Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Mike Shipman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Minor Matters Mag Nov/Dec 2018

Post by Mike Shipman »

Just a little shout out for the mag producers...
As well as being an entertaining and informative read, this edition had a “compostable wrapper” as opposed to the previous plastic. It’s maybe a small thing, but if all organisations / companies etc did a similar small thing, then that would result in a big thing and start to impact upon the , production at least, of more plastics that the world definitely doesn’t need.
Well done MMOC!
Mike Shipman,
Seaton, Torpoint, Cornwall.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Minor Matters Mag Nov/Dec 2018

Post by geoberni »

Me being a bit of a cynic, although I'd love to give credit to MMOC for taking the lead in using starch biopolymer packaging, there's a good chance that it was just a decision made by Lavenham Press, who publish and distribute it for the MMOC...
After all, they're not likely to run 2 separate bagging lines, one with plastic, one with biopolymer :wink: :D

http://www.lavenhampress.com/what-we-do/

On a more serious note, it's worth mentioning that there's a great piece on p33 about MOT testing on potentially Exempt Vehicles, with a specific mention of Minor Convertibles, which is very relevant to this recent topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69383

It's not an issue that particularly affects me, since Basil is a '55 and has very few changes, but I know there are many MMOC members with all sorts of modifications to their vehicles. :D
Basil the 1955 series II

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I don't care who made the decision, just pleased someone did. Thanks to someone out there!

simmitc

Post by simmitc »

It's a shame that some people don't seem want to credit the MMOC with doing something good :( Anyone who reads Minor Matters should remember that this subject was reported fully on page 5 of the September/October edition. The new packing does incur an additional cost, but the Committee agreed that it was the "right" thing to do; it has nothing to do with how many bagging lines Lavenham Press has available. Anyway, anyone who has worked in any sort of production environment will know that raw materials are frequently changed to produce different products. One printer will happily swap between different weights, sizes and textures of paper; and a bagging line can be loaded with different wrappers :roll: As per the OP, the Club should be congratulated.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

OK, I hang my head in shame, but willing to give credit where due, so well done to the Committee.....

I didn't remember the Rays Ramble from the previous magazine, perhaps I'd turned over two pages in my haste to read it... :oops:

Now that we've sorted out the bag for the magazine, can we get this forum working in a consistently satisfactory manner... :wink:

Edited to add: We get around 5-7 magazines in the post each month (varies as some like MM are not monthly), and around half are now in such non-plastic bags, so it's increasingly common.

Oh, and thanks to simmitc for enlightening me as to the production process. (sorry there's no 'Thumbs up' Smilie...)
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

In 40 years time biopolymer packaging will more than likely to be considered harmful to the planet :wink:

SteveClem
Minor Legend

Post by SteveClem »

I remember being dead impressed when Somerfield supermarkets introduced compostable carrier bags some years ago.
Trouble was they biodegraded on the way home and everything fell out of the bottom. Lost a bottle of gin that way,she wasn't happy.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

So that's what the £2 increase in membership is paying for :lol:
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

------------- ADMIN NOTE -------------

I attempted to split this thread here, with the posts above relevant to the original topic and the ones that were previously below moved off to a new thread in 'Problems with the messageboard'. Unfortunately, (a) I should have waited til I got to my desktop computer rather than tried it on my phone, (b) I was in a rush anyway as I've somewhere I needed to be, (c) I'm a halfwit, or (d) any combination of the above. But for whichever reason, I've ended up losing the three posts that were here about, ironically, issues with the board. My apologies - I'll try and take more care next time! Please feel free to start a thread in that forum if you can remember roughly what you said!
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
minor65
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by minor65 »

Some members in northern ireland including myself haven't a clue yet what it looks like. As we haven't received it yet. I have been a member for 18 years and recent members from Italy have received their's a week ago !!!!! Not very pleased i have to say.

geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Five years on, and the Nov/Dec 2023 Edition has arrived.
I hope everyone else is lucky enough to get theirs intact, mine came very close to being lost in the sorting machinery from the looks of it.
The Magazine weighs 222g, the additional anniversary 'bookazine' as it's apparently called, weighs in at a further 367g, so a 165% increase in weight, plus 2 items unrestrained moving around inside it..... Not sure the publishers thought that through....
20231104_133333.jpg
20231104_133333.jpg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 2717 times
Perhaps time to consider moving to paper packaging? We used to get several periodicals in this Starch type bag, the rest have all changed to paper, Minor Matters is the last one we get like this.

My wife went to an event where the speaker was from Viola the recycling company (amongst other things) and the speaker said that they don't like the eco mailing bags because people put them in their garden waste as degradable/compostable and all that happens is they blow around the recycling sites as litter.
I wonder if that's why there has been a change away from them in other organisations?

What's other peoples experience of different magazines arriving at home?
Basil the 1955 series II

Classiccars
Minor Addict

Post by Classiccars »

Anything is better than plastic I think.
Bill_qaz
Minor Addict

Post by Bill_qaz »

Mine arrived with wrapper undamaged, perhaps it was caused pushing through your letterbox. Wrapper went in recycle bin, don't recall any indication of what it's made from so how do you know how it should be disposed of?
Regards Bill