Bessie, 1964 Traveller restoration

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Johnny
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Bessie, 1964 Traveller restoration

Post by Johnny »

So almost a year ago now the MOT was due. Doing the usual checks and poking around with a screwdriver and glad that I did, well kind of. Talk about Pandora's box!

I've had the car about 10 years and bought it as a rolling restoration. In that time I've had the wood replaced, Woodies (great job) and put a reconditioned engine in.

First of all I found some rot on the nearside wheel arch and further poking and scratching uncovered rotten sills and hinge post..[frame]Image[/frame]

Then some more on the other side.. Including a lovely aluminium plate pop riveted over the hole.
[frame]Image[/frame]

I never stripped it back as it always felt very solid.

The sills are knackered on both sides too. As well as the rear wheel arches.

So to cut a long story short, I bought a Mig welder and learnt to weld, still learning but getting somewhere..

First job was to strip it right down and then engine and gearbox out. Up on axle stands and remove offside suspension, taking time for a clean down and repaint.

[frame]Image[/frame]

Cut out the rotten panels. As a novice I found it easier to replace rather than repair any panels that were gone.[frame]Image[/frame]

Then cleaning back and rust proofing.[frame]Image[/frame]

Had to make a small repair on the offside bulk head aperture (there's probably a proper name for this).

[frame]Image[/frame]

Then fixing and fitting the new panels.[frame]Image[/frame]

That's enough for now.. more to follow shortly.
Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Re: Bessie, 1964 Traveller restoration

Post by Fingolfin »

Good work so far! That kind of rot is pretty common.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

Great project! You seem to know what your doing and your also benefitting from the replacement panels available. I was also amazed by what these hide.
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

Thanks for the comments, it's great to get some feed back and most appreciated.

finally all welded in and primed up. The panels are not an exact fit so I clamped them in place and run the flap sander round until the edges were flush, I also put a plug weld every few inches or so.
[frame]Image[/frame]

Inside primed also[frame]Image[/frame]

a ubiquitous before and after..[frame]Image[/frame]

Now I need to get the hinge pillar in place, to be honest I gave up after a couple of hours on Sunday, put the suspension back on and moved it over so I could work on the other side.

The only trouble is, I'll need to replace the Kingpin, it managed to fall out of the vice and now the top trunion is extremely stiff when screwed back on! An expensive mistake.[frame]Image[/frame]
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

Excellent job :) You can really see the construction of the area, great for other who will be attempting the same job
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Great job were the panels a good fit ?
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

The panels did require a bit of pushing and pulling but did fit reasonably well. in the places where they overlapped I used the flap disc on the angle grinder to get them flush.

I'll take more detailed photos of the other side as I do it.
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

So, time for another update.

Haven't had as much time as I would have liked but have been progressing, albeit slowly.

After the last panels were welded in, I decided to strip out the engine bay. Took a couple of pictures so I know where everything should go back. before, during and after pics below.
before cleaned after bulkhead.JPG
before cleaned after bulkhead.JPG (75.7 KiB) Viewed 4488 times
I used the epoxy primer from Rustbusters. The red oxide dried to a more rose gold but there was good coverage and I was more than impressed with the result. Used a spray gun that came with my 2.5hp air compressor that I bought recently.

Also discovered that slippage on my MIG was due (hopefully) to worn teeth on the wire roller. I've ordered a new one and hope this will make a difference.
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

Took the boxing panel off last weekend to asses the situation.. Just as I thought, not great.

I'll be spending this weekend making room in the other garage so I can take the back off.

The new wire rollers have turned up for the MIG so I can crack on with something.

I realised that I made the mistake with the offside of welding on the inner wing before repairing the sills. I'll have to reassess this, don't want to have to take it off but.. we'll see.
NEAR SIDE SILL 1.jpg
NEAR SIDE SILL 1.jpg (172.1 KiB) Viewed 4460 times
Roll on Friday! Better tell my nan to stock up on tea!
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

now here's a thing....

I was offering up the nearside inner wing and put the grill and radiator surround on the front to check spaces, all fitted well.

EXCEPT... the grill and radiator surround were an inch lower than the chassis legs and front cross member..

The only thing I can think that has happened is that the chassis leg has sagged whilst being on axle stands. I just cant work it out. So should I start again and be further back from when I started or carry on and hope that the discrepancy will be taken up in the universal joints on the prop shaft. but then the gearbox mounts on the crossmember would be out I expect.

It has actually gone together really well, for a first timer except for this problem. ARGHGHGHGH

The only thing is when I was doing the offside, the axle stand was under the bulkhead so there was no strain on the front chassis leg and the same on the near side, I just cant work it out!

Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

So after a few months with not much happening due to weather and refurbing the bathroom |I've managed to get over the garage a bit lately.

with a bit of help I managed to lift the entire back section off a couple of weekends ago
BACK OFF.jpeg
BACK OFF.jpeg (539.26 KiB) Viewed 3563 times
The intention was to weld up the new nearside sills and replace the rear wheel arch but..... after cutting away the boxing panel and bottom of the B post I decided that it would be more viable to put a new floor pan in than spend time patching etc. and the fact that I do love to make work for myself!
IMG_20180428_131247484_LL.jpg
IMG_20180428_131247484_LL.jpg (626.67 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
IMG_20180428_131257594.jpg
IMG_20180428_131257594.jpg (631.62 KiB) Viewed 3564 times
just waiting for the new parts to turn up and of course a handy long weekend to do it in.

I cut out as much of the floor pan as possible but left the sill step in for strength and reference. I think I'll be a lot more comfortable replacing the whole lot. however will want to strip back and epoxy primer the new panels before fitting.

Unfortunately I will be loosing the garage in a few weeks as my Nan is moving so the car is going to have to go with her. Thankfully there is a garage at her new place, though just a single. so will need to get the wheel arches done asap.
panky
Minor Legend

Post by panky »

I'll be watching with interest as I'm soon to tackle the same job, doesn't the cost of panels add up quickly :(
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

Doesn't it just..

I'm keeping a spreadsheet of the cost of the job so far and it's eye watering!

Should be able to reclaim most from the swear box though :P
Mor$

Post by Mor$ »

Got any new updates about Bessie?
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

Hi there,

It's full steam ahead at the moment as I'm getting it ready to move soon to a new garage.

Put the new floor pan in last weekend and is just tacked in place at the moment.

I'll update with pictures shortly.
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

Well, here we have most of the floor cut out...
IMG_20180506_160608346.jpg
IMG_20180506_160608346.jpg (4.26 MiB) Viewed 3206 times

and all the new panels stripped and primed up.
IMG_20180506_104538969_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180506_104538969_HDR.jpg (4.65 MiB) Viewed 3206 times
Final word to the wise, don't leave your almost finished coffe in the garage for 2 weeks in the summer..
IMG_20160529_122244821.jpg
IMG_20160529_122244821.jpg (422.46 KiB) Viewed 3206 times
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

I like a decent cup of coffee when I'm working in the garage too. I seriously don't like the look of yours !!
( No Offence ).
Great work on the car, no wonder you forgot the coffee , a lot to crack on with before Nan's house move.
Keep plugging away and drink the whole cup of coffee next time , you've earnt it.
Bob