc.

Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

Welcome and hello from over in Tayport, Fife. :)
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
qwertyhenry
Minor Friendly

Post by qwertyhenry »

hello and hi I'm not to far away I'm in Bellshill :D it good to see another moggie with green wheels[frame]Image[/frame]
Gordi Smith
Minor Friendly

Post by Gordi Smith »

Wow, so many replies!!

@minor65 - Thanks for the welcome and the info too.

@jagnut66 - Cheers! I like it too... I need to get a reasonable match for touch-ups etc

@Gavin3659 - Hi Gav, a pal of mine runs the Garnock Valley Ford garage in Kilbirnie just down the road from you!

@samuria - cheers sam, thanks for the nice welcome.

@Bengaku - Hi Ben - yeah that would be cool! I just need to sort out a couple of wee niggles on the car first!

@EwenCameron - Thanks Ewen, that would be great, I shall PM you as soon as I catch up in here!

@Monty-4 - Hey there sunny Tayport! Are Gill and Eddie Lange still around that neck of the woods?

@qwertyhenry - sorry henry, I couldn't hear you over your wheels!!! Now THAT is a colour combo!

A huge big squishy thankyou to everyone who's welcomed me onboard.... I just found out today that one of my neighbours is a Moggie fan and member here too!

cheers!
Gordi
Bengaku
Minor Friendly

Post by Bengaku »

Good luck on sorting out a the wee niggles i had one or two as well found lots of good information on the site plus really nice and helpful members.
Gordi Smith
Minor Friendly

Post by Gordi Smith »

Bengaku wrote:Good luck on sorting out a the wee niggles i had one or two as well found lots of good information on the site plus really nice and helpful members.
Thanks Ben,
The exhaust hadn't been fitted very well... blowing slightly at the manifold and fouling on the bulkhead where it exits the engine bay. I bought some jointing paste and tried refitting the exhaust... I think the joint is OK now, but no matter which way I tweak the exhaust it's still catching the bulkhead.! grrr
I suspect that it's been a cheap exhaust and maybe not quite the correct downpipe shape or something?

The engine feels like it's misfiring slightly, and even scared the bejeezus out of me by backfiring twice yesterday! (Like a shotgun going off!) I'm wondering if I disturbed the spring on the exhaust / manifold clamp which goes up to the throttle cable / choke cable area or whether I'm having an ignition or timing issue?

Fun Fun Fun !!! hehe

I might not get much more work done on it this weekend.... the weather's looking horrible on the forecast, but like yourself I'm enjoying this site and the Moggie community/cameraderie very much.

hopefully see you soon!

G
"Tiddles" - 1971 4dr saloon

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

How would the spring affect engine running?? Backfire indicates un-burned fuel, igniting in the exhaust....
ImageImage
Monty-4
Minor Addict

Post by Monty-4 »

The manifold join problem is common and well documented. I never quite solved mine until I took the time to take the pipe off, sand down the joining surfaces and knock any imperfections in the curve out with a hammer. I also inelegantly plastered the thing with exhaust paste. Re-joining it at the correct angle should solve the problem of it knocking against the body - although check the straps holding the rest of the exhaust too.

As bmc suggests the misfire doesn't sound throttle-spring related. I'd check the choke isn't stuck on, the air filter isn't old/blocked and then move on to the fuel mixture and timing. Work methodically and rule them out one at a time. I'd recommend getting to know some people from the Scottish branch of the club and/or searching these forums for how to check those if you're not sure.

Welcome to the fun of Moggy ownership. :D
68' 4-door Saloon, another 'Monty'.
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

I can't work out exactly the reason why, but a loose exhaust clamp or a leak in the manifold will cause the engine to backfire quite loudly. Fix the exhaust problem and the backfiring will probably be fixed as well.
Gabriel
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Hi Gordi welcome :D you car looks nice
Gordi Smith
Minor Friendly

Post by Gordi Smith »

GBond wrote:I can't work out exactly the reason why, but a loose exhaust clamp or a leak in the manifold will cause the engine to backfire quite loudly. Fix the exhaust problem and the backfiring will probably be fixed as well.

Thanks GB,
Yeah, I found that a couple of the manifold nuts were slightly loose and have tightened them.
Only managed a very short test drive and it seems to be OK so far on the back-fire front.
cheers
G

Gordi Smith
Minor Friendly

Post by Gordi Smith »

irmscher wrote:Hi Gordi welcome :D you car looks nice
Thanks Irmscher,
They look great don't they??

Mine needs quite a bit of cosmetic TLC to be honest, but I'll be working my way through it panel by panel over the coming months. I can't believe how many smiles per mile this wee thing gets!

Cheers! (and thank you!)

G

Gordi Smith
Minor Friendly

Post by Gordi Smith »

bmcecosse wrote:How would the spring affect engine running?? Backfire indicates un-burned fuel, igniting in the exhaust....
Hi bmc,

The spring goes to the throttle cable/choke mechanism.
I was concerned that I had accidentally moved the spring's mounting plate when I tweaked the exhaust manifold.
(...and I had!)

If the spring had jammed or fouled on the choke mechanism, it could have caused excess fuel to get into the cylinder, and thereby un-burned fuel igniting in the exhaust (but I've now had a closer look and I'm pretty sure that couldn't happen).
So, no need to worry about that one.

It looks like it was a slight leak at the manifold which caused it.
Now sorted.

cheers,
G

Gordi Smith
Minor Friendly

Post by Gordi Smith »

Monty-4 wrote:The manifold join problem is common and well documented. I never quite solved mine until I took the time to take the pipe off, sand down the joining surfaces and knock any imperfections in the curve out with a hammer. I also inelegantly plastered the thing with exhaust paste. Re-joining it at the correct angle should solve the problem of it knocking against the body - although check the straps holding the rest of the exhaust too.

As bmc suggests the misfire doesn't sound throttle-spring related. I'd check the choke isn't stuck on, the air filter isn't old/blocked and then move on to the fuel mixture and timing. Work methodically and rule them out one at a time. I'd recommend getting to know some people from the Scottish branch of the club and/or searching these forums for how to check those if you're not sure.

Welcome to the fun of Moggy ownership. :D
Many thanks Monty,
That's all excellent info and feedback.
I'm on it! hehe

cheers!
G