Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
cv01jw
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Hello from Dorset

Post by cv01jw »

Hello All

As a newbie Minor owner I thought I would introduce myself here. I am James, from Blandford in Dorset and I have always had an interest in cars but have never really been in a position to have one I can play with - they have always been daily drivers which I have needed for work etc and so I have been reluctant to do much work myself. Thankfully, I am now in a position where I can run a 'weekend' toy to mooch around Dorset in and learn my way around a car.

I have been looking for a Minor which fits my budget for a little while - this has been quite difficult as many cars seem to be very cheap and require full restoration, or very expensive and hence fully restored. I am looking for something in between, in decent running condition but which I will be comfortable working on.

I am pleased to say I have found the perfect car here on the MMOC forum - it is the Yukon Grey saloon in the Cars for Sale section - I saw it on Monday, put down a deposit and hope to collect it soon.

I am sure I will have many questions as I find my way around the car, and apologise in advance for asking things which may well be very simple :)
BrianHawley
Minor Fan
Location: Yanbu Al-Sinaiyah, Saudi Arabia (temporary posting)

Re: Hello from Dorset

Post by BrianHawley »

Hi James.

Welcome to the world of Minor ownership.

All the best with your new car.

Dorset is certainly a nice place for a weekend drive.
Brian

Image "Jodie". '67 Traveller, 1275, discs, suspension mods etc.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Welcome to the forum. I've just looked at the advert... looks like a nice car! Enjoy! :)
1956 4-door called Max
Dogsdad
Minor Friendly

Post by Dogsdad »

Greetings from the other end of the country ( just north of Hadrians Wall ).
You seen to have picked a decent car.
Any queries just ask on the forum. Everyone will be keen to help.
Take your time and enjoy the summer drives.
Don't go mad and start buying new bits until you get used to the car. If it runs OK leave it alone for now.
Best wishes , Richard M.

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

Probably the best classic car to have, although I've still got a deep affection for my Austin A30! The Minor is more usable,and only slightly less cute.
cv01jw
Minor Friendly

Post by cv01jw »

I collected the car yesterday and the 40 mile drive home was probably the most fun I have ever had in a car :)

I did find the lack of mirrors a little disconcerting - I tend to use my mirrors a lot - and so I have ordered a pair of door mirrors which should be entertaining to fit when they arrive.

Other than that, I will simply enjoy it for a while, before embarking on a plan to decluttter it of the additional lights at the back and reinstate the trafficators.
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

If you are going back to trafficators with nothing else, it would pay, of safety and visibility grounds to instal the LED festoon bulbs which flash within the trafficator arms.No relay or flasher unit needed, simply a bulb swap.

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... -bulbs.php

http://youtu.be/yJLwsODIRho
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Agree ... and I have them fitted. Standard trafficator bulbs are 3-watt and almost completely invisible in bright sunlight. The LED flashing bulbs (quite expensive) are equivalent to approximately 12-watt ... still never going to be dazzling but at least visible in sunlight and generally more noticeable.
1956 4-door called Max
ManyMinors
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by ManyMinors »

My advice to anyone contemplating "going back to trafficators and nothing else" would be......... Don't. :wink:
Craig20two
Minor Friendly

Post by Craig20two »

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new car! Just had a peak, looks great. Enjoy!! :D
Stanley.
1967 Morris Minor 1000 Deluxe 2 Door Saloon
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Hi and welcome :D and very nice car
cv01jw
Minor Friendly

Post by cv01jw »

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding the switch back to trafficators, at the same time I will be installing flashers both front and rear which are concealed within the original light fittings - I saw them in a recent article in Practical Classics and they are produced by bettercarlighting.co.uk

I agree, I would not want to run on trafficators alone.