Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
biomed32uk
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: gearbox rebuild

Post by biomed32uk »

Wondering how its all going, or indeed gone...?
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Sorry about the lack of update. It would have been all re assembled last week except I had a problem with a certain well known supplier sending me the wrong bearing and then when I questioned its origin after assembling and diss assembling the box six times and wondering why there was too much play between gears ! On checking the width sizes of the old and new third motion shaft bearing , the "new" one was 100 tho smaller on the inner race and was missing the "spacer washer "a phone call to the " well known supplier" and nearly a whole day later and a prompting phone call from me, I was told "you were sold the wrong bearing and I'm afraid the proper one is £4 dearer. Strange seeing as I checked the part number and it was the correct one but some how I was given the " wrong one " and then charged the extra for the right one which I had ordered and paid for in the first place...work that one out, fleeced comes to mind !Any how all's running smoothly by hand so far with the box rebuilt and now starting on the engine which just needs a cleaning down and a repaint with new hoses, stickers, etc. However I seem to be struggling to purchase a clutch drive plate from all the usual suspects, very strange seeing as it's a consumable item so this may hold me up when it's time to fit the whole unit back to where she belongs. Any suggestions on where I can buy a clutch drive plate for a 1969 1098cc minor engine folks?
John Naylor
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by John Naylor »

My box failed a few months back and I have only just completed the rebuild. Last time I wanted a Baulk ring box I paid £2 and it worked fine so I was a bit surprised at today's £100 for an unknown to £500 for rebuilt (well it was 1970). I contacted John Evans who advertises in Minor Matters and he supplied a good layshaft and first motion shaft with new bearings, needle races, gaskets and thrust washers. He does stock new gears but what he sent me was excellent and cheaper. He was absolutely brilliant in helping me by phone when I hit problems through using the Haynes manual - it should carry a health warning! John helped me thro' and I would recommend him. Another good help was thro' googling "MMOCDorset gearbox" with a brilliant guide with excellent photos. Glad I rebuilt my own rather than fitting an unknown or forking out £500.

Bertie.
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

John,
That MMOC Dorset Guide is Biomed32uk's guide and very well done.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
ampwhu
Minor Addict

Post by ampwhu »

just to say I collected a gearbox from mr evans today. he built me an 803 box with 948 internals fitted. what a nice man to deal with. gave me loads of good advice and I am now looking forward to being able to climb hills again!
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

Woops forgot the update, all's well with my gearbox rebuild so far as it's been three weeks or so since having the moggy back on the road with all gears working as they should. :D