57 Saloon, rotten!

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: 57 Saloon, rotten!

Post by SageGreenPete »

Two cans of this have gone into the front rails, under the rear seat and all four doors so far, rear chassis and boxing to do later.
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

I've had a lap of the village sat on a beer crate!

Torsion bar on drivers side to adjust, gearbox and engine oils to change and interior to fit then I can start looking at the paint work and the rear bumper.
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

It's been a while since I did this but I think you will find there are 4 rubber strips that fit into recessed channels in the floor pan, (running north to south) then when you screw the gearbox cover in place this should give you the correct height to clear the cap. If you have reproduction floor panels they won't be recessed though. This info applies to the van/ pickup but probably the saloon as well. How much does the cap stick out?

SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Morning.

Yes quite a bit, probably be lost in the underlay easily enough though, it's a genuine master cylinder too, I could pack the cover up a but I suppose but it might be worse. I'll see if I can scoop the inside of the bung a bit.
greendefender123
Minor Addict

Post by greendefender123 »

That's coming together nicely. I used the same foam as you for the tunnel tho fitted it to the car. Should be easier to remove in the future anyway. Bet it was nice going for a run knowing your all solid now.
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

I've used the foam for the door bottom inner seals too, not concourse but better than those stupid metal strips and clips!

I need to raise the drivers side and do the tie bar nuts and split pins but it did feel good, the brakes and clutch pedal have never felt so good and there was no clunks from the new rear end or anything.

I'm going to have an mot test and half an hour extra on the ramp just to check all the bolts etc after a few hundred miles as I've pretty much had every bolt off it now!
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

It's good to see you still have the original gearbox floor cover. They are a bit different in the front area. They modified it a little later to give your left foot a little more room since you RHD people are driving on the narrower floor side cause by the offset in the remote shifter.
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

It's 60 years old in November too!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Are you having a party ? Mine is 60 on the 6th of June. Cake and drinkies I think, perhaps some oil for Neddy (The car)

jm
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

That's not a bad idea! It will be my 40th a few weeks after it's 60th too :D
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Seat on the right cleaned with creme cleaner, left just a nice amount of patina for my tastes.

Need to fit this lot, note the new canvas bag for spares and tools to finish off the carpeted boot, fancy eh?!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Pete those seats look vinyl and probably from a post 1963 model.

They do seem to go well with the car tho.

Originally they would have been one of two shapes - mine albeit in red are the rounded back, a hangover from the series 2 - and in leather with white piping with leatherette door cards / wheel arch trims / seat backs
Attachments
Sadie's Seat Cleaning Cont'd.06.03.2014 008.jpg
Sadie's Seat Cleaning Cont'd.06.03.2014 008.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
mbimage.php.jpg
mbimage.php.jpg (27.13 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
9344755078_cfb13b68d7_c.jpg
9344755078_cfb13b68d7_c.jpg (292.37 KiB) Viewed 2936 times
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Oh yeah they are long gone, they were in it when I bought it but I fitted these soon after I bought it and re did the diaphragms, I paid a whole £62 for the entire interior! Not period correct but much better than the rotten ones it came with.
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

They were round back, I've still got some of the trim pieces between the doors etc but I'm wrapping them in bottle green pvc to match my carpets so it will be a mix of sage and bottle green similar to how it was but the other way around as it was dark green seats and light green carpets, it's very green! :D
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Ok it's not period correct but it's tidy enough :)

Waiting on the dark green vinyl to cover the kidney pieces etc
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

After all this work the biggest difference has been cleaning the seats and fitting new bonnet anti rattle rubber pieces all round, new number plate bolts have solved all the rattles I've lived with for years!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Non original but looks excellent !Well done
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

Thanks! :D

Been out in it tonight, just got in, it was like a pair of comfy slippers after two years or more of not being on the road, it's used some water and the fuel gauge didn't register the fuel I've put in but I'm thinking the water just hadn't circulated after taking the hose off to fit the engine mounts, it needs draining and filing with antifreeze anyway, fuel tank just needs an earth I think.

Time to start the body work then :-?
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by myoldjalopy »

What a lovely, unspoilt dashboard you have! :D
SageGreenPete
Minor Fan

Post by SageGreenPete »

It's a lovely view ahead isn't it, I like it at night with the clock illuminated :)