Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dockerman
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

no power to trafficator switch

Post by dockerman »

Hi all could someone help me please i have a march 1956 splitscreen all original i have no power to my original trafficator switch and i cant work out the wiring diagram and fuse box as all the wires are black in the car and covered in a black tar they did work when i got the car but they went off the same time as the windscreen wipers the horn and lights work front and back
Thank you
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Re: no power to trafficator switch

Post by firedrake1942 »

sounds foolish but have you checked the fuses if it affects more than one system ???
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

The trafficators and wipers are indeed fed by the same fuse (along with the fuel gauge too) so first check the fuses. It can be that the fusebox contacts are grubby so make sure all is clean and if the wiring is as poor as you suggest..........I would consider a new wiring loom which isn't all that expensive or difficult to fit really.
The trafficator wiring is really simple, just a live wire from the fusebox to the switch and then flicking the switch sends the current to the required side :)
dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

Thanks for the info on my trafficator problem i have tested the 2 two fuses and they are fine, in the fuse box A1 and A fuses dont work but the other 3 do work.when you put the top fuse in nothing works but the bottom fuse is ok could you please tell me which fuse supply's the trafficators and which part of the fuse box supply's the trafficators if that makes sense.
Thank you
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

can you post a picture of your fuse box arrangement. I only have two fuses on my 1957 and yours may be different buy you could try taking a separate (long wire) feed from the power / fuse box to the trafficator live and seeing if it still works
dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

Thanks once again for the info will take a photo and try the direct feed
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I have a 58 traveller and i am just in the process of cleaning up the wiring, my trafficators have never worked as i was told they have been disconnected, my loom is original and has very few mods but behind the drivers side glovebox i just found 2 wires not connected with bullet connectors on, One is green/red the other green/white i suspect they have been left unused as the car has had inicators fitted after it was built, hopefully i can make mine work with the inicators aswell.

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

N30 may assist on the workshop manual http://www.dolphnproductions.com/morrisminor.pdf

jm
olderisbetter
Minor Addict

Post by olderisbetter »

I think the wires i found may well be just the supply to the bulbs and not the trafficators, when i put the battery terminal on i will see if they do anything if i connect them up.

dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

Am not sure how to put photos on the site yet could you tell me how thanks
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

go to 'Problems with the Messageboard' - its the first topic but despite asking and being ignored by those responsible for the site (- which in general is really useful and informative, occasionally hilarious and frequently puzzling) I still cannot get a signature picture - good luck
dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

once again thank you
dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

Trafficators all sorted i took out the drivers side glove box and sorted out all the wiring out thanks very much for your help ,but still cant put photos on here its all changed
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Given that this is a frequent problem and possibly as a result of the website changes and given that much of the time a photo on the site can well illustrate a problem or issue, it is time the club addressed the difficulty many are having.

Have you considered the LED flashing festoon bulbs in the trafficators. They are dear about £22.00 a pair but make a huge difference if the trafficators are the only means of indicating that you have.

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLwsOD ... e=youtu.be

happy minoring
dockerman
Minor Friendly

Post by dockerman »

I have them in and they are working well