Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Tony
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

The New MOT Exemption Rules

Post by Tony »

The guidance for the new rules are at: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... idance.pdf

Importantly in this it states ““If your vehicle does not have a current MOT certificate and is exempt from needing an MOT test you will need to declare this each time when you apply for Vehicle Excise Duty.”

This is further confirmed on the Hagerty Insurance site (https://www.hagertyinsurance.co.uk/arti ... to-the-mot) which says “One of the biggest changes for classic vehicle owners is that VHIs over 40 years old may be exempt from annual MOT testing, as long as they have not been ‘substantially changed’ in the past 30 years. Critically, the exemption will not be automatic, even for cars already exempt (pre-1960) and those registered in the Historic Vehicles tax class. Owners must therefore declare an exemption every time they tax a VHI; details of how to do this are below.”

I have just renewed online the Tax for one of my Morris’s but I didn’t find anywhere a way of declaring my car MOT exempt. Attached is a file containing the screenshots of the renewal.

I am concerned now that without making the annual declaration I will have to MOT the car.

Advice please would be much appreciated.

Tony
Attachments
Composite.jpg
Composite.jpg (790.79 KiB) Viewed 2779 times
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Re: The New MOT Exemption Rules

Post by Biggles1957 »

Did I read somewhere that the first time you had to tax at a Post Office and that you couldn't declare it on line?
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

Hi

Seems to me that when you clicked 'continue' on the second screen you authorised DVLA to check your MOT status.

If they were not happy with your MOT status they would not have processed your application.

Taupe
geoberni
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by geoberni »

Hi Tony
my take on this is thus:

The 'guidance' document to which you linked states:
If your vehicle does not have a current MOT certificate and is exempt from needing an MOT test you will need to declare this each time when you apply for Vehicle Excise Duty.
So this is in relation to renewing the VED, and not anything to do with the requirement for an MOT.

If you renew your VED at a Post office, you are required to fill out the form V112, 'Declaration of Exemption from MOT' , but if you renew online, the government, i.e. DVLA, use their own electronic records of MOT Status. If they are showing your vehicle as exempt, irrespective of what the guidance leaflet says, and they update your VED status, then it's their problem. You have completed the official online process.

It doesn't surprise me that there will be glitches between the 'guidance' and the way it really works. it might be that the website will eventually get updated to have a tick box for you to confirm that there have been no changes, but I think for online it will remain the same. I suspect only people making an initial MOT Exempt declaration will need to use the V112.

Further, it's worth noting that the sentence quoted above is part of the section of the document entitled "Advice (not part of the Guidance)"
So if it's Advice, how can it make that statement as a 'fact', it is after all, only 'advice'.
As to your statement
This is further confirmed on the Hagerty Insurance site
I would not agree, since they are just regurgitating the same info which they have coped from the first link you gave.
This is how 'Fake News' spreads, from website to website, gaining momentum.

In my job, I have on more than one occasion found incorrect information given on multiple websites, all because each one has plagiarised another.
Basil the 1955 series II

Tony
Minor Friendly

Post by Tony »

Thanks everyone. I have since found that if you use the DVLA facility "Check if a vehicle is taxed" it also gives the MOT status. Mine I see is shown as Exempt so I was probabaly worrying over nothing.
HarryMango
Minor Addict

Post by HarryMango »

I had similar concerns - my 1961 Travellers tax expired 31 May but MOT was 2 June - I retaxed vehicle online & there was no option to declare MOT exemption (MOT was still current) - I have today retaxed online (it let me even though it told me I was already taxed) & the declaration came up so I declared MOT exempt & it went through ok

Rog
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Post by BrianHawley »

I think that’s all fairly clear.

What is boggling me is where the line is drawn regarding significant modifications taking a car out of the class. Blower on A series engine? Vertical shocks? Five-link rear end? (Remove rug, picnic basket and nodding dog?)

There seems to be a gray area around the more minor upgrades.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

I got pulled over by the rozzers last weekend in the saloon.

Conversation as follows...

' good morning Sir, we'd just like to point out that your MOT expired on the 12th of May so you need to get that sorted'

'Thank you officer, but I am now exempt from MOT'

'No Sir, not road tax, the actual MOT'

'yes, it's now exempt. New legislation came in on the 20th of May that any car over 40 years, on a rolling basis, is now MOT exempt'

'Are you sure?'

'yes, very. If you'd like to check I'm more than happy for you to'

'Oh okay Sir, no need, I'll have to take your word for that, have a good day'

And that was it.

the car was garaged between the 12th and 20th as I was away on holiday, which was handy. I need to put a plate on the front nearside chassis rail but will still put in in for an MOT in a couple of weeks.

So it seems it hasn't quite filtered down the system yet and the ANPR picked it up.
BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

Johnny wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:17 am I got pulled over by the rozzers last weekend in the saloon.

Conversation as follows...

' good morning Sir, we'd just like to point out that your MOT expired on the 12th of May so you need to get that sorted'

'Thank you officer, but I am now exempt from MOT'

'No Sir, not road tax, the actual MOT'

'yes, it's now exempt. New legislation came in on the 20th of May that any car over 40 years, on a rolling basis, is now MOT exempt'

'Are you sure?'

'yes, very. If you'd like to check I'm more than happy for you to'

'Oh okay Sir, no need, I'll have to take your word for that, have a good day'

And that was it.

the car was garaged between the 12th and 20th as I was away on holiday, which was handy. I need to put a plate on the front nearside chassis rail but will still put in in for an MOT in a couple of weeks.

So it seems it hasn't quite filtered down the system yet and the ANPR picked it up.
I think I might print out a copy of the relevant legislation and keep it in the glove box, just in case.
Brian

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I'd be blown away if the police took my word for something like that. In fact I'd be rather concerned!

BrianHawley
Minor Fan

Post by BrianHawley »

I’ve never managed to get pulled over by the bluebottles in Jodie.

Even tried drag racing them off the lights, but they never noticed :)

Must get a blower.
Brian

Johnny
Minor Friendly

Post by Johnny »

After this happened, I went online and re-did my tax, after all it doesn't cost anything.

then the box for MOT exempt came up, which I ticked and it all went through fine.

although, I have just checked on the site and it still says no MOT status returned!!