Here's a new one.

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
viewsonic1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Here's a new one.

Post by viewsonic1 »

Despite owning a car for over forty years, I find there are still things you can learn with motoring related issues.
At my place of work today I noticed, as I looked out of the first floor canteen window, a car with the hazard lights flashing. As I realised it belonged to a lady in another department, I sought her out to put her wise. The puzzlement on her face immediately made me think I had made an error and it wasn't her car at all. However all was revealed on her return.
It transpired her Satnav had fallen from the windscreen and caught the hazard flasher switch.....
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Here's a new one.

Post by alanworland »

What's the chance of that happening!
I once got pulled up for not displaying a tax disc - it was one of those screwback sucker type, which had lost its suck and fell off!

Alan
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I suppose if something can happen,eventually it will. That's maybe why people still do the lottery.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I arrived into the work car park the other day to see a colleagues Merc boot open. When mentioned to him, after a few choice words he said it kept opening from the remote in his pocket when he moved about! Also said it had opened one night it rained and soaked everything inside :lol:

Too many Minors so little time.....
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

alanworland wrote:What's the chance of that happening!
I once got pulled up for not displaying a tax disc - it was one of those screwback sucker type, which had lost its suck and fell off!

Alan
The year I had the Midget, the tax disc flew off. It appeared to have gone, as the roof was down. I got a very good holder (From Halfords as it happens), that sticks to the window with foam rubber and the tax disc is held in under a sliding lid. I obtained a new tax disc (Got a ticket whilst I was in the process of doing so - but I was able to get it stopped) and months later the old one turned up in a place I would never have expected to find it!! Of course tax discs are no longer needed but the holder is still there after nearly 33 years; now with a period repro disc, based on the first one the car would have had.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Talking Tax Discs, in the days when you had to take your old disc into the post office my wife had done that and when she came back to the car she was presented with a ticket for not displaying a valid tax disc!
Luckily it didn't go any further!

Alan
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Was it the same clown, who issued a parking ticket to my parents, at a car park in Boscastle. If I remember correctly, rather than glue the ticket to the screen and get glue on the glass, they laid it flat on the top of the dashboard, so that it could be read.

When they challenged the fine and proved that they had bought a ticket, instead of getting a apology, they got a churlish letter, which stated that the authorities in Boscastle will be keeping an eye out for this car in future. If the writer of the letter had anything between their ears, they might have realised that Boscastle is 180 miles from my parents' home and that their time would be better spent on a more fruitful vigil.
SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Without such 'jobsworths' we wouldn't have such great stories to tell!
leafie

Post by leafie »

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:I arrived into the work car park the other day to see a colleagues Merc boot open. When mentioned to him, after a few choice words he said it kept opening from the remote in his pocket when he moved about! Also said it had opened one night it rained and soaked everything inside :lol:
Not just Merc's, I came out of the house the other morning to find the boot wide open on my xf and everything wet through. The annoying thing is when I press to open the boot it has only ever opened an inch even though it should apparently fully open. Well the dammed thing did that night.
MorrismattVan
Minor Friendly

Post by MorrismattVan »

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH wrote:I arrived into the work car park the other day to see a colleagues Merc boot open. When mentioned to him, after a few choice words he said it kept opening from the remote in his pocket when he moved about! Also said it had opened one night it rained and soaked everything inside :lol:
Well at least you can't have them sort of problems with a Morris minor, or classic! I know the world is getting quite impressive with all this new technology, but it does have its flaws too!
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

My 'Other Car' is a Ford Kuga and I'd had it nearly 3 years before I found that if the remote's Unlock Button gets somehow operated for several seconds in your pocket, all the windows open!

I got up this morning and noticed that the neighbour's car parked on their drive right outside their front door, had a rear door open.
Well we live in a very quiet cul-de-sac, but an hour later it was still open, with no obvious lights on in the house.
I think they had got home late last night and got their 3 small kids out of the car, forgetting to shut and lock it behind them... It was drizzling all night :oops:
Basil the 1955 series II

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Doesn't matter how clever technology gets, a human will always beat it!
When we change our 'modern', 8yr old Jeep, it's going to be tricky because we want something nice but low tech. You know,proper switches and none of this touchscreen carp. But comfy seats and a nice simple stereo to play cd's on. No parking sensors or cameras. Bu**er Bluetooth and all that stuff...
Well,nothing new seems to exist in that category. Maybe a market opportunity?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Bottom-of-range Dacia Duster lacks most gadgets including leccy windows. Dunno about the build-quality though...
1956 4-door called Max