Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Are members allowed to use the facilities at the MMOC unit

Post by les »

Crikey, that's almost footballers territory!

irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Yes Les and born with a silver spoon and soon to take over from May I would think :roll:
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

firedrake1942 wrote:True dat! but given that most of us are generally happy to be part of the silent majority (or lumpen proletariat as J.Ress Mogg would no doubt put it) the self perpetuating oligarchy will continue ... yea, even unto the ninth generation!
So we are like most other organisations I've been in. Run by an active few for a compliant and silent majority. It can work, but relies on the good faith of the active few.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

Re Rees Smeg: born not just with a silver spoon but an entire canteen of Apsrey's cutlery in his mouth ! I hope he is the next Tory leader, it would utterly destroy them ! Come the revolution!

Re the good faith of the silent majority..... It cannot and should not be taken for granted. (But it appears to be being so taken!)
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Re Rees Smeg: born not just with a silver spoon but an entire canteen of Apsrey's cutlery in his mouth ! I hope he is the next Tory leader, it would utterly destroy them ! Come the revolution!

Re the good faith of the silent majority..... It cannot and should not be taken for granted. (But it appears to be being so taken!)
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I think he can be very amusing...and he's probably mostly harmless :wink: l could be slightly biased because he said nice things about my Traveller!
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Uninintentionally amusing I suspect, Like John Redwood he is definitely from a different planet. Deffo not harmless and from an age where servants and peasants were flogged. I suspect he liked your Travveler not for the reasons you and I would like it, but because it reminded him of the indentured serfs' cottages on his palatial estate !
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Having a bit of a boring afternoon, chaps? :wink:
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

This thread seems to have digressed a bit, and the original question remains unresolved, who can use facilities and when. There seems to be a complete disconnect between the club and the website, each operating in splendid isolation. I noticed this before when I queried the relationship between the club and its insurers, no response from anyone other than rank and file posters. Surely there should be someone at an official level monitoring the site and explaining the club position, as a matter of courtesy to members at least.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

I would agree with ianmack. However in my (so far limited) experience, the only link between club and forum are the moderators (who's collective absence in recent weeks I've commented on elsewhere). However, the moderators only seem to speak out when they consider something detrimental to the club's public face has been posted, at which point the most prolific moderator merely seeks to administer correction by embarrasment.
1956 4-door called Max
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

liammonty wrote:Having a bit of a boring afternoon, chaps? :wink:
Yep! Hammering down with rain, and waiting for lots of family calls...rain stopped play in the cricket etc. :D
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Ian, Ian Ian!!!!! such hopefulness, such Ohh i don't know, expectation that apart from being lambasted for using mild expletives which I can hear from any 12 year old any street in the country, treated like a 12 year old when expressing a perfectly valid opinion, apart from fobbed off when one complains about the above, apart from being ignored when contacting elected committee members,; you want courtesy from the Führerbunker as well ???
toulky
Minor Friendly

Post by toulky »

Just back from a very wet Vintage Car Rally and Country Fair at Sticker. Hopefully tomorrow will be drier to perhaps allow the hood down !
Thought you would like to know :lol:
Ams07

Post by Ams07 »

Hi, the aim of the new premises is to develop the services the club offers, we are now in a position to look at how we do this. Recently the East Midlands branch held a technical night at the office and used the ramp to demonstrate the basics of servicing and how to strip an engine down etc, with Alan Scott. The ramp has be purchased for demonstrations and facilitating storage of the clubs vehicles. At the moment we are finishing off the access ramp to the new lift.

A couple of other Morris car clubs have used the meeting room, which is strengthening the Morris vehicle association (MVA) bonds, which is good for those who like Morris cars and Commercials.

Happy to discuss how you would like to see things develop at the new office.

Andrew Stone
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Andrew, thanks for the response. Hopefully the facility use can be discussed through all the club channels, including the website, magazine and meetings.

Having put the cat among the pigeons I must now admit that my interest in the new HQ is purely academic as I live too far away.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

firedrake1942 wrote:
you want courtesy from the Führerbunker as well ???
Actually when he wasn't having one of his carpet-chewing episodes the Fuhrer could be a very effective communicator.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

As my relatives found out in Auschwitz-Birkenau and Chemnitz !
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Sorry to hear that firedrake.
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

BrianHawley wrote:It would be easy enough for a member in the area to rock up at the door and ask to use the lift to have a quick look underneath. It's an unknown at the moment. Any volunteers?

Regarding the committee, I've been in quite a few organisations and clubs as ordinary member, committee member or chairman. I guess we can all stand for committee and we can all vote for whom we like? That's how to solve problems - if any. But beware. My experience of committees is 1) There is a lot more work than ordinary members realise 2) You don't get paid and 3) 30% of the committee members usually do 90% of the work.
Brian
Thank you for your sensible comments. I came upon this subject by sheer chance as I have little time to look at the website as do other members of the committee because we are too busy doing all those things needed to run a club ( and all the additional burdens placed by the club being a limited company) which few if no-one else is prepared to give up their spare time and VOLUNTEER to do.
Most of the comments seem to be from people, possibly not even members, who spent all their time putting anti MMOC messages on the website without checking their facts out first by contacting either of the 3 club directors. Putting messages like this on the website is not the way to get the true facts, all you get is supposition and here say.
Bryan
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

Bryan,

Apart from the fact that it is 'hearsay' .... my posts are not anti-MMOC - I joined originally in 1978 and have been on many rallies and trips both here and abroad and have been trying to get a reply from the Secretary by e-mail for over a month. It is not surprising that many happy minor owning members get frustrated when Derby do not return calls as promised and Committee members and VOLUNTEERS (NB this is the text version of shouting) do not return messages. I am well aware of what a being a volunteer entails. As a secretary of a small local branch, I am not unfamiliar with the difficult role of herding cats.

There is, or appears to be, a significant disconnect between the centre and the periphery. When issues are raised on this forum, whether it be in relation to the operation of the forum or other subjects, I have seen members dismissed almost out of hand, almost as irritants - complaints are brushed off or dismissed, equally lightly. Whilst I accept that the written word can be interpreted in various ways, and not always as the author originally intended, it ill behoves an organisation which exists with the support of its membership, not to engage with them, and particularly when there appear to be deep seated issues which do need addressing.

I will continue to try the avenues you have kindly suggested , but my experience, thus far, would seem to demonstrate that there is little appetite for such engagement.