Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Vale: Roy Allingham (BMCecosse)

Post by jagnut66 »

I was wondering why we hadn't heard from him (The forum having been down) and this is indeed a blow :cry: . I was hoping he might have seen my Flying Scotsman pictures. I had a British Steam DVD set for Christmas and one of the places visited was the Boness Railway, which reminded me of him. A lot of celebrities died on the run up to this Christmas past and I suggest that in Morris Minor terms, Roy Allingham (BMCecosse), was one of them.
Agreed.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

PaulTubby wrote:RIP Roy, i didnt always agree with its NEVER THE COIL, but he was a very special person who had alot to offer and spent alot of time helping others on here and other forums, he will be sadly missed and never forgot, my thoughts are with his family at this time.. and yes a trophy in tribite of him would be rather fitting in all respects..
I made this thread a couple of years ago based on personnal experience and Roy took the bait! Aside from my waffle, it was interesting to get the insight behind his "never the coil" stance.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=55636
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

I notice he still has a Facebook page. I expect that happens quite a lot when people die and nobody advises Facebook (Unless his family wish to keep the page live).
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Blaketon wrote:I notice he still has a Facebook page. I expect that happens quite a lot when people die and nobody advises Facebook (Unless his family wish to keep the page live).
Sites such as Facebook, Google etc can't divulge the login info after a person has died. This stops family members being able to delete and access email and social media accounts.
This was also the case in the recent terrorism case when the US police went to Apple to gain entry to a phone, Apple would not entertain them, the police ended up having to crack the phone.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I've lost a number of friends over the years including 4 great people that I've met from this message board. It's sad but happens to all of us in the end.

In response to the comment about Facebook - there is a setting to nominate someone to continue your Facebook profile as a memorial when the time comes. (I have done mine)

I've taken some solace from a good friend's memorial page, and I know his family have enjoyed the comments from his wider friends circle.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

First time on the message board since the revamp and I've just found this! Very sad, we've lost a pal. Loved his comments, he could have almost been a Yorkshireman.

Bertie.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

he could have almost been a Yorkshireman.
I reckon that comment would have amused him no end!
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Mark Wilson
Minor Addict

Post by Mark Wilson »

jagnut66 wrote:
he could have almost been a Yorkshireman.
I reckon that comment would have amused him no end!
Best wishes,
Mike.
As a proud Lancastrian living in Yorkshire for 40 years, and as someone who met Roy a few times, I have to agree! I got in trouble when I first moved here for referring to Yorkshiremen as being like Scots with the generosity squeezed out...... :)

Mark
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

you could always get a quick reply from him if you needed an urgent Minor problem sorted, but he didn't stand fools easily, if you failed to respond to his question to clarify a point you didn't get a second chance, quite right, on a free website like this where people give their time and advice for nothing, it's the least you can expect. One of the good blokes.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

The activity seems a lot less since he's gone ..or is that just me? I used to get an answer every time to a query but some of mine have been awaiting a reply yet to no avail lately but seeing as it's free advice I'm not of course complaining. :D
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Budgie wrote:The activity seems a lot less since he's gone ..or is that just me? I used to get an answer every time to a query but some of mine have been awaiting a reply yet to no avail lately but seeing as it's free advice I'm not of course complaining. :D
Roy had a post count of over 50,000 over a period of 11 years - crudely, that equates to an average of 12.5 posts per day, so yes, put simply it will be quieter :wink:
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

How about an acronym for particularly vexing problems.....RWHK.... ROY WOULD HAVE KNOWN.
shoebone
Minor Fan

Post by shoebone »

good acronym .. or maybe ..WWRD, What Would Roy Do ?
incidentally .. he left the forum at exactly 50500 posts on the old site, and the new site shows 11 posts less. I'm sure he would of worked hard to round up that figure .... annoyingly lost through the upgrade. :evil: