Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Daisy1968
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Which battery

Post by Daisy1968 »

I would be grateful of some help as to which battery to buy . Daisy is a 1968 2 door saloon who has decided she would like a new battery and we don't know which one to buy . We are Costco members so may want to buy one there . They stock Bosch car batteries but the book does not list Minors in it !

Thank you ! :D
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Which battery

Post by IslipMinor »

Hi,

First question is whether the car is positive or negative earth. Minor were originally positive earth, but many have been changed to -ve, and almost always will be -ve earth if an alternator has been fitted.

Which is yours?

The next question is what has been fitted as 'extras' to the car? Halogen headlight bulbs, radio, spot lights etc.?

Final question is what sort of use does the car get? Mainly 'open' road, or shortish journeys around town?
Richard

SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by SteveClem »

There's lots of battery stuff on the forum and a search will reveal more than anyone would want to know! I think it's better to keep the battery terminals towards the back of the car (away from the metal retaining strap). Other than that it seems that a Minor doesn't really care what battery it has,provided that it's in good heart.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I think the 063 are the best value- These are fitted to many moderns so this keeps the price down. These are a bit bigger than the ones specified.

Terminals are at the back if you are negative earth.
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

I fitted this one with no problems last year, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-Car-Bat ... Swu4BV6xG2
If you need it it has a 4 year warranty from a known supplier and you can also collect it from your local Euro Car parts store.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
mowogg
Minor Fan

Post by mowogg »

I did the samething. You get quite a discount ordering it online and then collecting.

So far this battery has been excellent with very limited winter use
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

038 battery is fine
[sig]5641[/sig]