NEC classic car show

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Propshaft
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

NEC classic car show

Post by Propshaft »

Went to the NEC classic car show on Friday really good show ,but is it worth £33 ticket , £1-95 admin fee , £16-00 parking total £50-95 . Sorry after supporting this event over roughly the last 30years this will be my last one
SteveClem
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: NEC classic car show

Post by SteveClem »

I made the same decision a few years ago. The food prices are a rip off too!
win
Minor Fan

Post by win »

Hi All
Yes it is very expensive, and very large, far too much to see properly, the price can be trimmed a little by pre planning.

But our stand did themselves proud again, well done to all concerned, thanks for the tea and biscuits, and a place to rest my weary legs.

Regards Win
South Yorkshire
Propshaft
Minor Fan

Post by Propshaft »

Not complaining about the show it was as you said good and v large and I am also grateful for the tea and buiscuits at the mmoc stand and also the tr register were I am also a member. I did pre order my ticket but unfortunately there is no discount for Friday
smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

A really nice day, EYTCC coach from Hull , door to door £13, entrance £25, tea and a chat with some old friends at the Morris Minor and Morris register stands, great show, just managed to get round what I planned and a safe trip home. Some extra ordinary prices at the auto jumble, some of the scrap I have in the shed is definitely going on ebay now !!
BTU268F
Minor Friendly

Post by BTU268F »

Going to price the ordinary classic car owner out of the show, I was there this year for the first time in about 10 years, very expensive weekend, and I’ll not be back again, £16 for parking extortionate, and the discount tickets were devalued once the £2 booking fee was applied. All very well paying £76 for a couple to attend and park for the day if you were I hall1 with the super expensive stuff, but too expensive for me to do again. Going to the restoration show in March, hopefully this will be better value.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Already out of my price range. Tickets, booking fee, parking, lunch and coffee = 2 weeks supermarket shopping for me and Mrs PB :(
1956 4-door called Max
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

I'm struggling to disagree - the prices are becoming stratospheric in recent years, and I personally think it's very poor value for money. The trouble is, as a club we feel that we are 'expected' to be there and members won't be happy if we're not. There's also the intangible stuff like simply stoking someone's interest who later decides to become a member, etc. On the flip side of that, I think the 33% rise in parking charge from last year, with sweet naff all to show for the increase, is [censored] barmy, and I genuinely would not pay that much to go. I was on the stand this year so was there all three days - here's my car and trailer on the stand
traveller_and_teardrop_at_the_NEC.jpg
traveller_and_teardrop_at_the_NEC.jpg (97.8 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Smithskids seems to have got a good deal! Last time I went we arrived by train which saved the ridiculous parking charge but I haven't been for some time. I do agree that it would be hard for such a large club to not be present. I assume visitor numbers are still fairly high?

Your car looks great Mike - as always 8) . Do you have any other pics of the club stand?
Admin
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Admin »

19.jpg
19.jpg (77.85 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
18.jpg
18.jpg (80 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
17.jpg
17.jpg (77.68 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
16.jpg
16.jpg (76.8 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
15.jpg
15.jpg (86.55 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
14.jpg
14.jpg (80.79 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
13.jpg
13.jpg (83.69 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (92.63 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (84.62 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (83.09 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
10.jpg
10.jpg (83.09 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (96.21 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (77.94 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (85.86 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (84.32 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (85.01 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (83.92 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
attachment]
Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (80.78 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (71.93 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
Mike Dean
MMOC Webmaster
Murrayminor
Minor Addict

Post by Murrayminor »

I didn't manage to get to Birmingham this year as I was in Flanders for Armistice day.
I have to say though it does sound like another show getting out of hand for the average person.
But what do people want? do they want a small show with a limited attractions/model/marques on show or even just a model specific show.

The NEC show attempts to please everyone and it must be a logistical nightmare to organise.
Maybe the should reduce the parking fees somewhat next year.
There was a survey going round today on Twitter asking for feedback.
I will try find the link and you can voice your concerns to the organisers.
Proud owner of my first Morris Minor
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Thanks for posting the photos Mike. What a great and diverse selection of Minors 8)
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Yes - thanks indeed Mike. Gives those of us who couldn't attend a taste of the weekend 😊
1956 4-door called Max
GavinL
Minor Fan

Post by GavinL »

What were the trade stands like? My impression from the few shows I attend these days is that the major traders don’t bother as they do better via the internet, and the stuff at shows is often not worth it. Personally I prefer the less formal gatherings like Camerton gathering and Thornfalcon, where you see used, unusual cars - I dont imagine they had a 1.3 Montego at the NEC😀
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

GavinL wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:55 pm I don't imagine they had a 1.3 Montego at the NEC😀
Probably not, because the entry fee would have been more than the car's value :wink:

Seriously though, Classic Car ownership is a broad church and I think we have to accept that these high end shows at expensive venues are largely aimed at the more expensive end of the Classic Car market. It would be a great risk to stage such a large show outside in November and the big indoor venues are always going to be a bit pricey aren't they. At least it does mean that there is something for Classic Car enthusiasts to do in the winter!