Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidmiles
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

wash pump wire connection, no live feed

Post by davidmiles »

the was pump fitted to the offside engine bay, black to earth red to switch on the dash.

black wire attached to live feed bar as indicated by arrow. other end to switch on the dash.

red and black connected to button, but when ignition is on, button pressed, nothing, no whirr of the pump at all, can anyone advise where I've connected up wrongly?
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: wash pump wire connection, no live feed

Post by RobThomas »

Eeek. If that black wire is on the same terminal as the brown wire then it isn't fused. If the black wire earths against the dashboard you might get a bit crispy. Best to run it from the other (purple) side of the fuse box.
The other end of the black (normally the colour for eart) goes, presumably, to the switch and then becomes red up to the pump. The other pump connection (looks black?) should go to earth somewhere. Is that what you've got?
Try exchanging the 2 terminals on the waterpump since they can't be run backwards in many cases. After that it would be a duff switch.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rob
Cardiff, UK
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

thanks for you quick reply Rob, i'll try that.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

I should also say that running from the purple is not the same as running from the green termianl of the fusebox since the purple, whilst fused, will be able to run constantly, even with the ignition switch off. Better to go via the green so it only runs when the ignition is on.
Cardiff, UK
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

I think you might be right about the switch Rob, I re-positioned the back wire onto the purple side of the power source, then my multi meter shows power on the black wire at the switch, but nothing on the red wire at the switch when the ignition is on, so you hit the nail on the head with it being a switch fault. If I join up the switch wires, with care! and switch on the ignition, the pump should go? Green option noted too Rob, thanks again for your quick help.

later...

yes it's the switch alright, I touched the two switch wires together using rubber handled pliers, turned on the ignition and it pumper water right away. Now, how do I find a replacement switch like this, I'll try Halfords?