Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
viewsonic1
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Slow wipers.

Post by viewsonic1 »

Someone remarked today that the wipers seemed "slow" on my 1967 four door saloon. To be honest, I'd never thought about just accepting it is a "period" thing from a bygone era. To be fair, the chap who made the comment isn't into classics but it did make me think. What do other members reckon about their slow wipers?
simmitc

Re: Slow wipers.

Post by simmitc »

First thing is to establish if they are slow or not. The best way would be to go along to a branch meeting or similar event and compare yours with other Minors. If yours are no slower then don't worry. If they are slow then report back and we can guide you through where the problem might lie. I take it that you have got the standard single speed wipers and not the aftermarket two speed kit?
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

Hi, thanks for the reply. Will compare at the next car event I have marked on the calendar. They are the standard single speed wipers and the fact nobody's mentioned them before makes me think all's well. I'd never given it a thought until this remark yesterday.
Thank you again.
jaekl
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by jaekl »

A thin film of silicone windscreen sealer (I wonder how that got there) does a good job of beading the water, so the need for wipers is reduced. The silicone last longer than the brand name treatments.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Sometimes the old grease in the wiper motor can become hard with age and slow up your wipers. Its not a huge job to open this up and clean out the old stuff, Ive seen it become like old brown icing!! With the wiper arms off the rack can also be pulled out and cleaned and re greased. It made a huge difference to the wipers on my split screen.

Too many Minors so little time.....
viewsonic1
Minor Fan

Post by viewsonic1 »

Thanks for all this. Got plenty to go on now!
AndrewT
Minor Fan

Re: Slow wipers

Post by AndrewT »

How was the job on the splitty David? When I got spare time wouldn’t mind tackling this on mine as I have new arms and blades to fitted aswell
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

AndrewT, worst job is getting the fiddly wee bolts out that hold the motor in under the dash. To do it you also will need to undo the wiper wheel boxes as the motor is well tucked up below the screen. Once it out its a handy enough job on the bench to dismantle it all and clean up and refresh the grease. Do put plenty of release oil on the nuts on the wiper wheel boxes before you start, the brass nuts aren't available and you don't want to end up cutting them off.

Its a very easy job in comparison on a 1000 as its sitting on the ps wheel arch, you don't even need to take it off. Just remove the cap undo the contact and the rack can be pulled out.

Too many Minors so little time.....
AndrewT
Minor Fan

Post by AndrewT »

Lovely thanks for the info!