Engine Identification

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
qwerty165
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Engine Identification

Post by qwerty165 »

I was just wondering on the off chance if anyone is able to identify the engine in the picture below. On the one side there is BMC in the casting. The pulley on the front says British Anzani England and the only other thing is a stamped in number SO6226BR.
Image.jpg
Image.jpg (282.74 KiB) Viewed 1624 times

firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Engine Identification

Post by firedrake1942 »

This might help in the search!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzani

British Anzani
In the UK, British Anzani outsourced the manufacture of their engines to Coventry Ordnance Works Ltd. In the 1920s, it was refinanced as British Vulpine Engine Company, and then again as British Anzani Engineering Company, concentrating on small engines and car and motorcycle powerplants. They supplied AC Cars with the 1496cc side-valve four-cylinder (that would become AC's famous 2-litre motor), Frazer-Nash with a 1496cc side valve engine, (latterly supercharged) Morgan Motor Company with a V-twin, and Squire with the R1 twin cam engine. Berkeley Cars used small Anzani motorcycle engines in some models. British Anzani's best known products were motorcycle, lawnmower and outboard engines. Cotton, Tandon and Greeves motorcycles used Anzani motors.

In later years, the company diversified. In the years after World War II, the company's main product was the 'Iron Horse' - a two-wheeled pedestrian-controlled ploughing engine and light tractor. In time, four-wheeled versions with the driver sitting on the front of the vehicle were produced. The company became the British Anzani Group, and was trading under that name when it went into liquidation in 1980.
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

Thank you for the information, it is very interesting.

firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

having trawled the net (yes I have too much time on my hands) using the Lucas Magneto as a starting point I have found your engine two posts down this thread.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/s ... nes/page19

It would appear it is an outboard motor type marine engine, vertically mounted.
qwerty165
Minor Addict

Post by qwerty165 »

Thank you very much indeed, I am most grateful to you. You are obviously better at searching the internet than me; I gave up after a couple of hours of finding nothing.