Are members allowed to use the facilities at the MMOC unit

Post by irmscher »

Just wondering
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Are members allowed to use the facilities at the MMOC unit

Post by firedrake1942 »

What, let the proles in ? Good God man what are you thinking ! The nice shiny new toy invaded by the great unwashed ?
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
palacebear
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by palacebear »

Having only been an MMOC member since May 2016, I may well have missed out on the Club's rationale behind the facilities provised at the new HQ.
This thread prompted me to read the MMOC HQ feature in Minor Matters vol.38 no.3 which I have to confess I only briefly skimmed through when first published. I may be wrong here but IMHO the feature implies that HQ is largely only available to those engaged in 'official' club business. The feature mentions 'exhibition zone' and 'archive storage' area, but fails to explain who benefits from these facilities. I can understand the need for spares storage, but remained puzzled, as posts by Bryan Gostling elsewhere on the forum suggest that club spares are currently, and will continue to be held at multiple locations. Personally, I would question the need for and the expense of providing a four-post vehicle lift. I would be interested to learn how much use it gets and who benefits from it in both practical and financial terms, and how much it costs to maintain within the framework of HSE requirements.
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Any photos of this facility, sounds interesting and very useful for members in the area. :D i read 'official' club business as facilitating members needs.

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

les wrote:i read 'official' club business as facilitating members needs.
I read 'official' club business as committee meetings, AGM (thought this was part of the National rally weekend anyway), availabilty to other affiliate clubs, and for seminars. The latter currently remains a mystery. Seminars organised by whom? Seminars on what subjects? Seminars attended by whom? Seminars for the benefit of whom?
1956 4-door called Max
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

MMOC HQ schedules. Summer 2017.

Mon. 5:30 until 8pm. Triumph Herald Club Line Dancing.

Tues. 9:30 until 3pm. Morris Marina/Ital Morris Dancing.
3:30 until 8pm. Land Rover Heavy Metal Band practice.

Wed. All day. All day breakfast. 3 rashers, 2 sausages, beans, fried egg and black pudding. Served on a 4-post lift.

Thurs. 9:30 until 3pm. Lucas Wiring Owners Club.
3:01 until fire is out. Lucas Fire Department Appreciation Society.

Fri. 9:00 until 2pm. Wolseley Brake Drum Club. (May last longer if unable to stop in time.)
3:00 until midnight. Swingers Club (Bring your own starting handle)
Last edited by RobThomas on Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cardiff, UK
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

As I suspected - nothing for us then. Even the all-day breakfast lacks appeal owing to the absence of fried bread :lol:
1956 4-door called Max
LobbyLudd
Minor Fan

Post by LobbyLudd »

irmscher wrote:Just wondering
Wondering? Wondering? "We will have no wondering here - This is a 'local' facility for 'local' officials - Strangers (and revolting members) would not be welcome here ".
'69 4 door saloon, traf: blue.

'LIFE'- is what happens when you are busy planning other things. John Lennon
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

LobbyLudd wrote:
irmscher wrote:Just wondering
Wondering? Wondering? "We will have no wondering here - This is a 'local' facility for 'local' officials - Strangers (and revolting members) would not be welcome here ".
I used to love The League of Gentlemen.

Yes, we did get it in Saudi - amazingly.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

palacebear wrote:
les wrote:i read 'official' club business as facilitating members needs.
I read 'official' club business as committee meetings, AGM (thought this was part of the National rally weekend anyway), availabilty to other affiliate clubs, and for seminars. The latter currently remains a mystery. Seminars organised by whom? Seminars on what subjects? Seminars attended by whom? Seminars for the benefit of whom?
I was referring to the use of the recently installed 4 post lift. Who's it for if not local members? That would be official use surely. Being a member, if I was local and needed a limited use of a ramp, I'd come knocking on the door! :D
Don't know how I missed the centre spread in the mag, I've since found it, re my earlier request for pictures!

palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Judging by the photograph, the lift is (or was) nothing more than an expensive and impractical container for a bodyshell !

Forgive me if I sound cynical, but somehow I can't see the average rank-and-file member getting any direct use of the facilities, unless they volunteer to assist an a club project at some stage.
1956 4-door called Max
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

You may well be right about not being for general use but our subs must have helped over the years, to enable the club to buy the place outright, and keeping the use of the other facility. Can you imagine a local member, who needed help in this manner, being refused?

firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Yay the peasants are revolting. Club business .... = use by plebeian members . I rather doubt it.

This is quite the most amusing thread since Ginger Bush but it masks a serious point - What is it really for.? It is quite telling that no one within the Führerbunker has clarified as yet,. A bit like my mail to Ray Newell three weeks ago, to which I have not even received the courtesy of an acknowledgement.

Perhaps the area under the 4 post lift will be where we all get put up against the wall and shot with air lines.
Last edited by firedrake1942 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I'd be happy to be proved wrong. A clear explanation of the premises' purpose, and to whom its facilities are available would be helpful but until that is forthcoming, I guess we can only speculate.
1956 4-door called Max
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

A four post ramp at around £3000 seems a bit extravagant when it wont get much use should members not get a say in how club funds are spent !!.I am shocked at how the MMOC has become a business and gone from the friendly club it used to be to employing staff and non communicating committee members and everything at top prices and draconian ruling :( .I know now I will be getting a stern tongue lashing of the powers that be for making these true comments :roll:
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

irmscher wrote: I know now I will be getting a stern tongue lashing of the powers that be for making these true comments :roll:
I wouldn't expect a stern tongue lashing anytime soon. Those who look after our moral welfare on the forum have been conspicuous by their absence in recent weeks.
1956 4-door called Max
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

It would be easy enough for a member in the area to rock up at the door and ask to use the lift to have a quick look underneath. It's an unknown at the moment. Any volunteers?

Regarding the committee, I've been in quite a few organisations and clubs as ordinary member, committee member or chairman. I guess we can all stand for committee and we can all vote for whom we like? That's how to solve problems - if any. But beware. My experience of committees is 1) There is a lot more work than ordinary members realise 2) You don't get paid and 3) 30% of the committee members usually do 90% of the work.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

True dat! but given that most of us are generally happy to be part of the silent majority (or lumpen proletariat as J.Ress Mogg would no doubt put it) the self perpetuating oligarchy will continue ... yea, even unto the ninth generation!
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Is this the same Jacob Rees Mogg that is worth 170 million :lol: :lol: