Well Hello There....

Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mgsteve
MMOC Member: No

Well Hello There....

Post by mgsteve »

Just thought I’d be courteous and say hello as I’m new to the world of Morris Minors and will be looking to gain the upper hand on a somewhat deshrevelled pickup bought off the bay of e...I have in the past restored a mini,mgb,midget,Land Rover and Austin a35van so alongside all the rust and oily bits I’ve ingested over the years...I’m quite looking forward to the challenge ahead.Its been 6 years since I last had a classic and the itch needed scratching .First up I’ll be trying to get the true identity sorted as there seems to be a few discrepancies in the numbers and no v5 at present to reference.It may all be ok but trawling around it looks like a minefield of numbers and letters to decipher.....So there we are, that’s me from The Last of the Summer Wine town Holmfirth with a rusty non running Morris saying Hello...Hopefully I’ve put this in the right place :)
busguy
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Well Hello There....

Post by busguy »

Welcome Steve! You live in a great place! I used to live at Hogley Farm, just off the climb out of Holmfirth on the A635 over Saddleworth Moor. What details have you got for the car? Reg number, car 'chassis' number, body number (top right of bulkhead under bonnet). All those can date the car, but DVLA usually need documetary proof if you are to keep the same registration. good luck with the project!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Hi mgsteve and welcome. Sounds like you've set yourself a challenge! Discrepancies in numbers and no V5 sounds worrying. Sadly the auction site you refer to is getting a slight reputation for allowing sellers to offer vehicles which may not be too kosher! However I'm sure you'll get it sorted somehow.

As busguy states, registration number and 'chassis' number are a good starting point to for DVLA purposes.

Meantime, when you can, post some pics on here. We like to see other folks projects! :)
1956 4-door called Max
mgsteve

Post by mgsteve »

Ha it’s a bit wild up there cheers for reply.......Small thin plate top right Lh = z27923-4.....rh=44897
Reg HGC137J Engine number 10MA-U-H363443... Also there is a new looking chassis plate stamped with number...44891 this looks out of place....paint underneath is Telecom yellow can’t find any other chassis numbers and floor has rotted out.....hopefully there’ll be a useable IDin there somewhere otherwise I’m sucking on lemons...
mgsteve

Post by mgsteve »

I’ll post some pics when I suss it out tonight thanks
busguy
Minor Addict

Post by busguy »

The vehicle is shown on DVLA site as a black Morris registered 23rd March 1971 on MOT page. No further MOT record, so not been MOT'd since 2006, at least. You can at least apply for a replacement reg document as they do have a record of it. Wait until you have any further comments, as the cab may have been on a Telecoms van, and the body/engine numbers might tell us something. The engine is high compression, rather than the normal LCV low compression fitment so is a replacement.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

Welcome Steve.

Sounds like you have a double project on your hands there. Sorting out the hardware and sorting out the documents.

Good luck and do post some pictures!
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Steve
Welcome,no doubt you know that Huddersfield is next on 18th Feb. and there's usually a MM man there with TWO stalls full of goodies.

Cracking view at the top of the A6024.

John :wink:
Manchester
mgsteve

Post by mgsteve »

Haha yes Sleeper I’m pulling out the old pennies from the depths of the settee.....The wife thinks I’m spring cleaning... I’ve certainly missed smuggling “it’ll come in handy”auto jumble finds in under the cover of darkness......
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

HGC 137J rereg
Last edited by POMMReg on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

hello steve you live in gods own county, i plan to retire there hopefully in 5 years , filey for me . we had our camping trip there last year mot/uk i think there were about 50 moggys last year
[sig]5641[/sig]
mgsteve

Post by mgsteve »

POMMReg wrote:HGC 137J started life as a PO engineers van U257017 with rego FVB 830J.

M-AE5 294101F

First yellow PO with "F" chassis suffix.

44891/7 sounds about right, 284001/294001 started at 44601....engine should be a 10V.

Does the above ramblings make sense, or help?
Hi POMMreg thanks for that I’m gathering the info so all goes smooth for the v62 would you know iwould putting just the 448917 on the document suffice for the chassis number or do I need more ?.
The reg plates that are with the van are pressed aluminium so someone has gone to the trouble at sometime to do that and either move or add a chassis plate albeit a bit crudely done which is the main reason for checking before applying for v5....The engine is not too much of a concern I’m presuming it’s been used as a replacement from a car for a tired old workhorse motor and I’ll wait for the v5 before worrying about that.The dvla reg check comes up with colour black which is correct at present....I’ve still not decided which way to go with the resto I’ll be sorting the cab and chassis first before deciding on the back...But I do want to make sure the docs are in order before starting the resto Cheers Steve
mgsteve

Post by mgsteve »

C6965B6B-6C0A-4314-8884-0517DE33FF86.jpeg
C6965B6B-6C0A-4314-8884-0517DE33FF86.jpeg (2.14 MiB) Viewed 1879 times
BF91BD14-3E35-48BA-B69F-8D5E6E5C4495.jpeg
BF91BD14-3E35-48BA-B69F-8D5E6E5C4495.jpeg (2.7 MiB) Viewed 1879 times
5F9796D4-D10D-4CB0-968E-A56700B58DE3.jpeg
5F9796D4-D10D-4CB0-968E-A56700B58DE3.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 1879 times
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

HGC 137J rereg
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!