Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MKT
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

bonnet hinges

Post by MKT »

Hi
can anyone tell me how to get to the bolts that hold the bonnet hinges to the bodywork

Thanks Ron
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Re: bonnet hinges

Post by ManyMinors »

They are secured by nuts above the gloveboxes. You'll have to remove the glovebox liners to reach them. These differ slightly depending on what age/model Minor you own.
MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Thanks it is a 1968 saloon
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

Ron,
Be very very careful tackling the bonnet hinges. Basically you are working in the dark. You need to use an open end / ring combination spanner. Tie a long piece of string around the ring because if you drop that spanner it is gone forever into the A pillar and there is no easy way of retrieving it. Don't ask me why I had to buy a new spanner! Don't drop the nut and washer either! If you do drop anything you can always remove a door hinge bolt on the pillar and fill the pillar with Waxoil or equivalent to stop the rattles and protect the cavity (which is worth doing anyway!).

Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
MKT
Minor Friendly

Post by MKT »

Thanks Declan, I am having the bonnet resprayed and thought I would put on a new pair of hinges that I brought from ESM, I did not realize it would e so awkward

Ron
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

if the seat of the hinges is in decent fettle, you could always carefully knock the pin out of the hinge and do the same with the replacements, just replacing the most visible and pretty part of the hinges. The pin is splined at both ends. It is the work of seconds as opposed to ages taking the glove box innards etc out and as above losing the nuts does the inner wing / A post. I used a sawn off screwdriver I have for other jobs whose diameter is slightly smaller than the pin.