Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Another log book and id plates for sale on Ebay

Post by irmscher »

item number 192249757868 reg of vehicle is HPR 735 1955 split screen I have reported it but its still on :evil: maybe need others to do the same :)
POMMReg
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Another log book and id plates for sale on Ebay

Post by POMMReg »

I only list these if a chassis number is known.

Not THAT important tbh on pre-66 cars, bodyshell stamped so provided THAT matches the chassis & body ID plates your safe.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

FBA11/352009
Auction includes plate from n/s top of bulkhead. Numbr looks like ZA7801 (?)
1956 4-door called Max
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

I've also reported it and encourage others to do the same.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Chris there is no car just logbook and plates the owner says he scrapped the car
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

palacebear wrote:FBA11/352009
Thanks, will add.

Should have 2 body ID tags; long metal Z17801 one & an alloy "BM" tag which is the body number!

"Motoring Memorabilia"? I think NOT!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

palacebear wrote:FBA11/352009
Z.17801 2dr bodyshell used between chassis nos. 342xxx - 380xxx approx. Roughly,5mths in production.

Can you make out the number following the Z17801 code?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Only other details visible are engine number on chassis plate (203110), and that a DVLA tax status print-out. ( Untaxed. Blue. 1098cc ).

I've phoned Ebay customer services and been put through to their 'prohibited listings' team. Explained situation. They've checked the listing and found that, apart from my complaint it is in breach of ebay t&c's anyway. So dual investigation under way. Will take approx 48hrs to deal with, then listing will be removed if complaint upheld.
1956 4-door called Max
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

These apparent scams seem to crop up often, and I go 'tut tut ' and disapprove because it's obviously not right. Just seems to me that all the reporting to sites and huffing and puffing doesn't seem to do much good. There must be a better way of dealing with this...maybe all car registrations and details should be put into purdah if the car disappears for a bit?
They could be resurrected with appropriate evidence .I'm no expert on this but it seems like the whole system is not fit for purpose . :-?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Dead right the system isn't fit for purpose. In this instance, DVLA as usual aren't interested. Advised to notify police. Police aren't interested as no crime has been committed until a car emerges bearing the identity being sold. Advised by them that its a DVLA issue or possibly a DVSA issue, if the original vehicle (scrapped over 12 years ago) can be identified. And so it goes on... and on... and on... :roll:
1956 4-door called Max
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

POMMReg wrote:I only list these if a chassis number is known.

Not THAT important tbh on pre-66 cars, bodyshell stamped so provided THAT matches the chassis & body ID plates your safe.
Various ways to change the stamped in chassis number on the bulkhead, (Non if which I'll broadcast on a public forum, obviously)....
Even if the DVLA aren't interested surely its worth keeping a record of registrations advertised in this way as 'suspicious history'
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

I've seen one, but it was so obviously wrong.

Checked behind dash to see TWO sets of stamped impressions!!
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

I guess it's pretty easy to change a chassis number if you have the skills and the time.

But I doubt many tea leaves would go that far.

If they were clever and dedicated enough to do so, would they be nicking cars?

Mindless twocas. We don't have the quality of criminal we did when I was a lad ;)
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

the police aren't interested because they don't have the manpower to look at what MIGHT become a crime,in my day back in the eighties,we in Cleveland/durham had a dedicated stolen vehicle team, three guys who only looked at stolen vehicles in particular any vehicle re registered after accident or a long time off road,they were experts in where id numbers were,knew every variance between most models , Anyone application for road tax or change of owner on suspected cars was passed to them via the old tax office and they looked at each car,and if satisfied gave the ok .They even had the authority to re stamp chassis numbers to clarify Identity of vehicle. They were the curse of the old shut and cut accident rebuilders,which were prolific back then.They would have LOVED E BAY and been all over anyone selling I Ds .. No longer ,and never likely to come back.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

They don't have the manpower because the 'party of law and order' has cut 20.000 officers and even more civil staff from the numbers. It is also because people are reporting handbags at dawn as crimes and even playground scuffles get a crime number. In the meantime almost no-one is investigating 'low level' fraud unless the victim has friends in high places. We get the police we deserve !
burnham28
Minor Fan

Post by burnham28 »

I agree 100%.
[img]jpg[/img]
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Puzzled me why that Glasgow bin lorry driver wasn't prosecuted.

43mph in a 40mph and you're banged to rights!!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Its a bit off-topic I know but the bin lorry driver had a medical condition and he has since been banned from driving indefinitely, although it took yet another collision (the result of another black-out) for this to happen. I know some laws in Scotland differ from England so I can only comment on the English version. There is currently NO control over recording medical conditions with the DVLA. Your medical practicioner can recommend that you notify the DVLA of a relevent medical condition but that's all. I understand that new legislation is being drawn up which will soon make it mandatory for your practicioner to notify the DVLA on your behalf, meaning people like said lorry driver will no longer be able to dodge the issue.
1956 4-door called Max
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

BrianHawley wrote:I guess it's pretty easy to change a chassis number if you have the skills and the time.

But I doubt many tea leaves would go that far.

If they were clever and dedicated enough to do so, would they be nicking cars?

Mindless twocas. We don't have the quality of criminal we did when I was a lad ;)
Yes, I'd agree. Seen a few altered Minors, non of them very convincing to the cognoscenti. The silliest one being a 58ish convertible on a J plate - wrong in so many ways. Even the body numbers had been changed but were still smoke grey which stood out on a dark green car...
Sad thing was that the owner very much wasn't of the cognoscenti so was happy that all was well.
On another occasion I was brought a series 2 saloon to convert to convertible complete with all appropriate parts off a scrapped genuine convertible, even including the section of bulkhead with chassis number to weld in.....
I did the job, but 'accidentally' lost the chassis number section in my scrap bin during the work! I expect it still ended up as a ringer but my conscience was clear.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Without going into detail, I'll confess that even Max has a bit of an identity crisis which arose during restoration in 1990. As the guy who restored him kept him for another 20 years I consider the identity issue arose from well-meant but misguided motives.
1956 4-door called Max