Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Blaketon
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Waxoyl protection

Post by Blaketon »

Shropshiremoggie wrote:Great advice coming in from all the Forum members -thanks . I am leaning towards buying a compressor ( why not -a useful tool ) and carrying out a DIY rust proofing job during the summer .
If electric, I'd go for a 3hp (Unless you have 3 phase), which is the maximum on single phase. This means that if you wish, you could run a small blast clean cabinet, which make cleaning bits so much easier than a wire brush (You can do spark plugs with it). Although I have access to the real deal at work (Which has full dust extraction and much more gusto), the little bench top one at home is very useful.

When doing your job this summer, I'd take out the gearbox cover, as you can then see right inside the box sections each side of the engine, just like you see inside the sills, when you remove the plates under the doors.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Thanks Blaketon
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

My budget for a compressor is around £100 which means I am not in the area of 3HP . For my limited usage will a 1.5 suffice ? Would be used for the Waxoyl job and then blowing up tyres . Nothing too industrial !!!!!!!!
Budgie
Minor Addict

Post by Budgie »

I have a 25 litre compressor from Lidl, works fine on most things light weight and should be ok for dispensing wax oil although I haven't tried it out myself and at £70.00 with accessories it's a no brainer .
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

There is no need to buy brand new and to have 3hp.
Unless you intend to undertake professional garage repairs a compressor with a 50 ltr air receiver of the types in the links below would be sufficient and are within your budget.
My own compressor is not much bigger and has the same size air receiver. The size of air receiver is as important as the delivery rate of the compressor pump.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/compressor-a ... SwiBJaORFs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIP-Air-comp ... 0009.m1982

When spraying Waxol thin it right down with white spirit.

Phil

Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Thanks Phil , I am not thinking of going ' into business ' just preserving my Minor , blowing up tyres and general ' amateur ' use .
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

You never know where this Morris Minor business will take you. 8)

minor65
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by minor65 »

My minors are all waxoyled underneath with a 1 inch wide paintbrush, whilst on my back and with the car on axle stands in the air and no ramps etc. The brush is a slow way of doing it but it ensures that all bits are covered and its well applied. All cavaties are waxed with dynax aerosol and lance.

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i did mine with a £50 aldi compressor i put the tin in a bucket of hot water to thin it down . when i worked on a farm we used waxoil on the plough moldboards when the season was done , fantastic stuff the boards were like mirrors did not rust at all
[sig]5641[/sig]
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Another use for waxoyl - I put new bumper blades on about three years ago. I used copper ease on the six little chrome, dome-headed bolts and the over rider bolts, but also then sprayed the nuts with clear waxoyl out of a canister. Gave 'em a good coating. I had to take replace two of these little bolts the other day because they had started to rust and they came off real easy. Did the same with these two replacements and sprayed the others again for good measure. As many will know, when these bolts rust up, they are a real menace to get off!
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

i put grease on the traveller rear blade bolts
[sig]5641[/sig]