Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Oldmogman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

FBHVC and the MMOC

Post by Oldmogman »

Am I right in thinking that a proportion of MMOC member's subscription fees go to support the FBHVC?
palacebear
Minor Legend

Re: FBHVC and the MMOC

Post by palacebear »

You may be right, but the Club's published accounts don't provide a breakdown of 'run-of-the-mill' expenditure or income, unless I've looked in the wrong place. You may have to address the question to a committee member for a clear response.

Unlike the MMOC which is a limited company, smaller car clubs usually provide a comprehensive balance sheet at each annual AGM, and also voluntarily send a copy to all current members. These are similar to those provided by individual MMOC branches at local AGMs.

I'm guessing that the MMOC's accounts are more complex given that investments, property costs and paid officers' costs have to be included. As such, they are probably considered a bit too heavy-going for general bed-time reading.
1956 4-door called Max
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Or don't want members to see them.
sparesman
Minor Fan

Post by sparesman »

Check your facts with the club office before making derogatory comments about the club.
Detailed accounts are published each year and are available to all paid up members.
1934 Morris 10/4 in Dark Green / Black - BGO517
1953 S11 Traveller in Birch Grey - oldest survivor ? Export model now reg PPO924
1953 S11 Traveller in Black - 3rd oldest in UK PPX344
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

@sparesman: Bryan - for the benefit of those who may be interested, are you able to tell us how/where to obtain copies of Club accounts?
1956 4-door called Max
Blaketon
Minor Legend

Post by Blaketon »

Would I be right to infer that the gist of this thread is disapproval of the FBHVC?

I have found some at the FBHVC to be stuffy, though there have been some changes of late, seemingly for the better. I am a member of FBHVC, as an individual. Whilst the FBHVC may not be perfect, it's all we've got and if it has shortcomings, I feel they should be addressed, rather than allowed to drag the organisation down.

Ours is a minority pastime (In my case, it's a way of life) and I don't really know how the public at large see it. I am sure there will be a large degree of ambivalence and ignorance. On the whole, the Traveller seems to be well received, at least when it's parked (On the day I collected it, an Australian tourist filmed it at a services and on my first shopping trip, two separate people spoke to me about it, within a few minutes). The MGs seem to be catching on now but it was the Traveller that first introduced me to this kind of thing. Preserved steam railways seem to be well supported and I hope that classic cars can be seen in the same way. I think the two have a lot in common and a classic car show, at a preserved railway, is a favourite for me.

However there are those, who (Perhaps to divert attention from their own shortcomings) claim that old cars are polluting and dangerous. Since a lot if them have only experienced old cars as old bangers, they assume (Note that I don't use the word think) that all old cars are like theirs were (Only worse, as classic cars are a lot older than bangers). This manifests itself in the way that some drivers don't want to be behind a classic car; it doesn't seem to matter whether it's the Traveller, the Midget or the V8. The MGB GT V8 was never well known; even in their day most people assumed it was a 1.8, so perhaps it's not a good test. Does anyone have an E Type Jaguar, which everyone knew was fast and if so, do "Moderns" generally resent being behind it? The point is, even if negativity is the result of unfounded assumptions, it may well represent the views of the majority. Politics often seems to be a form of marketing and the wishes of a minority will not be considered important, when it comes to vote enticing policies (You have to hope for a vested interest in high places). We need someone to coordinate the fight against this kind of thing, especially when you have an anti classic car chancellor, who then becomes prime minister.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

I think you can get access to them through the member's area which raises a whole load of issues. I found the accounts easy to understand and well laid out, albeit not that detailed, or at least not as detailed I am used to examining forensically.
oliver1450
MMOC Member: No

Post by oliver1450 »

Just Google Morris Minor Owners Club accounts and all the info is there.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Sparesman I do hope you were not commenting on my post !.The members area is not available to most paid up members as it will not let you in due to this new website .What about committee members personal expenses etc they are not available for members to see at companies house so how do you get to see these .All members should have full access to a limited companies full accounts so where would one get these maybe the accountants ???