Traveller B-post captive nuts

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tobias Press
MMOC Member: No

Traveller B-post captive nuts

Post by Tobias Press »

HI sorry if this has already been discussed but I cant find the relevant post.
I am in the process of restoring a traveller. i have removed all of the wood due to extensive rot. The captive nuts inside the B- post which the screws screw into for the wood have rusted and are turning in their mounts. I was wondering if anyone knows how to repair this and if they have any pictures to show how to do it, or is it easier to buy a new panel and cut out what i need.
Thanks in advance :)
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Re: Traveller B-post captive nuts

Post by oliver90owner »

Keep it simple. Buy, and change the nut if/as necessary. Alternatively, fix the nut into a permanent position, after making sure it is placed aappropriately to accept the fixing.

If you want it original, you could replace the whole B post, I suppose........
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

It isn't particularly simple, unfortunately. You do need some movement in the nuts to allow you to fit the wood without opening up the screwholes excessively. The cages are mounted on a channel fixed to the inside of the B post, so you need to remove the timber capping at the top of the post and cut out the flat sheet inner face to gain access. You'll then have to assess the damage and work out what you need to do to replace or strengthen the cages. There aren't any replacement panels for B posts (other than the foot).
MorrismattVan
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrismattVan »

Hi, I have just came across the same problem. I had to drill most of my screws out as they were just turning the captive nuts. I know what you mean- you can't get any access to change them. I'm still pondering on this problem! If you figure anything out then let me know! And I will do the same! Thanks!
MorrismattVan
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrismattVan »

Hi, I might have just thought up a soloution to our problems! Just a thought- you would have to be pretty accurate with measurements from the holes in the wood. Then get new bolts and nuts- just normal nuts- then open up the existing holes for the captive nuts, just slightly bigger than the new nuts. Then use a magnet to hold new nut flush with the outside of b pillar, then weld round the nut, grind weld back flush and that then might just do the trick!

There's proberbly other options out there, lots if people must have come across this problem. But as long as accurate measurements are taken from the holes in the wood, because obviously once the nuts are welded in then , well... There in!! Other than that I think this is proberbly the simplest rout to take.

Anyway- let me know of any other ideas
Thanks, matt
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Mark Wilson »

The reason they are captive nuts in cages is that once you get the wood lined up you need to jiggle it around a bit to set the alignments up, so the nuts do need to move. If you could manage with fixed nuts you could possibly fit rivnuts from the outside.

The best answer has to be cutting the thin steel sheet inner face of the B pillar. I've done this to repair corrosion around the lock area, but I didn't have to do anything with the nuts. The attached photo might help you visualise what you are dealing with - you can see the channel, which runs the full height of the B pillar, and one of the nut cages. You can buy cages and nuts from suppliers (I got some from David Manners), not sure if you can get the correct size. It will be very fiddly to weld in there, though.[frame]Image[/frame]
qwertyhenry
Minor Friendly

Post by qwertyhenry »

this is how I did mine hole saw ,keep the peace u cut out weld the nut on to it and then refit and weld [frame]Image[/frame]
Tobias Press

Post by Tobias Press »

Hi guys thanks for all the info. i think i will have to look at cutting the post temperately to sort the issue. i am having to put the project on hold atm due to the winter months but as soon as i start again i will let you know who i did it and how i got on.
thanks again
travellover

Post by travellover »

Hi Tobias, follow the guidance from the fellows above as we were stuck with the same issue & did basically the same In my traveller posts. Remember the measuring position of the hole in wood frame and when welding the nut cage or replacing it to keep it loosen as you might need to adjust slightly when tightening the screws to hold the wood into the B post.
Good luck and let us know the outcome on that task!