MM Quarterlight Repair

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
spike_esq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

MM Quarterlight Repair

Post by spike_esq »

Greetings. I have a pair of door surrounds for my 1949 lowlight Saloon soon to be polished and rechromed however one of the quarterlight frames needs to be refurbished due to severe corrosion in the usual place. Please can any of the forum readers suggest/ recommend a suitable experienced individual or company to undertake the necessary repairs to the quarterlight frame. This will require replacing the bottom section and reattaching the half moon style catch mechanism. Really welcome your feedback. Many thanks in advance. Regards....spike (bath)
plumby74
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Re: MM Quarterlight Repair

Post by plumby74 »

I could have a sound quarterlight window-frame here in plain steel, probably from a Series MM, which you could then get chromed.

You do not say which side you need though.
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Hi Plumby74,

Thanks so much for the reply which sounds very encouraging. The damaged quarterlight frame is from the passenger side. There are some "specifics" relating to the lowlight MM when compared with the later 2door quarterlight arrangement. The type (half moon) and position of the catch and the type and location of the upper and lower swivel pillars. Please excuse me if you are aware of these as this reply is just for clarification and identification needs for the frame. I look forward to your further reply and hope you have the correct frame side and type required. I would be so pleased. Welcome your further feedback. Many thanks. Regards...spike
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

The shape of the curve is the same. The top pivot can be fitted into a later frame and the extra hole welded up. I've tried making a new frame in mild steel which was about 90% good enough, hence I went for a stainless frame on our Lowlight. Also, the rubbers are different and NLA in good condition, although Phil may have some? I have one NOS set that I'm saving for a rainy day.

I may have a steel original frame somewhere here in Cardiff and will have a search for you.
Cardiff, UK
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the informative reply. Yes, I also currently have stainless steel door frames but stumbled on the old previously chrome plated frames recently. These have presented a few issues as we strive for originality. If you come across the steel frame mentioned please further advise. Plumby74 is also checking for a steel frame. Perhaps Phil if he is reading this post will advise on the availability of the rubbers? Thanks to all. However we're not quite over the finish line yet. Thanks again for the feedback thus far. Regards...spike
plumby74
Minor Friendly

Post by plumby74 »

Hi Spike,

We may be drawing a blank, as the plain steel Minor q'light frames (stored under my house) prove to be for the Driver's side. Maybe the plain steel frame with the suitable hinge spacing could be converted?

I have two types of stainless frame for the passenger side: am unsure what model Morris the one with fixed pins suits. Clearly it would need a differently shaped rubber surround.

Somewhere I do have (what I presume is) the rare early-shape MM rubber for that model's q'light. I tried to fit same to a later Minor and had to remove it again, but it is intact. As yet I have not located it...frustrating.

Whatever frame you use, you will have to re-fit the super-rare curved MM window catch using a new pin.

Can't see how to post the photos, so you will have to contact me direct on plumbyliz@gmail.com
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Spike. Did you win those ones on Ebay? I avoided bidding, just in case. I would have gone to £50!! :D

Anyway, I've just found 2 good frames and a pair of Lowlight early rubber seals for the quaterlights, so I'm happy today. Took me ages to get the crates down through the loft hatch but it was worth it. I knew I had some good frames somewhere but didn't realise they were the early ones.
Cardiff, UK
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Hi Rob, I'm only just now returning to this issue since we are now into February 2018. This matter has not moved on since my last post so your Oct post really caught my eye. Seems you might have something(s) to fit my needs. That is passenger side quarterlight and suitable rubbers. Please can you send me a PM with any further details and perhaps photos if available. Many thanks and look forward to further details. Welcome your feedback. Regards...spike
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Ah, those ones have gone. Sorry.
Cardiff, UK
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

HI Rob, Man I'm totally gutted. But if you hear of or discover anything further please do let me know. Still got one quarter light (Pside) to find prior to chroming entire frames. Cheers for now.....Regards.....spike
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

I thought you had bought those ones on Ebay so I'm afraid I let them go to someone who emailed me shortly after. I'll keep an eye out for any more for you.

I did think about making a former out of a sheet of steel cut to the right curve but with a thin piece ground off to allow a thin strip of steel to sit in the gap, thus allowing the edges to be beaten over and flattened, if you see what I mean.
Cardiff, UK
plumby74
Minor Friendly

Post by plumby74 »

Spike, I now have discovered (on a Series MM wreck I bought) a Passenger-side vent-window frame in plain steel, still fitted with a broad-spaced chrome hinge (pin part).
The locking latch chrome-lever is snapped, but the spot-welded mount on the frame is intact.
It is however rusted somewhat at the front corner, but that could be built-up if you were keen.
Will take some photos: my direct email is shown earlier in this thread.
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Phil. Any chance you could post the pics here so we have a record of the visual differences between the types?

Thanks.

Rob
Cardiff, UK
plumby74
Minor Friendly

Post by plumby74 »

Rob, it sounds to me very involved to post here the pic of the vent window! ("you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc.")

Think I can only manage to email the pic to yours and any other email addresses I am advised of! (Why does this site make the process so cumbersome??)

BTW, there is nothing special about this pass-side vent glass frame: it did not originally have the curved-type chrome handle. Also it needs repair to the steel curve so is nothing to get excited about!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

plumby74 wrote: it sounds to me very involved to post here the pic of the vent window! ("you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.example.com/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc.")
Plumby: I think you might be looking at old instructions for pic uploading. You can easily upload pictures stored on your computer, or cloud and attach them to forum posts, using the 'attachments' button at the bottom of the posting form. You may find it less easy to upload via an android device, than from a PC platform. (Not sure if Mac/iPhone etc is any less/more easy). Currently there seems to be no facility for sending pics or other attachments to a private message.
1956 4-door called Max
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

qlights.jpg
qlights.jpg (75.92 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
The only pic I've got. 2 screws on the outside of the frame, curved handle and only 1 big screw holding the lower pivot block into the frame.

Sorry, Phil. I now realise what version you are talking about. :oops:
Cardiff, UK
plumby74
Minor Friendly

Post by plumby74 »

Try these of the early Lowlight door-tops and a single pass-side vent window-frame that I have come across.

I have sent these photos and some others direct to Harry T.
Attachments
3-P1030382.JPG
3-P1030382.JPG (82.27 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
2-P1030383.JPG
2-P1030383.JPG (72.16 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
1-P1030384.JPG
1-P1030384.JPG (72.73 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your interest in my quarter light issue. This issue remains outstanding. In the end I did not bid on the pair on eBay as I was not certain after speaking with ByranG (sparesman) that they were in fact the same profile for my 1949 Low Light. Perhaps I was too cautious in this case. I have also been talking to plumby74 and exchanging emails but so far not found an exact replacement. Therefore the search continues. Refer to the photo attachments which show my damaged N/side and good O/side quarter lights/ vents. Any further feedback is very welcome. Regards.....spike (harryT)
Attachments
O/side quarter light/ vent
Quarter_06.jpg (93 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
Quarter_05.jpg (169.59 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
N/side quarter light/ vent
Quarter_04.JPG (89.91 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
Quarter_03.jpg (85.57 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Aren't some people in Bath selling new ones in SS? If so, maybe they could do some mild steel ones?

Harry. Can you measure the thickness of the steel as accurately as possible, just to check against a later type? I might end up having a go at making some steel ones or repair sections for them.
Cardiff, UK
spike_esq
Minor Friendly

Post by spike_esq »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. I will speak with those people you mention but their range does not appear to cover the "low light" styling. They do appear to be in stainless steel however. Not certain of the material quality or origin of manufactured.

I've taken a measurement of the material thickness by metric micrometer and it's 3.0mm. Note this thickness does include the external layer of chrome plating. I'm not able to measure the chrome plating separately. Seems chrome can be between 3 - 5 mils and thicker might cause cracking . I will talk to the experts when I'm ready to get the frames re-plated.

Welcome any further comments. Are you going to attempt to make one? I wonder if it is possible to purchase the "U" section steel as a reasonable starting point. Look forward to more. Cheers.

Regards,
Harry.