Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Mot

Post by Trickydicky »

Regardless of weather my 1961 car does 100 or 1000 miles per year it will still be mot'd each year. Now I know this does not mean that even after the car leaves the station it is still roadworthy I shall do this for my own piece of mind.
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Shropshiremoggie »

Each to their own . I would certainly not entertain using a vehicle on the road that would endanger others — or me ! Do we assume that all currently exempt vehicle owners are having their cars MOT tested ! For me I have now exhausted this topic and will take the ‘ safe roadworthy ‘ option , whatever other Forum members may deem that to be !
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Apologies , seems to have been posted numerous times !,
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Shropshiremoggie wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:31 pm Apologies , seems to have been posted numerous times !,
No problem, I've deleted the surplus ones!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Cheers Mike !
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Shropshiremoggie wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:30 pm Do we assume that all currently exempt vehicle owners are having their cars MOT tested !
I consider that my days of rolling around under a car are over. An independent and unbiased check once a year won't hurt. Consequently, Max is being tested on Monday.
1956 4-door called Max
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Oh well , at least it invited some comment and confusion !!!!!
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

The logic that old cars are looked after and cover low miles could be extended to traction engines, so can we look forward to abolishing boiler tests? Having been in an MOT bay recently and seen a sub-frame (obviously not a Minor!) attached (a) on a slant and (b) by some incredibly poor welding, I just cannot understand the logic of the car being able to come off the road for a few days and then be declared exempt and be driven again.

An annual or bi-annual test will never stop every defective car being driven on the road, but it would certainly curtail quite a bit of such activity and to abolish it completely is pure madness.
ndevans
Minor Legend

Post by ndevans »

I can't help thinking that we're talking about piffle here. Ok so an MoT *may* be required for this year, for the few months until MoT Exempt can be declared at the next time the car becomes due for road fund. So what? It's £50, assuming a clean pass. Even a small shunt is likely to cost you at least that in insurance excess alone.

My car may or may not be eligible, I have a disc braked, telescopic damper conversion, with a 1275 engine. Even if it is, it's going to get an MoT annually, whether it likes it or not!
cheers N

33063, Eridge, Sept 2021 by Neil Evans, on Flickr
'69 Traveller, 1275, discs.
Ian Jones
Minor Friendly

Post by Ian Jones »

I owned 3 pre-60 vehicles when pre-60s became MoT exempt. They were all MoT'd and taxed at the time. When the MoTs expired I simply carried on using them without MoT then retaxed on line at the appropriate time and the system recognised that they didn't require MoTs to be retaxed. They were all recorded on the V5s as historic, because they were pre-73. Am I missing something here? I must be as there seems to be so much confusion. I should add that I didn't feel I needed MoTs as the vehicles were motorbikes and much easier to be confident of safe condition than cars (certainly to me anyway).

Regards

Ian
sid
Minor Fan

Post by sid »

i have a 1957 AJS combination that i maintain and repair myself.i don't have the time,or skills to maintain my ''66 Herald,so i will continue to have him MOT'd.
mike1864
Minor Fan

Post by mike1864 »

I read somewhere that only 7% of pre-1960 MOT-exempted cars actually get submitted for an MOT. I find this worrying.

I get both mine done, just to cover my a*se in the event of an accident. There's no way I can check brake efficiency without a rolling road. As a bonus my local garage doesn't even charge the full price, as he doesn't have to run the full set of diagnostics needed for a modern car.

Mike
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Having worked myself up into a state of anxiety regarding whether or not to MOT this year, I finally bit the bullet and took Max to be tested this morning. I'd previously carried out a pretty basic visual check of the things I could see without getting a jack out.

I'm glad I made this choice. Whilst Max did pass, there were advisories for slight wear to both leaf spring rear shackle bushes and pins, which I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have noticed. Now at least I can attend to them sooner rather than later when they become an urgent issue.

Test only cost £30. The tester kindly went round under the car with a grease-gun and adjusted the clutch, all at no extra cost.

Thirty quid well spent in my opinion! :)
1956 4-door called Max
Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

Good news PB ( and a wise decision ).
Glad Max will be able to attend the nuptials !!!!
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Much relieved. Wasn't going to pay £200 for a ten-minute ride in an Austin Princess limo, and the best man's Quashqi doesn't quite cut it! :lol:
1956 4-door called Max
RobThomas
Minor Legend

Post by RobThomas »

Has anyone got a copy of the olde "London Brick" Tapley meter test?
Cardiff, UK
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'll be testing the new mot system shortly, I'm taking a vehicle off sorn by taking the V5, plus insurance certificate and presumably some filled in form, to a post office and asking them to tax it. I'll see if they ask for an mot certificate.

Shropshiremoggie
Minor Legend

I look forward to your next post with interest !
jollysmart
Minor Friendly

Post by jollysmart »

les wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:30 pm I'll be testing the new mot system shortly, I'm taking a vehicle off sorn by taking the V5, plus insurance certificate and presumably some filled in form, to a post office and asking them to tax it. I'll see if they ask for an mot certificate.
Apparently the online system has now been updated to allow declaration of VHI, provided the vehicle is already registered as historic, so the PO must have the information to do it over the counter. Vehicles already MOT exempt also have to declare VHI as they may have been modified and not automatically gain VHI status.