Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster
MMOC Member: Yes

Anniversary Celebration

Post by Admin »

MMOC members are invited to join a unique celebration to mark the anniversary of the launch of the Minor on 20 September 1948. It'll be held on 23 September at Nuffield Place, the home of William Morris and at T-block in Oxford. Only SEVENTY vehicles will be accepted, each getting a unique plaque and keyring. Please have a look at the website for the rally at http://nuffield70.mmoc.org.uk/
route.jpg
route.jpg (198.22 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Anniversary Celebration

Post by geoberni »

Anyone got any idea what the turn-round is like on getting a response from the Office when applying for this?
Once your form is accepted you will be asked to phone the Derby office to make the £10 payment
Hours, Days?
Basil the 1955 series II

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

Some people have got emails saying that they have been accepted and asking them to ring the office. Try calling them between 10:00 and 15:00. If they're not able to answer then leave a message on the machine and they'll call you back.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Thanks.
Was just wondering what was a 'reasonable' period to wait before ringing. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Apparently 14:50 was too near going home time... I'll see what happens tomorrow :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Everyone who has applied to come has had an email confirming their application. In other news, my bank - who have a team of apparently hundreds of people in backroom operations - have so far taken three days to reply to a form submission. I'm going to ring them and complain tomorrow...
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

My acceptance email came in at 22.20 last night. from our illustrious Admin :wink: :D
Thank you.

I'll be ringing up shortly!

Now to break it to the Mrs that it's going to be a very early start that day as I recon it's going to take us nearly 4 hours at Moggie speeds... :o

Admin, I feel your pain.... I'm having problems with my Gas/Elect supplier who seem incapable of getting the Day/Night Elect readings the right way around.
I'm only paying single tariff rate but every time they cross the numbers over, I don't get a bill generated because the computer sees one set of numbers rocket up, while the other goes in reverse.
Basil the 1955 series II

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Admin's still working at gone 10pm at night? Who'd have thought it? :D
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Oh dear. Hope everyone enjoys their day at Nuffield Place... we won't be there as spent too long broken down.... and then getting recovered home.... :cry:
A1 again.jpg
A1 again.jpg (531.36 KiB) Viewed 3524 times
Basil the 1955 series II

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Sorry to hear that - hope at least the recovery went okay! The event was pretty good considering the weather - I'll put up some pictures in a bit
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Nickol
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Nickol »

What was the reason for the breakdown? It looks like the police were looking after you - I have the feeling that in a similar situation, our polizei would just issue a fine for illegal parking..................
Gott schütze mich vorm Sturm und Wind und Autos, die aus England sind.
download/file.php?id=4822[/sig]
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Nickol wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:47 pm What was the reason for the breakdown? It looks like the police were looking after you - I have the feeling that in a similar situation, our polizei would just issue a fine for illegal parking..................
I broke down the previous week and the Recovery technician said it was the electronic 'points' not switching. When I got the car home from that recovery, it started fine and I just couldn't find any fault. So I changed the electronic unit anyway, and it ran OK all week, probably about 40 miles.
Yesterday it suddenly failed again, but this time the fault stayed there and it is the Coil (an open circuit primary winding, the one the 12v connects to). I dind't have a spare coil in the car and recovery people don't carry such spares these days.

By the time we'd been recovered to home, it was 10:00, 4 hours after we'd set out, so too late to do anything... :cry:

The Police were great. I'd dressed Basil up to represent a 50's Police car and they were really interested in the age of the car, putting it out on Twitter to their colleagues.
https://twitter.com/OakhamPolice/status ... 1652830208

On the bright side, I now know that the electronic unit I replaced last week is almost certainly good, so I can keep it as a spare... :-?
Basil the 1955 series II

Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Geo, I'll arrange for the office to post you out the plaque and keyring but it probably won't be until the end of the week as the ones left are in my boot still, but it will come. If it's not arrived at the end of next week, drop me a line and I'll sort it. Hope the car is fine now!
Had to inclue a pic from the day, and this one was taken by Richard Hobbis - I think as a panorama shot on his phone. Definitely one of my favourites of the day!
42314517_10155890006461864_6395808170396090368_o.jpg
42314517_10155890006461864_6395808170396090368_o.jpg (402.43 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

That's a great picture! But what a poor turnout of cars. Is that all that the club could muster?
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

Yeah, we were all waiting for you...
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Thanks for that Admin :)
Was pig sick that we missed out... a lot of 'if Only' was going though my head yesterday after I realised it was the Coil. :evil:
Basil the 1955 series II

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Admin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:44 pm Yeah, we were all waiting for you...
Haha, fair enough. I'm just surprised that a club of more than 10,000 members got so little response :cry: . I did think of going but have had quite a few Sundays off for car events this year and by the time the family had discussed attending this I though all the places would have been taken. I did try telephoning the club office but got no reply and I did ask a contact at BMW but the visitor centre there knew nothing about the event.....

Oh well. Glad you had a good day. We did get to some of the other 70th Anniversary events!
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

I restricted the number to seventy, but we only actually had sixty vehicles apply. The weather forecast wasn't just bad though, it was catastrophic with Yellow Weather Warnings from the Met Office for heavy rain all day, and another one for high winds in the afternoon, so I'm not surprised that we lost a third of those due to either breakdowns or choosing to stay home in the dry! Forty cars came to Nuffield Place, and twenty five of those came to the second destination at T Block, which given that we considered cancelling the event a couple of days beforehand, isn't too bad really!
Sorry you didn't get a reply at the office - sometimes they're already on a call, but if you leave a message you should get a fairly quick reply between 9am and 3pm. BMW only have a single person trained to open the museum building at weekends, and unfortunately she was already committed to another event elsewhere, which was itself cancelled due to bad weather apparently!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

There are photos from the day now on the website at http://nuffield70.mmoc.org.uk/Pics.html, and a link to the full Flickr gallery. Thanks to the contributors :D
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

A grand variety of cars :).